English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 October 2010, 20:38   #1
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Question EasyNet question.

Hi,

After reading that AmiTcp is faster and lighter than MiamiDX, I installed it using EasyNet, and it works great Now my question is this: How can I use EasyNet's AmiTcp part without actually using the EasyNet front-end (I want to use EasyNet to configure AmiTcp, but nothing more)?

I've looked in the AmiTcp directories, but have failed to spot anything to activate the network

Any help is appreciated
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 October 2010, 22:17   #2
amigakit.com

You can't easily- you are better of just using an Amitcp distribution from another source. Amitcp uses a series of DOS scripting and RX scripts to setup the network - not very user friendly. EasyNet does not use any of this as everything is generated internally.

When you click ONLINE with EasyNet, it does all the hard work. First it checks files for problems, reads your network config then runs through the start-up process and sets up the Interface, finally launching the bsdsocket.library

I am not sure why you would not want to use EasyNet as it does not slow down your connection in any way...

EasyNet will also allow you to shut it's GUI down whilst online to save memory, performance if you wish.
Old 08 October 2010, 22:53   #3
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Theres always NetFS to try. Should be on aminet, but its also built into default Genesis config on OS39 cd. basic but easily used remote drive mounter.
Old 08 October 2010, 23:14   #4
amigakit.com

Regarding NetFS functionality: If you are running EasyNet, you don't need to get your hands dirty writing mount lists- just goto EasyNet's Hosts Manager, select the PC host from the list and click 'Connect To...' button- it will do the hard work for you:

EasyNet will also do VNC to the PC so you can view and control other computers remotely from your Amiga Workbench:

Example screengrab of Workbench / Windows XP here: http://shop.amigakit.com/images/easynet-vnc-screen.jpg

Old 09 October 2010, 17:44   #5
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
I am not sure why you would not want to use EasyNet as it does not slow down your connection in any way...
The reason is that I might want to start the network early in the startup-sequence. If I don't have to use the EasyNet front end, then that's better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Regarding NetFS functionality: If you are running EasyNet, you don't need to get your hands dirty writing mount lists- just goto EasyNet's Hosts Manager, select the PC host from the list and click 'Connect To...' button- it will do the hard work for you:
True, but I don't like the share names. A separate smb mount file does the job, too, and I already had one from MiamiDX
Old 09 October 2010, 18:53   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Okay, problem solved I found a great little thread with very helpful replies by thomas here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=amitcp. It includes a script to make a bootable AmiTcp disk. Works great, and I now have AmiTcp in my startup-sequence, and it doesn't slow down the boot process (multitasking!).
AdSense AdSense