English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 October 2010, 23:05   #41
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Modern LCD TV's (especially large ones) make the real N64 graphics look like crap.

The games looked so much better on good old CRT TV's.
Some would say that makes CRTs better for games.

mikele: just ogled an N64 the other day... they're like 50 EUR here, not much to ponder really
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 October 2010, 00:42   #42
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Personally I didn't think it was worth getting one back then. The N64 has one good game IMO.
Hmm...

- Mario64
- Banjo 1 & 2
- Conker's
- Mario Kart
- Zelda Majora and Ocarina
- Paper Mario

I love at least 8 (I hate console shooters, so Goldeneye is wasted on me), and there are some fun clones like Diddy Kong Racing. But I do agree - that IS a bit limited.
Old 04 October 2010, 00:53   #43
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
- Mario64
- Banjo 1 & 2
- Conker's
- Mario Kart
- Zelda Majora and Ocarina
- Paper Mario
Ok I'll respond to some of those. Firstly I hate 3D platformers. I don't think they work properly. I own Mario Kart 64 and think it's a pretty poor successor to Super Mario Kart. Played Paper Mario and found it extremely dull.

Ocarina of Time is my one game that I like on the N64, and to be fair, I haven't played Majora, so that might be good also
Old 04 October 2010, 02:50   #44
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm with Dastardly on this one, I managed to get an N64 dirt cheap about 8 years ago with a load of games for 40, and the only one I played to any degree was Goldeneye, which is emulated better on a decent spec PC.

Having said that, both PS1 and N64 really haven't aged well at all, for me Sega Saturn was the best allrounder, not the best at everything, but very varied and polished.
Old 05 October 2010, 00:15   #45
cv643d

Saturn is like owning a real arcade system at home if you know what to look for and hook it up to a 1084.

I had the oppurtunity a couple of years ago to play through 90% of the library on the N64 with the backup unit and there was some great games in there, you just had to look for them. My favorite one was Yoshis Story, I was 26 year old and it was a kiddie game 5 out of 5 but so much fun! 2D side scroller. Surprisingly another favorite was Worms because it worked so well with the N64 analog stick. Also Snowboard Kids, awesome games with delicious tracks.

So the N64 have surprises in there, the biggest surprise, I did not like most of the mainstream games at all, Mario64, GoldenEye etc... fell a sleep in my couch. Even Conker was boring (had to buy that one).
Old 05 October 2010, 01:34   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Goldeneye, which is emulated better on a decent spec PC.
I played it recently with the latest P64 & Plugin's and it felt really buggy. The sky wasn't emulated properly, there were a few combiner issues here and there. It might have been the age of my gfx card (an old ATI X800?) but it felt like the emulation. All Rare games were bad. The two Banjo games, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Conkers were all a bit iffy having played the originals to death.
Old 05 October 2010, 01:50   #47
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I played it recently with the latest P64 & Plugin's and it felt really buggy. The sky wasn't emulated properly, there were a few combiner issues here and there. It might have been the age of my gfx card (an old ATI X800?) but it felt like the emulation. All Rare games were bad. The two Banjo games, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Conkers were all a bit iffy having played the originals to death.
goldeneye runs perfect and smooth
but don't use Project 64 for this game
use 1964 and Rice videoplugin
Old 05 October 2010, 18:59   #48
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Modern LCD TV's (especially large ones) make the real N64 graphics look like crap.

The games looked so much better on good old CRT TV's.
The same problem can occur when hooking up a PlayStation 1 or Amiga to a modern LCD or plasma display. The problem seems to be shoddy upscaling from the low resolution analogue video signal. Perhaps some modern TVs work better with old hardware.

A modern PC with emulators such as Project64, ePSXe and WinUAE is likely to look much better on a modern display than the original machines (especially with HDMI output), even before you add (optional) higher resolution 3D rendering, 2D pixel filters, and so on. Plasma displays tend to have less motion blur than their large LCD counterparts, so a plasma might be better than an LCD for such games (with scrolling more like on old CRT TVs/monitors).

A strict purist would want the original machine(s) with a CRT screen though.

Last edited by Mequa; 05 October 2010 at 19:06.
AdSense AdSense