English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 September 2010, 22:46   #121
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Did you count the animation frames? Please share the results.
I don't know how to rip sprites, so I'm afraid that I can't at the moment. But I can definitely see the individual frames in Gods, whereas Lionheart and Shadow of the Beast II are too fluid. The fact that I can see the frames in one and not the others is objective, I don't have to put a number on them to prove my point.

Quote:
Please quote the message where people posted that (and prove that you don't use the same methods you blamed other people for).
Here:

Quote:
Just wondered if you're that determined to tell people how well Gods plays, if you had never played it on a real setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
What I was saying is emulators cant do smoothing scrolling, you have no argument.
Yeah, I just made all of that up so I could start a long, pointless argument and make everyone hate me. That makes so much sense, doesn't it?

Quote:
Maybe you learn one day that it's a futile effort to try that.
What's that supposed to mean? I should just let you guys lie about me and turn me into a brain-dead caricature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
But I can't find those "actual" quotes you used above...
I can't imagine that you looked very hard.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:51   #122
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Yeah, I just made all of that up so I could start a long, pointless argument and make everyone hate me. That makes so much sense, doesn't it?
Those aren't the same statements..

You do know what a "quote" is, don't you??
Well, maybe you don't..

And I looked harder than you did on e-bay for Amigas..
You see, I was looking for things NOT taken out of context and misquoted.

desiv
Old 21 September 2010, 22:51   #123
TCD

Quote:
I don't know how to rip sprites, so I'm afraid that I can't at the moment. But I can definitely see the individual frames in Gods, whereas Lionheart and Shadow of the Beast II are too fluid. That has to count for something.
Heh, right.

Quote:
Here.
Still don't see that someone said "It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!".

Quote:
What's that supposed to mean?
Nothing, just carry on.
Old 21 September 2010, 23:09   #124
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
You do know what a "quote" is, don't you??
You do know what a "paraphrase" is, don't you?

Quote:
Still don't see that someone said "It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!".
So, because nobody used those exact words, I pulled that out of my ass? Is that really how it works around here? I paraphrased it because I wanted to be concise.

You know what? Forget it. It's literally pointless to try to talk to you guys.

I'm sure that you're all thinking "Good riddance!" right about now. The feeling is mutual. I have never encountered ANYBODY on the Internet more difficult to converse with, or more ready to use straw men, or more happy to ridicule me for positions that I didn't hold. (Not that you care.)

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 23:15.
Old 21 September 2010, 23:10   #125
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Your beautifull I love you -What I was saying is emulators cant do smoothing scrolling, you have no argument.
Yeah... Right! I think you might want to check out what emulators actually can do before posting such "interesting" piece of "information".

As for the Gods discussion, I'm with Raggot! Gods' scrolling is jerky and it destroys the game for me. Then again, smooth scrolling && Bitmap Brothers never really computed anyway.
Old 21 September 2010, 23:15   #126
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

^^^ lol what he said =)

I even went back on some of my favourite games from them - and I noticed that even in my favvy Chaos Engine you cannot run and fire at the same time - you can run - then fire then run - but not both simultaneously... and it does suffer a bit -

but unlike GOD's its still playable.
Old 21 September 2010, 23:19   #127
TCD

Quote:
So, because nobody used those exact words, I pulled that out of my ass? Is that really how it works around here? I paraphrased it because I wanted to be concise.
You at least 'interpreted' what people said. You surely didn't 'paraphrase' what I meant.

Quote:
I'm sure that you're all thinking "Good riddance!" right about now. The feeling is mutual. I have never encountered ANYBODY on the Internet more difficult to converse with, or more ready to use straw men, or more happy to ridicule me. (Not that you care.)
We have a saying about doing a striptease in a house made of glass... er... nevermind
Old 22 September 2010, 01:06   #128
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
RE: Gods

Personally - Choppy scrolling aside - the game is quite boring for me, I find it linear and obvious... I found none of this "thinking" that people mention here - it not all that hard to complete - just monotonus to be quite frank about it.
Gods is anything but linear. It's packed full of stuff that you could easily miss by just aiming for the finish line. It's a game that rewards multiple play throughs. Head over to the Gods section at http://www.gods-country.de/ and read some of the posts about some of the stuff people are still finding.

Quote:

As far as platform games go - they dont need much - however good fast/smooth scrolling is an essential ingredient - somthing that I feel that Gods lacks - Since gods is not ment to be a fast-platformer - I tihnk its this that allows the game to get away with what it does for a lot of people.
This goes back to the earlier point of whether Gods IS a true platformer. I say no, therefore fast/smooth scrolling isn't necessary.

Quote:
With the exception of a couple of other titles I find that the games that BitMap Brothers released (published and or developed) are more "style" over "subtance"
Interesting view. I find the same thing with Team 17 games. For me BB games are style AND substance, whereas T17 look nice but are dull.

Quote:
Tell that to Lionheart. How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga? Have you even played another Amiga game?
Lionheart? Are you seriously holding THAT up as a good example? The main character looks like shit, and if anything is an example of ugliness, that's it right there! Also, the fact that Gods uses so few colours and still manages to look THAT good is surely something to be praised. I have experience with pixel art so I know what an achievement it is.

Quote:
No, but fewer colors used = not "the best"
Subjective. Chaos Engine looks better than the AGA version IMO.

Quote:
As a point to mention -

As far as I am aware GOD's sold quite well for the BitMap Bros. - they followed up most of their games with a sequel but not GOD's -

Hmmm I wonder why?
I'm sure I read that Magic Pockets uses the Gods engine, and it does have a similar feel. Maybe this is why a direct sequel to Gods never appeared. I could understand critisism of MP more than Gods because it was selling itself as a cutesy platformer (where fast scrolling/speedy gameplay IS expected), but still has the slow pace of Gods.

Quote:
I'm sure that you're all thinking "Good riddance!" right about now. The feeling is mutual. I have never encountered ANYBODY on the Internet more difficult to converse with, or more ready to use straw men, or more happy to ridicule me for positions that I didn't hold. (Not that you care.)
You should maybe think about how you've come across seeing as you're a new member. You're very 'loud' for someone with 30 posts.

Quote:

I even went back on some of my favourite games from them - and I noticed that even in my favvy Chaos Engine you cannot run and fire at the same time - you can run - then fire then run - but not both simultaneously... and it does suffer a bit.
Are you serious? I half think you must be joking! You can't surely have only just noticed that CE isn't a run n gun, right?

Last edited by Dastardly; 22 September 2010 at 01:12.
Old 22 September 2010, 01:19   #129
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Are you serious? I half think you must be joking! You can't surely have only just noticed that CE isn't a run n gun, right?
Yeah, I think that's a gameplay decision, one that I am very fond of in the correct circumstances... I hate games where your character won't stand still if I want to shoot in another direction.
Old 22 September 2010, 05:20   #130
desiv

Quote:
You do know what a "paraphrase" is, don't you?
Yes, a paraphrase is what you don't put in quotes as tho it is what the other person said because it is paraphrased.

And/or you preface it with something like "they jumped in with phrases like" or "they said things like."

Now, normally, it's not a big deal, but as you made a huge point about being misquoted, some of us couldn't help but appreciate the irony...

You should realize that it's not your ideas that people take offense to per se..
It's the apparent attitude that accompanies it...

If you relax a bit and add more smileys, you'll find that this board is one happy family...

Just like the Manson's.. er.. um.. well. yeah...

Take it easy..

desiv
Old 22 September 2010, 09:21   #131
BippyM
Global Moderator

Errrrrrrmmmmmmmm...

I don't quite get why there is so much animosity towards another members point of view!

Raggot is perfectly entitled to his POV and so are the rest of you, please stop this bickering all of you and if you want to argue about the scrolling, or the number of frames of animation then please do so properly without misquoting, making things up and all that other nonsense.

Does it really matter, 21 years after release? Does it? Honestly?
Old 22 September 2010, 09:42   #132
TCD

Not sure if you've read page two of this thread Bippy, but maybe it gives an idea where the 'tone' of the replies comes from. Of course everyone has their own opinion and should share it, but if you constantly try that hard to prove other opinions wrong it evokes that kind of responses. Hope you didn't found me guilty of 'misquoting' or 'making things up'
Old 22 September 2010, 14:24   #133
Jgames

Quote:
I have never encountered ANYBODY on the Internet more difficult to converse with, or more ready to use straw men, or more happy to ridicule me for positions that I didn't hold. (Not that you care.)
I agree with you here, Amiga owners/lovers (believers? ) tend to be the most fanatic people i ever encountered.
They have to relax a bit, Amiga is old technology, it was groundbreaking at the time, yes, but things move on.
It was a good machine, the best for a period of time, we can say that the spirit of the amiga lives now in the graphic cards we have today.
Old 22 September 2010, 14:42   #134
DH
Global Moderator

I've just read almost 3 pages regarding 'GODS' and I feel like putting my fist through my monitor

Erm, what was the title of this thread again..... Ah! 'Top ten Amiga platform games?', yes, yes, that's right, I knew it wasn't called 'Gods, a mind boggling incite into the newly discovered workings, game play, GFX, Music, coding and last of all choppiness of this exciting retro game that doesn't work terribly good but is awesome'

Hmm. I like the first title, would be good if we could get this thread back on topic again
Old 22 September 2010, 16:32   #135
BrooksterMax

I mentioned Robocod and Zool 2 earlier for the Amiga platformers, but to be honest nothing compared to my Mega Drive for a full platform game experience. The pad and system were just geared right for this genre, however the Amiga excelled in many other areas.

Sonic, and in particular Sonic 2 was unbeatable as a platformer for me. I only got a partial experience on the Amiga through Superfrog, Zool et al. Even when I used a MegaDrive controller, it just wasn't quite the same.
Old 22 September 2010, 18:36   #136
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I wonder if the term "platform game" really applies to those that have PLATFORMS and JUMPING

This would make the God's fans most happy and the Flashback fans... well not so lol.

To be fair a game will always be a subject matter - as some games just click with the player - even crappy games ... like 3D death chase on the Spectrum... or 3D maze attack on the ZX80/1...

low and behold what one takes from a game another may completely miss or not be that interested in..... i.e. I loved the original Sensi Soccer.... infact I enjoyed the first SWOS... but the rest.... well there pretty lame to be honest... completely in-human goalies, cheating AI etc etc - but the latters are really raved about...

so it comes down to what really tickles ones taste buds.... the only exception to this rule is QWAK.... and Yolander.... and yo!joe!.... and......

LOL

now... its time you all got back to appreciating and exalting in a god like manner the epic game that is Captive.... go now.... pay hommage to the game by playing it.... and count your lucky stars you are deemed worthy to play =)

thats is all =)
Old 22 September 2010, 19:01   #137
Jgames

Quote:
now... its time you all got back to appreciating and exalting in a god like manner the epic game that is Captive.... go now.... pay hommage to the game by playing it.... and count your lucky stars you are deemed worthy to play =)

thats is all =)
Hehe, captive, i knew you'll write about it.
Being a huge fan of DM, i never played captive, the reason being i don't like random levels and object placements in games, and also the No End issue.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:43   #138
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Hehe, captive, i knew you'll write about it.
Being a huge fan of DM, i never played captive, the reason being i don't like random levels and object placements in games, and also the No End issue.
Then you'll be happy to know...

- even though the bases are generated (except the very first one), they are actually the same each time you play the game. Its just a shame you should know that they are generated from a seed, if you wouldn't have known that fact you'd think the bases were created by hand. The randomizer really is THAT good, amazingly.

- there IS an end, just don't expect to reach it in your lifetime

So go play it dude!
Old 22 September 2010, 20:56   #139
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

is there actually an end/end sequence though? really? with 65,000 levels?
Old 22 September 2010, 21:31   #140
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Perhaps Bippy or Zetty can answer that, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything like an ending sequence though.

edit:

wait a sec, this is a thread about platform games :s How did we end up with Captive again!?
AdSense AdSense