English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 September 2010, 18:49   #101
Retro1234
5150

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sycophantazia
Posts: 3,776
Your beautifull I love you -What I was saying is emulators cant do smoothing scrolling, you have no argument.
Retro1234 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 September 2010, 18:55   #102
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Your beautifull I love you -What I was saying is emulators cant do smoothing scrolling, you have no argument.
I see the words, but their meaning eludes me. Help me out here.
Raggot is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 19:22   #103
humble worm
Registered User
humble worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BP/Poland
Age: 39
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga?
so more colors used = better? if gods is a masterpiece as for anything it is gfx imho.
ugly sprites... I thought thats the issue of Lionheart!
humble worm is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 19:27   #104
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
ugly sprites... I thought thats the issue of Lionheart!


Agreed.

He may have the heart of a lion, but he has the body of a badly drawn woman.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 19:48   #105
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Welcome to the interwebs Raggot btw. Good luck on your mission!
Seriously, you blame people for being irrelevant? Had a good chuckle
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 19:48   #106
switchblade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United States
Age: 30
Posts: 95
@Raggot

HERPY DERP GODS SUCKS CUZ IT HAS SHITE SCROLLING

....

Did I get that right? Does it really matter THAT MUCH to you if a game sucks because of slow scrolling graphics? I've played DOS platformers that have worse scrolling than Gods does (Commander Keen for example), but I still enjoy playing both Commander Keen and Gods.
switchblade is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 20:43   #107
desiv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Welcome to the interwebs Raggot btw. Good luck on your mission!
Seriously, you blame people for being irrelevant? Had a good chuckle
That's actually why I asked the question about using an emulator.
His posts had a "feel" as tho they are coming from someone who only uses an emulator.

Funny, I'm in the USA and I have 2 Amigas.. They really aren't that hard to come by...

desiv
desiv is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 21:24   #108
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
so more colors used = better?
No, but fewer colors used = not "the best". In fact, I've seen 16-color games that look better than Gods, like Shadow of the Beast II and Brian the Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
He may have the heart of a lion, but he has the body of a badly drawn woman.
That's not true! He has the body of a badly-drawn gimp!

Joking aside, I think that Lionheart looks better than Gods (and most other Amiga games) in just about every other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
@Raggot

HERPY DERP GODS SUCKS CUZ IT HAS SHITE SCROLLING

....

Did I get that right? Does it really matter THAT MUCH to you if a game sucks because of slow scrolling graphics? I've played DOS platformers that have worse scrolling than Gods does (Commander Keen for example), but I still enjoy playing both Commander Keen and Gods.
LEARN TO READ. Maybe you missed this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
(I'm not saying, by the way, that Gods is bad because of its scrolling. I forgive both games like you forgive Gods. It takes something like Zool for me to say that the scrolling makes it "a pain to play".)
Notice that I put Ruff 'n' Tumble, bad scrolling and all, at number 5 on my top ten list. I dislike Gods because of the awful controls, cheap hits, and annoying item interface.

I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't. If you have a problem with my posts, fine, but don't invent stuff like "Raggot says that Gods is badly-programmed, he thinks that it's a worthless game!" or "Raggot says that Gods's scrolling could be a lot better, he thinks that the scrolling makes it terrible!" "Raggot said stuff about emulators, emulators can't scroll!" Give me a break, people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Funny, I'm in the USA and I have 2 Amigas.. They really aren't that hard to come by...
Maybe for you, but I searched for them on eBay three times and found nothing but power supplies and keyboards. And an old 1000, but it was $400. No thanks.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 21:38.
Raggot is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 21:33   #109
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't.

ahh the interwebs =)
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 21:36   #110
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't. If you have a problem with my posts, fine, but don't invent stuff like "Raggot says that Gods is badly-programmed, he thinks that it's a worthless game!" or "Raggot says that Gods's scrolling could be a lot better, he thinks that the scrolling makes it terrible!" "Raggot said stuff about emulators, emulators can't scroll!" Give me a break, people. What's next?
Nah, you just tell people that they're wrong, because they don't share your point of view. Read Zetr0's post above
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 21:41   #111
desiv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Maybe for you, but I searched for them on eBay three times and found nothing but power supplies and keyboards. And an old 1000, but it was $400. No thanks.
So, when you use the word "searched".. By that you meant???

-----------

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-A500-compu...item335fc849ee

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-500-100-op...item3f03454409

http://cgi.ebay.com/Commodore-Amiga-...item4152e9bfd8

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-1200-6mb-2...item3f03163afc

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-1200-2mb-r...item230a2d139b
desiv is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 21:43   #112
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Where's my ROFL smiley when I need it?
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 21:54   #113
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
So, when you use the word "searched".. By that you meant???
I typed in "Amiga" and "500" as my query in the computer department. I already told you what I found. I had a similar experience looking for an Atari 800. I guess that I was just profoundly unlucky, it was ages ago. I'll probably be buying an Amiga sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Nah, you just tell people that they're wrong, because they don't share your point of view. Read Zetr0's post above
The idea that slow scrolling has to be choppy or that Gods has smoother animation than Leander isn't a matter of my "point of view". It's objectively wrong. And I'm sure that I, of all people, can tell people that they're wrong when they say that I called Gods's graphics "worthless" and that I hate it because of its scrolling.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 22:01.
Raggot is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:03   #114
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
As a point to mention -

As far as I am aware GOD's sold quite well for the BitMap Bros. - they followed up most of their games with a sequel but not GOD's -

Hmmm I wonder why?


I dont think it would be a technical aspect - after all Mike Montgomery pretty much wrote every thing (in-house) - so come 92' I am sure he would of had the skills to a very sucessfull sequel.
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:08   #115
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
The animation is "the best on the Amiga"?! Really? What about Leander, Flashback, Benefactor, Lionheart, the Shadow of the Beast sequels--honestly, Gods has some of the cheapest animation that I've seen. I've seen better on the NES.

Tell that to Lionheart. How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga? Have you even played another Amiga game?
Yep, can only see hard scientific facts from you there
It's about taste, so any discussion is pointless. The fact that people don't mind choppy scrolling doesn't make your 'point' (whatever it is) any more vaild.
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:16   #116
desiv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
As far as I am aware GOD's sold quite well for the BitMap Bros. - they followed up most of their games with a sequel but not GOD's -
Hmmm I wonder why?
I think I can see where you're going with this Zetr0.

You feel that Gods was so close to perfect, that even they realized they couldn't improve on it...



Seriously, that is a good question... Considering the almost guaranteed fanbase/initial purchase even if it was really bad, it makes no sense that they wouldn't have made a sequel.

I see that "Steve Tall" was also listed for design and code, and that he didn't do too much else; nothing else I can see after that... Although, even if they had all new staff, seems they would have wanted to write a sequel...

desiv
desiv is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:24   #117
Jgames
Registered User
Jgames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
I dislike Gods because of the awful controls, cheap hits
If there is game where you don't suffer cheap random hits, it's Gods.
Gods is all about strategy and thinking, and that's why the game is great.
Jgames is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:27   #118
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yep, can only see hard scientific facts from you there
Gods is technically deficient, so it can't be the best. (I'm not saying that an Amiga game needs backgrounds like Lionheart or scrolling like Kid Chaos for that to be the case, but it should at least look like it's on the Amiga.) Gods also has very noticeably coarser animation than the games that I mentioned in comparision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
The fact that people don't mind choppy scrolling doesn't make your 'point' (whatever it is) any more vaild.
Whether or not people mind the scrolling doesn't change the fact that it's choppy. But that was never my point to begin with! I only mentioned its scrolling in passing! Then a few people jumped on that with "It's only choppy because that's the only way to do slow scrolling!" and "It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!" (never mind that Retro-Nerd sees what I'm talking about on his Amiga), and I had to defend what I said. Because I was defending a claim about Gods's scrolling, that OBVIOUSLY means that it was my main point the whole time, and might as well define the game as far as I'm concerned. Who cares what I actually said or think?

tl;dr: What you're calling my "point" was never anything like a point to begin with. Again, you guys can't seem to figure out how to not put words into my mouth.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 22:36.
Raggot is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:31   #119
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Gods is technically deficient, so it can't be the best. Gods also has very noticeably coarser animation than the games that I mentioned in comparision.
Did you count the animation frames? Please share the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
"It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!"
Please quote the message where people posted that (and prove that you don't use the same methods you blamed other people for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
and I had to defend what I said.
Maybe you learn one day that it's a futile effort to try that.
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 22:36   #120
desiv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
"It's only choppy because that's the only way to do slow scrolling!"
"It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!"
Now, I know you are BIG into not misquoting and twisting peoples words...
I believe you said:
Quote:
I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't.
But I can't find those "actual" quotes you used above...

Hmmmm.....

desiv
TCD beat me to the point of clarification needed... ;-)
desiv is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top ten of game tunes Another World request.Modules 1 15 January 2008 15:52
The Top Ten Technology Nostalgia Pyromania Amiga scene 13 23 December 2007 17:10
What are your top ten games from the 8-bit era? Bombjacker Retrogaming General Discussion 34 07 August 2004 13:50
Cody's Top Ten Amiga Database Mistakes CodyJarrett HOL news 15 02 September 2003 01:43
Top Ten List of Dream computers. Pyromania Amiga scene 9 02 February 2002 21:10

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.43715 seconds with 11 queries