English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 September 2010, 09:44   #81
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Is it a PAL/NTSC thing?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Is it an emulator thing? (Is someone using an emulator for any of these comparisons?)
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Does is run smoother on a 1200 than a 500??
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
OK, just tried it.. And it is a bit choppy if I pay attention to it...
But when I'm playing, I don't notice it...
Yes

I also only notice that it's 'choppy' when I look for it. I do notice that it's slower than the usual scrolling. For me it doesn't ruin the game (while I wouldn't mind if it would scroll smooth), so judging the game by its 25 FPS scrolling is a tad superficial in my book.
TCD is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 September 2010, 10:33   #82
Retro1234
5150

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sycophantazia
Posts: 3,775
New technical term Choppy

What a load of Bollocks
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 11:43   #83
StarEye
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Norway
Age: 40
Posts: 985
Shadow of the Colossus had a bad framerate in a lot of places. Doesn't stop it from being one of the greatest games ever made. In other words, sure, Gods could probably be better with smoother scrolling - but it really doesn't matter that much for a LOT of people, and they can forgive them for it because the game itself is so good.

If you have that big of a problem with the scrolling in Gods, you're just not interested in the game itself at all. But don't come and call it a bad game, 'cause it isn't.
StarEye is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 14:55   #84
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful
Muzkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earthrealm
Age: 36
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post


I guess that the enemies and automatic difficulty adjustment are pretty nifty, but almost everything else is worthless.
This is just blasphemy. Worthless? WTF are you smoking? Gods transcends all other games in the genre with its depth, becoming the thinking man's platformer. If you can't appreciate it, then that's your fault.

I've invested what is quite possibly hundreds of hours into Gods, and I have never noticed any choppiness. Get a new monitor, because obviously yours is bollocks.
Muzkat is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:10   #85
Jgames
Registered User
Jgames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 338
@Raggot
Gods graphics, especially sprites animations and explosions are the best on the amiga.
Just in the graphic departement, Gods is the best. (the other one being Ruff n' tumble)

What do you think about gods graphics? if you think they are worthless, give examples of
worthy ones then, and lets discuss. (don't say Lion Heart, while the graphics are exellent, gods is better).
Jgames is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:11   #86
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
I also only notice that it's 'choppy' when I look for it. I do notice that it's slower than the usual scrolling. For me it doesn't ruin the game (while I wouldn't mind if it would scroll smooth), so judging the game by its 25 FPS scrolling is a tad superficial in my book.
Choppy scrolling (losing frames) and general 25 FPS Scrolling (cause a permanent motion blur/ghosting) are different things. Sadly Gods suffers from both, and it's still a good game.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:16   #87
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Like I said : I have to look for choppy scrolling, while 25 FPS are fairly obvious Yet the game still 'works' fine IMO. I was mainly just commenting on the 'might be a fixable issue' stuff.
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:19   #88
humble worm
Registered User
humble worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BP/Poland
Age: 39
Posts: 745
vote for Gods so that we will all find out if it's choppy or not ->> http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55094
humble worm is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:21   #89
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Indeed not fixable. The Bitmaps hadn't the skills do it better in 1990, as it seems. It's also worser in Ruff'n'Tumble, because it scrolls muuuch faster.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:27   #90
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
RE: Gods

Personally - Choppy scrolling aside - the game is quite boring for me, I find it linear and obvious... I found none of this "thinking" that people mention here - it not all that hard to complete - just monotonus to be quite frank about it.

I found it much more fun playing Alfred Chicken to be sincerely honest.

As far as platform games go - they dont need much - however good fast/smooth scrolling is an essential ingredient - somthing that I feel that Gods lacks - Since gods is not ment to be a fast-platformer - I tihnk its this that allows the game to get away with what it does for a lot of people.

Its a shame as the story is pretty cool and with a little more effort it could be the game that a lot claim as (forgive the pun) god-like!...

With the exception of a couple of other titles I find that the games that BitMap Brothers released (published and or developed) are more "style" over "subtance" - but I have stated this before...

However there are 3 of their titles that are very close to my heart -
  • 1.Chaos Engine (ECS or AGA both are great),
  • 2.Speed Ball 2
  • 3.Cadaver (both of them)

none of them are platform games however
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 15:32   #91
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
It depends how you play Gods I guess. If you play it like a straightforward platformer it is rather simple, but then you miss a lot that's in the game. If you take the time to explore the levels and search for the secrets, you might get over the 'boring' state.
Maybe you should add it to your 'games I never understood how to play' list Zetty? =)
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 16:24   #92
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Is it a PAL/NTSC thing?
Unless I'm somehow accidentally setting my emulator to NTSC for a PAL game, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Is it an emulator thing? (Is someone using an emulator for any of these comparisons?)
I use the same emulator settings for every game that I play. Everything else scrolls great. Well, except for stuff like Wolfchild, but that's in the same category anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Does is run smoother on a 1200 than a 500??
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
OK, just tried it.. And it is a bit choppy if I pay attention to it...

But when I'm playing, I don't notice it...
Good for you.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 16:31.
Raggot is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 16:36   #93
Fabie
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 478
the only thing I like in the game Gods is the intro music....was fantastic
Fabie is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 17:05   #94
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabie View Post
the only thing I like in the game Gods is the intro music....was fantastic
I have this as a ring tone for my mobile.... that and Captive... and No Second Prize... and Turrican 2
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 17:19   #95
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
I use the same emulator settings for every game that I play. Everything else scrolls great. Well, except for stuff like Wolfchild, but that's in the same category anyway.
Wait... you never played the game on a real Amiga?
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 17:33   #96
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
This is just blasphemy. Worthless? WTF are you smoking? Gods transcends all other games in the genre with its depth, becoming the thinking man's platformer. If you can't appreciate it, then that's your fault.
Did you even see what I was quoting? I said that it was badly-programmed. Apart from the controls, I think that the design is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I've invested what is quite possibly hundreds of hours into Gods, and I have never noticed any choppiness. Get a new monitor, because obviously yours is bollocks.
Yes, my monitor is the problem here, because everything else is smooth as glass. Give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
@Raggot
Gods graphics, especially sprites animations and explosions are the best on the amiga.
The animation is "the best on the Amiga"?! Really? What about Leander, Flashback, Benefactor, Lionheart, the Shadow of the Beast sequels--honestly, Gods has some of the cheapest animation that I've seen. I've seen better on the NES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Just in the graphic departement, Gods is the best.
Tell that to Lionheart. How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga? Have you even played another Amiga game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
(the other one being Ruff n' tumble)
Ruff 'n' Tumble definitely has nice graphics, but the scrolling is bad on that one as well. Not as bad as Gods's is, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
What do you think about gods graphics? if you think they are worthless, give examples of
worthy ones then, and lets discuss.
I didn't even mention the graphics. Learn to read. In fact, I think that they're pretty good, apart from the animation and the main character. I might as well indulge you with a list of games with "worthy" graphics, though:

Ambermoon

Another World

Apano Sin

Benefactor

Brian the Lion

Bubba 'n' Stix

The Chaos Engine

Disposable Hero

Elfmania

Fightin' Spirit

Flashback

Fly Harder

The Godfather

Kid Chaos

Leander

Lionheart

Ork

Project-X

Quik the Thunder Rabbit

Ruff 'n' Tumble

The Shadow of the Beast sequels

Speedball II

Stardust

Sword

Targhan

Universe

Virocop

Wrath of the Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
(don't say Lion Heart, while the graphics are exellent, gods is better).
Because you say so, I presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Wait... you never played the game on a real Amiga?
Living as I do in America, I can't say that I've had the opportunity. You have Commodore's brain-dead marketing department to thank for that. Is there some kind of crazy scrolling routine that's smooth on the actual hardware but somehow impossible to emulate well? I find that hard to believe, although it's the only possible explanation for this, assuming that Gods really does scroll smoothly on a real Amiga.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 17:58.
Raggot is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 17:49   #97
Retro1234
5150

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sycophantazia
Posts: 3,775
@Faggot emulators cant do smoothing scrolling?
Want to see bad scrolling get on top of one of those walking trees in B.C Kid
Want Bad gameplay try SOTB 2
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 17:56   #98
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Living as I do in America, I can't say that I've had the opportunity.
There are quite a few American members here that do own a real Amiga. Just wondered if you're that determined to tell people how well Gods plays, if you had never played it on a real setup.
TCD is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 18:19   #99
Jgames
Registered User
Jgames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Did you even see what I was quoting? I said that it was badly-programmed. Apart from the controls, I think that the design is excellent.
I once read somewhere that a program outer looks (interface, interaction, working etc...) reflects the program inner code, if a program is great, then the code must be great. (so bad code = bad program no matter what)

Now, i understand that your only problem with Gods are the controls, quite an improvement for it being worthless.
Then, give it a go again, finish the first world, try to find all secrets. you may like it. (Happened to me before, not liking a game, and then, on a second try finding it one the best).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
The animation is "the best on the Amiga"?! Really? What about Leander, Flashback, Benefactor, Lionheart, the Shadow of the Beast sequels--honestly, Gods has some of the cheapest animation that I've seen. I've seen better on the NES.
I sincerly beleive the animation and attention to details in them are better than all the ones you listed. (Never seen a better monster explosion effect more nice than the one in gods)
Marl coleman, if he is the one who did the graphics, is a genious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Tell that to Lionheart. How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga? Have you even played another Amiga game?
Played most, and finished a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Ruff 'n' Tumble definitely has nice graphics, but the scrolling is bad on that one as well. Not as bad as Gods's is, though.
The bad scroll is very noticable on this one, making it a pain to play.
Jgames is offline  
Old 21 September 2010, 18:44   #100
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
@Faggot emulators cant do smoothing scrolling?
Where did I say that? Did you see the words "scrolling", "impossible", and "emulate" and assume that I was talking about how emulators can't scroll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Want to see bad scrolling get on top of one of those walking trees in B.C Kid
Want Bad gameplay try SOTB 2
How beautifully irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
There are quite a few American members here that do own a real Amiga. Just wondered if you're that determined to tell people how well Gods plays, if you had never played it on a real setup.
WinUAE's accurate enough at this point that I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
I once read somewhere that a program outer looks (interface, interaction, working etc...) reflects the program inner code, if a program is great, then the code must be great. (so bad code = bad program no matter what)
Yo! Joe! has some pretty bad coding (lots of slowdown in some areas, sometimes glitches out and doesn't let you climb slopes), but I still think that it's a great game. Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Now, i understand that your only problem with Gods are the controls, quite an improvement for it being worthless.
The controls really are bad, I haven't seen another game that manages to be so well-designed and so annoying to play at the same time. And now you're talking about design, instead of code. Are you trying to change the subject with every post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Then, give it a go again, finish the first world, try to find all secrets. you may like it.
Don't assume that I don't like it because I gave it a cursory run through the first level and didn't bother with the rest. I'm a completist, I have to get all of the secrets. I was about halfway (maybe more) through the second world before I started playing Arabian Nights instead. Maybe I'll get back to it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
I sincerly beleive the animation and attention to details in them are better than all the ones you listed.
Besides the exploding faces when you die, could you help me find an animation in Gods with more than three frames? I don't know why you keep going on like the animation is the best part, it's the shading that makes Gods's graphics look good. Saying that Gods has great graphics because of its smooth animation is like saying that the Corvette's a great car because of its luxurious interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
(Never seen a better monster explosion effect more nice than the one in gods)
The mushroom cloud? Ruff 'n' Tumble had a much better one, I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Marl coleman, if he is the one who did the graphics, is a genious.
Mark Coleman did the graphics. They are indeed quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Played most, and finished a lot too.
Then why do you insist that Gods has better animation than all of them? I understand that aesthetic judgements are a matter of taste, but it doesn't take taste to see how many frames an animation uses. If you like the design of the graphics, fine, but don't try to tell me that they move smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
The bad scroll is very noticable on this one, making it a pain to play.
But bad scrolling in Gods is just fine? At least be consistent. (I'm not saying, by the way, that Gods is bad because of its scrolling. I forgive both games like you forgive Gods. It takes something like Zool for me to say that the scrolling makes it "a pain to play".)

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 18:53.
Raggot is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top ten of game tunes Another World request.Modules 1 15 January 2008 15:52
The Top Ten Technology Nostalgia Pyromania Amiga scene 13 23 December 2007 17:10
What are your top ten games from the 8-bit era? Bombjacker Retrogaming General Discussion 34 07 August 2004 13:50
Cody's Top Ten Amiga Database Mistakes CodyJarrett HOL news 15 02 September 2003 01:43
Top Ten List of Dream computers. Pyromania Amiga scene 9 02 February 2002 21:10

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.30845 seconds with 11 queries