English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 October 2010, 00:04   #161
kolla

I also have two A600s waiting. I just hope there's a chance for a full 030 with MMU on it, since I intend to use at least one of them for Linux/m68k.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 October 2010, 01:59   #162
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Hmm... Linux on an A600? What applications do you run??

I was indeed planning to use all the EC030-CPUs for the 600 card, but I might as well put them on the extreme-low-cost-board for the A1200 (the one that's supposed to replace memory-only cards). Haven't really made up my mind.

Did some work on the 56MHz version today: Board access and basic memory access works, but no burst yet, and no optimized access-pause yet. Still over 10 MIPS!

good night,
Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1230_56_noburst_bustest.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	26657   Click image for larger version

Name:	T1230_56_noburst_sysinfo.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	26658  
Old 07 October 2010, 03:52   #163
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Hmm... Linux on an A600? What applications do you run??
Fair question, I suppose

For me it's more of the fun of getting things working, to make sure the Gentoo/m68k packages I build work well also on real machines. The nice thing with an A600 is that it is tiny, and I have an A600 mobo around that I have not used for anything yet.
Old 07 October 2010, 11:52   #164
chiark
Needs a life

That's just damn wonderful!

One of those, an ECS Indivision, 603 and CF and you've got more power than a 3000 in an easier to lug about package!

When are you taking deposits?
Old 07 October 2010, 12:10   #165
Amigaman

Jens,

Couple of questions;

Realistically do you have any approximate timelines for release of the cards? even if its just 2010 or 2011.

What order will you release the boards? A600 first?

Do you have a reseller lined up yet, or can we order direct from yourself? I only ask because I think Chiark makes a good point in offering a deposit, would help you to understand the market potential. I know everyone here is chomping at the bit for one or more of these cards, so would be nice if we could properly show our commitment.

Also, I realise you are still working on the boards, but is there a list of specs (that you are aiming for) yet for the boards?

Also, great news on the speed tests. You beat the Blizzards top speed!

Last edited by Amigaman; 07 October 2010 at 12:12. Reason: Additional comment
Old 07 October 2010, 12:33   #166
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post
Jens,

Do you have a reseller lined up yet, or can we order direct from yourself? I only ask because I think Chiark makes a good point in offering a deposit, would help you to understand the market potential. I know everyone here is chomping at the bit for one or more of these cards, so would be nice if we could properly show our commitment.
I think it will be as ever - these devices will be sold through well known shops, like Amikit.
Old 07 October 2010, 12:38   #167
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I do not take deposits. Years ago, I've made it company policy to not take any money for what I cannot deliver right away. Back then, I was trying to separate myself from criminal entities in the market who just took deposits and then disappeared for good. Today, I think it's just good practise.

The timeline for both boards is "this year". Both boards are already in production. The design changes are only in the logic chips, but not the rest of the hardware. The A1200 accelerator will be available from my known resellers. The A600 accelerator will be a little restricted, as I will only deliver them to resellers who also do soldering work on the A600. That's because I have seen too many A600s with micro-cracks on the 68000 processor pins, and you need good soldering skills and equipment to fix that. If a reseller doesn't offer this service, he shouldn't offer the A600 accelerator.

The trouble with these micro-cracks is that the A600 appears to work properly if the accel is not installed. If you then plug something on top of the processor, the pins are bent far enough to the inside that contact to the mainboard is lost. It would then appear like the accel is dead, because the machine doesn't work when installed, but goes back to working state when the accelerator is removed. The observation is correct, but leads to wrong conclusions. Only a skilled technician will find out, so the A600 accelerator will only be available from resellers who also do this kind of service.

Jens
Old 07 October 2010, 12:50   #168
chiark
Needs a life

Sounds like good practice to me. Excellent news that stuff is in production!

The a600 micro-crack issue sounds interesting, and makes sense. I would have thought people need to be made aware of this up front and offered the service at a fixed price in the event that the accelerator does not work, however I assume that's what you're thinking of by insisting on the reseller being able to fix it

Do you have a budget estimate for the accelerators themselves? I don't think I've seen a price on the 600 one yet.
Old 07 October 2010, 13:29   #169
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

@jens :

"I will only deliver them to resellers who also do soldering work on the A600"

Hey cool ! that's means Me here in France/Belgium :-) as www.VoxelAmigaShop.fr is able to service Amigas too (since 1992, when I became an Authorized Commodore-Amiga Repair Service !) :-) And I ship Worlwide always with the best shipping price / security possible !

Last edited by voxel; 08 October 2010 at 02:08. Reason: added WW shipping :-)
Old 07 October 2010, 16:49   #170
Khyron

Quote:
IThe A600 accelerator will be a little restricted, as I will only deliver them to resellers who also do soldering work on the A600.
That doesn't sound too good for those of us outside Europe (I don't know I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound too good..), There's not that many shops who will ship outside europe without insane shipping prices, and then there's a question of stock.. if one reseller with fair shipping is the only approved, its stock will be instantly depleted..
Old 07 October 2010, 20:36   #171
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Khyron,

trust me, ultimately it'll be better for the customers if proper service can be provided. If you end up having bought an accelerator that does not work with your particular board and don't find anyone locally, you'd have wished that the vendor made sure the customer has someone to turn to for service.

by the way: The 030 really gains from burst: see attached screenshots of the 56MHz A1200 version with burst implemented and access-pauses reduced to a minimum.

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1230_56_burst_bustest.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	26659   Click image for larger version

Name:	T1230_56_burst_sysinfo.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	26660  
Old 07 October 2010, 21:05   #172
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Khyron,

trust me, ultimately it'll be better for the customers if proper service can be provided. If you end up having bought an accelerator that does not work with your particular board and don't find anyone locally, you'd have wished that the vendor made sure the customer has someone to turn to for service.

by the way: The 030 really gains from burst: see attached screenshots of the 56MHz A1200 version with burst implemented and access-pauses reduced to a minimum.

Jens
good work..that's 2 or 3 mips faster than a 030/50
and how much will cost that turboboard?
Old 07 October 2010, 21:13   #173
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Exciting news.I think you'll do very well with these as the demand is surely there from the community
Old 07 October 2010, 21:59   #174
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:

Jens
Wowzers, that's fast
Old 07 October 2010, 22:59   #175
kipper2k

Quote:
I will only deliver them to resellers who also do soldering work on the A600. That's because I have seen too many A600s with micro-cracks on the 68000 processor pins, and you need good soldering skills and equipment to fix that. If a reseller doesn't offer this service, he shouldn't offer the A600 accelerator.
Jens
Hi,

I believe i have the skills and the tools in Canada/US to to repair their boards in the event of bad tracks/cold solder joints and cracks. I would be willling to repair the boards for those people that would need help. I have successfully done a lot of SMT removal/repairs. I live in Manitoba, Canada for those people who would need a Canadian outlet
Old 07 October 2010, 23:12   #176
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Certainly i'll be interested on one of these A1200 boards... Hope i'll be able to grab one before the stock runs out.
Old 08 October 2010, 08:35   #177
Tarzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
@jens :

"I will only deliver them to resellers who also do soldering work on the A600"

Hey cool ! that's means Me here in France/Belgium :-) as www.VoxelAmigaShop.fr is able to service Amigas too (since 1992, when I became an Authorized Commodore-Amiga Repair Service !) :-) And I ship Worlwide always with the best shipping price / security possible !
Hope to see my favourite reseller in the official list!
My A600 is waiting! (an so do I!)
Old 08 October 2010, 12:01   #178
LTAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzin View Post
Hope to see my favourite reseller in the official list!
My A600 is waiting! (an so do I!)
Same for me! Viva VOXEL
Old 08 October 2010, 13:42   #179
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
It's done when it's done - and it's worth waiting for. And don't mention that el-cheapo-device emulating a C64 (which is actually totally overpriced) if everybody knows that Chameleon is on the way - with lots more features.

Jens
Ah, I was beginning to think it had been dropped or since you'd stopping visiting Amiga.org that it was dropped.

This for me is the only Amiga-like product I am interested in. Do keep us posted Jens (please!)
Old 08 October 2010, 13:57   #180
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

OOOooooonly Jens Schoenfeeeeeld
makes it poooossibleee....

AdSense AdSense