Old 11 November 2010, 14:28   #421
amigakit.com

@AmigaMan

Many thanks for your order :-)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 November 2010, 14:32   #422
Riempie
Amiga freak

Order placed (amigakit)! Great work Jens! I'll be waiting for the next Indivision (and maybe the 56mhz accelerator).
Old 11 November 2010, 14:42   #423
amigakit.com

@Riempie

Thank you for your custom :-)
Old 11 November 2010, 14:59   #424
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Why else would I announce it here?
That's what's confusing people Jens, we expect products to be announced then never appear.

This whole habit of delivering what you've announced is rather unique in the Amiga world, and it makes people uncomfortable

(Saying that, the situation has got a lot better recently )
Old 11 November 2010, 15:04   #425
Fabie
Banned

btw,

is the pic on AMIKIT website the real pic of the new ACA turboboard?
Old 11 November 2010, 15:20   #426
amigakit.com

Yes it is, supplied by Individual Computers
Old 11 November 2010, 15:49   #427
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
I've seen those devices live at the Evoke party in August of this year. Unstable as hell. Bot those few minutes while it was running, it was nice to watch videos and even patched Amiga demos on an Atari ;-)

Poor guy. If he'd do the math, he'd probably discover that he doesn't make any money on it, probably even not covering half of his time.

Definitely not when I'm involved. I need to pay wages, taxes, I'm WEEE registered, I need to make a living myself, and I have a house to pay for. Further, I'd never give so many user options that cause a huge customer support mess: No SD-Ram socket, no PCI slots. Plain card with everything assembled and guaranteed, that's the only way to create hardware that works "no questions asked" and "no support required".

True plug&play is what I want to deliver, only this will give an experience that will make people come back to us. And I want people to come back to buy more, not to claim warranty or support for something they already have :-)

Jens
Not appearing to be rude Jens, but if hardware is properly made in the first place with reliable firmware why would it fail?
Old 11 November 2010, 16:16   #428
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Not appearing to be rude Jens, but if hardware is properly made in the first place with reliable firmware why would it fail?
No worries - a question like that doesn't let you appear rude, just inexperienced. The more complex a product becomes, the higher the probabilities that there's a special config where it fails. Not everything can be covered in lab tests, especially not combinations with other, either unknown or undocumented, maybe even non-standard products.

The whole trick is to keep complexity down. Allowing a memory socket instead of a fixed amount of memory would add the problem of covering all the different organisations that memory modules come in (easily five different configs only on SD-Ram 168-pin DIMMs, multiplied by the different speed grades). With a fixed amount of memory and all accelerators tested to work with this memory, I can reach zero customer support cases due to memory incompatibility.

A PCI slot allows so many different cards and requires so many different drivers that it's safe to say, you will never finish development of such a product. There's always one more driver to write. That's why I said: no PCI from my side. I'm already worried about timing specialties with "whatever you can connect between A1200 board and accelerator", but that's a standardized interface that can be tweaked with the ACAtune tool. The board cold-starts with a safe config, and if a tuning option does not work with a specific expansion, you just switch it off (and please don't ask me to make it faster anyway - I can't!).

Remember that this was meant to be a memory expansion. Faster speed is an added bonus. With all the added features of the ACAtune tool, we've exceeded the complexity that we aimed at by far already. We welcome and consider every suggestion, but if it adds too much complexity, it will affect our target quality, which is why we *have* to say no to so many suggestions. We can't argue with reality.

Jens
Old 11 November 2010, 16:59   #429
CU_AMiGA
Banned

how does the ACA 1230/56 compare with the good old blizzard 1230-iv? in terms of best performance and overall compatiblity with old amiga software and whd games?
Old 11 November 2010, 17:08   #430
frank_b

I've ordered one. I'll get the 50mhz one and possibly the 600 one later too.
Bravo. Now can we please have an 060 card too?
Old 11 November 2010, 17:17   #431
amigakit.com

@frank_b

Many thanks :-) Much appreciated
Old 11 November 2010, 17:35   #432
Anemos
70X7

(Stock Expected: Tuesday 30 November, 2010)
@amigakit, that is for pre-order eh?
Old 11 November 2010, 17:37   #433
amigakit.com

Hello Anemos,

Yes thats correct.
Old 11 November 2010, 17:44   #434
Anemos
70X7

Thanks Matthew
Old 11 November 2010, 18:02   #435
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_AMiGA View Post
how does the ACA 1230/56 compare with the good old blizzard 1230-iv? in terms of best performance and overall compatiblity with old amiga software and whd games?
Performance: I've posted AIBB modules earlier.

Compatibility: Better than anything before, because we can arrange memory more flexible, reduce chipmem size and re-kick older kickstart versions without MMU usage.

Jens
Old 11 November 2010, 18:10   #436
amigakit.com

No problem Anemos!

Complete pricing including shipping for the ACA 1230/28 accelerator is as follows:

Accelerator including Shipping to USA/Canada/Mexico/Australia/NZ/Japan through www.amigakit.us is US $121.72

Accelerator including Shipping to Europe/Russia through www.amigakit.eu is EUR 105.79

Accelerator including Shipping to Norway/Switzerland through www.amigakit.eu is EUR 90.96

Accelerator including Shipping to UK through www.amigakit.co.uk is GBP 87.94

We do not charge any Paypal fees.

Last edited by amigakit.com; 11 November 2010 at 19:22.
Old 11 November 2010, 19:14   #437
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Quote:
Performance: I've posted AIBB modules earlier.

Compatibility: Better than anything before, because we can arrange memory more flexible, reduce chipmem size and re-kick older kickstart versions without MMU usage.

Jens

so are you saying performance is better than the b1230-iv and has the same compatiblity as the b1230-iv too? will it run the same amount as whd load games?
Old 11 November 2010, 20:47   #438
RMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Jens,

Just to confirm. Is the 56MHz version definatley going to be produced for sale?

Thanks.

Quote:
Why else would I announce it here? It will take a while until we have finished the register interface for the ACAtune tool - that's what's holding the unit back at the moment. Also, the supply of 50MHz CPUs is limited. No release date until "it's done". The hardware basis is the same as for the 28 MHz version.

Jens

Sorry, I got the impression from your post 284 that it was not a certainty.

Quote:
Nothing is set in stone about a faster A1200 version. I don't know if I'll release the faster version, what speed it'll be and what the price will be. I focus on Xmas business and that consists of the two cards I just mentioned.

Jens
I'm trying to get an old 1200 up and running for one of these and an indivision.
Old 11 November 2010, 22:34   #439
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Sorry, I got the impression from your post 284 that it was not a certainty.
That was over 100 posts ago ;-)

Seriously, at that time, the SD-Ram interface of the 56MHz version was not stable, so I could not give any firm info about the possibility of a release. Right now, we're working on the register interface of the 28MHz version, which needs to be re-done for the 56MHz version as well. It's very probable that we'll get it to work, but it's lower on the priority list - the majority of the people seem to be looking for the entry-level card (the one that was meant to replace overpriced 4MByte expansions).

Jens
Old 11 November 2010, 23:43   #440
Fabie
Banned

Jens,

I have seen the picture on AmiKIT of the new A1230
I see that there is an empty socket to connect a chip
also I see a connector to connect something

what are they are for?
AdSense AdSense