English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 December 2012, 19:45   #2761
Schoenfeld
electricky.

The ACA1220 surely won't need any fixing, but some A1200 mainboards surely do require them, no matter which accelerator you're choosing.

Jens
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 December 2012, 22:00   #2762
MrDBUG

:-) Ok, it was the Miggy I was thinking about ..

Ugh, Ill seriously consider pestering Amigakit into doing it then :-D
I see they DO list a service for this ..

I was only warned about international postage :-/ But I so much want a 128 meg A1200 :-) Wish I was more technical in the electronics department not just in the software world..
Old 08 December 2012, 14:51   #2763
Mr.EE

Hello

I also have an ACA 1232 and it runs very smooth, no issues so far. My Amiga 1200 has a 1D4 board, the capacitors E123 and E125 are missing.

My only problem is none of my network cards work together with the ACA 1232. The Amiga freezes as soon as I click ONLINE in Miami oder AMI/TCP.

Disabling the ACA solves the network problems.

Any ideas ?

Old 08 December 2012, 16:45   #2764
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDBUG View Post
:-) Ok, it was the Miggy I was thinking about ..

Ugh, Ill seriously consider pestering Amigakit into doing it then :-D
I see they DO list a service for this ..

I was only warned about international postage :-/ But I so much want a 128 meg A1200 :-) Wish I was more technical in the electronics department not just in the software world..
surely a friendy Amigan in Norway will do the fix for you? I would but I imagine the post costs to the UK will be big
Old 08 December 2012, 18:14   #2765
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.EE View Post
Hello

I also have an ACA 1232 and it runs very smooth, no issues so far. My Amiga 1200 has a 1D4 board, the capacitors E123 and E125 are missing.

My only problem is none of my network cards work together with the ACA 1232. The Amiga freezes as soon as I click ONLINE in Miami oder AMI/TCP.

Disabling the ACA solves the network problems.

Any ideas ?

What happens if you pull out and re-insert the adapter, does it recover?

FWIW I had the same issue with my ACA1230 (well no PCMCIA cards would work), I never fixed it as my A1200 had the original eyetech fixes, I soon upgraded to a Blizzy 1240 so sold the 1230.

Take a look at the fixes on this page:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html

They extend further than just removeal of this two parts.

All the best,

Steve.
Old 08 December 2012, 18:42   #2766
Mr.EE

Hello fitzsteve,

the pcmcia adapter with cf card works, only the network cards don't. Pulling out and re-inserting the network card doesn't help at all. Cardreset and CardPatch is installed.

Old 08 December 2012, 18:58   #2767
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.EE View Post
Hello fitzsteve,

the pcmcia adapter with cf card works, only the network cards don't. Pulling out and re-inserting the network card doesn't help at all. Cardreset and CardPatch is installed.
I have a 1D4 board with an ACA1232 and I am able to use a PCMCIA NIC with it, however it is not completely stable and sometimes crashes the machine when I initiate a connection. It also won't boot most of time (boots about 50% of the time). I sometimes have to do ctrl-A-A a couple of times before it starts booting. I have not tried the NIC without the ACA1232.
Old 08 December 2012, 23:26   #2768
CUF

I have a 1D4 board with the timing fix done too and cannot make my pcmcia network card work either. I used to have a 1D1 board without timing fix and all worked well with ACA1231-42.
Old 12 December 2012, 16:58   #2769
Akira

I have a question now, are the ACA620 units available at Amigakit fixed or are they still the first, buggy ones?
Are the cards totally stable now? I would love to have this accessory but I don't want to jeopardize my Amiga's stability and spend a ton of money for that in the process.
Old 12 December 2012, 17:22   #2770
Schoenfeld
electricky.

AmigaKit's stock of ACA620 is Rev.2. This is indicated with the yellow sticker on the side and "serial number 2" in the autoconfig structure. You can view the autoconfig structure with Sysinfo for example.

Rev.2 is rock solid, and it even works with the buggy Gayle revision 1, which has (mostly) been used on A300 boards.

Jens
Old 16 December 2012, 21:46   #2771
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

ACA620 reset proof ram disk released: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67042
Old 18 December 2012, 16:29   #2772
Crumb

About ACA500: I have read in the Zeus thread that it can write to chipmem at 7MB/s just like A3000 (I don't know how reliable it is), do you know if that trick could be possible with ACA500?

And more important (to me): Will phase5 accelerators like 1240/1260 work? will it include a floppy power connector to feed it with +5v so my Blizzard1240 doesn't make my A500 unstable? :-) If you lack a Blizzard1240 to test I could send you mine.
Old 18 December 2012, 16:43   #2773
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
About ACA500: I have read in the Zeus thread that it can write to chipmem at 7MB/s just like A3000 (I don't know how reliable it is), do you know if that trick could be possible with ACA500?

And more important (to me): Will phase5 accelerators like 1240/1260 work? will it include a floppy power connector to feed it with +5v so my Blizzard1240 doesn't make my A500 unstable? :-) If you lack a Blizzard1240 to test I could send you mine.
Jens already said that he wont support any A1200 Turbo boards other than his own, you will have to test with a Blizzy if and when you get an ACA500
Old 18 December 2012, 20:10   #2774
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
You have misunderstood the news that were spread there. You cannot break the 3.5MBytes/s limit on an OCS/ECS machine unless you do severe changes to the Agnus<->chipmem architecture. The 7MB/s figure is merely their Fastmem performance, which is measured with AIBB, so I take it that the actual number is a lot higher (see my post in that thread; such numbers should be measured with Bustest).

Quote:
I won't guarantee any other accelerator to work. You're free to try, and I'm happy to try for you if you pay for both ways of shipment, but don't count on me to make any patches to make other accelerators work. I've written that a number of times, and asking this question over and over again won't change my attitude towards this: If it works, then it's good for you. If someone else reports that it works but it doesn't work for you, don't blame me. I will only guarantee this to work with my ACA line of accelerators.

I know for sure that Apollo 1240/1260 won't work - they have a fault in 16-bit addressing and will crash as soon as you launch setpatch. Some accelerators might use the $f0 ROM space, and that won't work either, because I also have a ROM located at $f0. Some accelerators might expect that Chipmem and ROM are 32-bit wide, but an A500 does not provide that. Some accelerators might map their memory into the lower 24-bit address space, which might confuse my internal fast-IO mapping. There are too many variables - if I shall handle them all, the price of the ACA500 will not be as low as I announced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if it works, because then I'd have one more happy customer. However, it will be impossible to give customer support for any other config than the one I guaranteed. And trust me, it'll be a *very* usable configuration.

Jens
Old 19 December 2012, 00:47   #2775
NovaCoder

I love the idea of expanding old hardware as much as the next guy around here, but for some reason the thought of a 1260 stuffed into a 500 seems a bit wrong to me. I guess it's because such cards are rare and would be put to much better use in an AGA 1200.
Old 19 December 2012, 17:02   #2776
Crumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld
I won't guarantee any other accelerator to work. You're free to try, and I'm happy to try for you if you pay for both ways of shipment, but don't count on me to make any patches to make other accelerators work. I've written that a number of times, and asking this question over and over again won't change my attitude towards this: If it works, then it's good for you. If someone else reports that it works but it doesn't work for you, don't blame me. I will only guarantee this to work with my ACA line of accelerators.

If you just plan to plug in the Blizzard and reply me "it works"/"it doesn't" I can do that by myself since I plan to buy an ACA500 even if it just works with your accelerators.

if sending you the Blizzard could help you to find out if it works and if there's something easily fixable in case it doesn't work then I'll send it. No guarantee of making it work together with ACA500, of course. And even if it worked I don't need it being "official" since I understand you can't guarantee that the various old blizzards with their multiple revisions still work correctly with newer gear like your ACA500.

I wasn't trying to "pressure" you asking, it was a genuine question, I knew you told Apollo cards won't work for sure but perhaps you or some of your testers tried out a different accelerator. It won't matter to me since I already have the spare accelerator.

Quote:
There are too many variables - if I shall handle them all, the price of the ACA500 will not be as low as I announced.
I understand it, don't worry.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if it works, because then I'd have one more happy customer. However, it will be impossible to give customer support for any other config than the one I guaranteed. And trust me, it'll be a *very* usable configuration.
That's reasonable. I was merely curious, I'll cross my fingers.

@Novacoder:
An A500 with IndivisionECS and ACA500 with a fast accelerator will be very nice and useable.

Using a rare configuration as 060+AGA to use game ports could be seen as a waste too but I appreciate your efforts because I love all classic miggies. I could add that 060 without RTG is a waste too and that a 030 is enough for playing with AGA software but I love AGA/060 demos so I would be a liar :-P
Old 01 January 2013, 13:01   #2777
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Hi all! I have just installed an ACA620 card into my A600, by default it gives me 5mb of fast ram. How do i go about unlocking the rest of the memory on it, i have installed acatune 1.7 on my A600, but have no idea what i am supposed to do with it or what commands i need to enter.

Thanks, Han.

Last edited by hansel75; 01 January 2013 at 14:20.
Old 01 January 2013, 19:19   #2778
lukassid

Can't you not read acatune readme file?
Old 01 January 2013, 19:57   #2779
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Hi all! I have just installed an ACA620 card into my A600, by default it gives me 5mb of fast ram. How do i go about unlocking the rest of the memory on it, i have installed acatune 1.7 on my A600, but have no idea what i am supposed to do with it or what commands i need to enter.

Thanks, Han.
If you just want to add the extra ram, execute ACATune in your start sequence.
Old 01 January 2013, 21:19   #2780
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Acatune -maxmem
in the startup-sequence for the ACA620 to add the extra ram.
AdSense AdSense