electricky.

This one will do the trick:

https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa...0-40&toc=20387

Jens
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 August 2011, 16:36   #2182
Riempie
Amiga freak

I bought a NOS A1200 from AmigaKit 1,5 year ago. Rev 2b motherboard. Finally after 1 year (moved to a new house) I had the chance to play with my amiga and finally use my ACA card in the NOS A1200. Caps E123C and E125C were already removed. Still gfx-corruptions with my ACA1230 56mhz. Removing/adding all the other caps/etc/whatever is too difficult for me and I'm not sending everything to AmigaKit. I don't want to take the risk of loosing everything.

With a non-working 300 watt PSU from AmigaKit I don't have much luck in making a brand new setup (will try to send back the PSU though).

I'm thinking of making a new setup out of all 4 A1200's I have and putting a working motherboard revision in the case of the 'new' NOS A1200.

I still love AmigaKit and Jens for delivering/making cool hardware!
Old 30 August 2011, 21:28   #2183
NovaCoder

Here you go, this might be your issue, happy reading -> GFX corruption

Last edited by NovaCoder; 30 August 2011 at 22:23.
Old 30 August 2011, 23:27   #2184
Riempie
Amiga freak

Strange.... I thought I've tried this before, but it seems to be stable this evening with the metal rf shield taken out. I also have the case of the A1200 open so I will try to close it and leave the metal shield out to see what it does.

This could mean 2 things I guess? Maybe the metal shield touched the card or the amiga is getting too hot. I have some heatsinks which I can try so maybe this will fix my problems?

Fingers crossed...
Old 31 August 2011, 10:30   #2185
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Isn't the RF shield somewhat unnecessary in a desktop A1200? I'm thinking of removing it completely, it seems to take space inside anyway.
Old 31 August 2011, 14:00   #2186
NovaCoder

I threw mine in the bin
Old 31 August 2011, 14:40   #2187
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Haven't had RF shields in my machines since 1991.. :-)
Old 31 August 2011, 17:03   #2188
Mr B

The RF shield has to be removed, or modified for a lot of the "modern expansions" to fit. It does fill a function, both helping with cooling, and by shielding surrounding hardware from electromagnetic interference from the Amiga. That said, I've never heard anyone suffer bad consequences from removing the RF shielding of a Amiga, and with severe heat issues it seams the limited airflow under the RF shield is a bigger issue then the benefit of the RF shield acting as a heat-spreader.

All in all, remove it if you have to, if you don't have to, leave it alone, why mess with something that works.
B!
Old 31 August 2011, 17:37   #2189
Riempie
Amiga freak

In 1995 I used a very big / heavy 3,5 inch HD. I was glad the HD could 'sit' on the rf-shield. Nowadays, with a cf-hd this isn't a problem.
Old 06 September 2011, 22:45   #2190
Photon

This is a question for Jens Schönfeld:

A few years back, regulations took effect that reduce or in some cases ban lead use for PCBs. For which products that you have made is this the case?

The reason I ask is because of the phenomenon of micro-fissures in solder joints with low lead content.

If you are wary of answering this, I should tell you this is just a heads-up question for the future, right now I enjoy my ACA630 which works fine and probably will for years

It's just an information gathering question intended for many years from now, and not really a concern at all at this point. I'd love it if you could share some thoughts on the subject.
Old 07 September 2011, 10:57   #2191
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I shifted to lead-free production in late 2004, with the last leaded production run taking place in early 2006.

I started researching realiability of lead-free soldering with the very first version of the Catweasel MK4 (the red one, first prototype in october 2004). After fiddling with temperature curves and stencil thickness for quite a while, I figured out parameters that have even higher reliability than the leaded solder process I used before (I was using too thick stencils before).

The biggest difference is in humidity requirements of the chips: With the higher peak soldering temperature, you really should have under 5% humidity in all chips, so either they are unpacked on-site and assembled&soldered within 6-12 hours, or you bake them until "right before assembly". Humidity in the chips while soldering results in microcracks in the plastic packages, which leads to long-term failure after 6-12 months. The "bake before assembly" step is one of the biggest changes that I have introduced just before the mass-production of Catweasel MK4. The Catweasel MK4 was the first with under 8 per-mille return rate.

I do have my own recepie of mixing new solderpaste with solderpaste that has been opened a few days before (not longer than two weeks) in order to reach better consistency, but that's something I'd only want to share with someone who is paying a good consultant fee. I gathered this knowledge in years of trial-and-error, made hundreds of macro photos of solder whiskers during the optical check phase after soldering and adapted the whole production process with the gathered knowledge. Please understand that I don't let go of this knowledge for free.

Jens
Old 07 September 2011, 21:06   #2192
Photon

Thanks for this information. No, I'm not after your secret formulas It sounds reassuring that you have made efforts to make eco-friendly cards long-term reliable. One reason I asked was from graphics card baking from hardware forums to fix not-so-old-really unreliable cards.

Normally though, I understand that modern graphics card have higher PCB mask density and operating temperature extremes (among other things) to expose them more to lead-free weaknesses. While probably new and old Amiga cards require less layers and miniaturization. In your opinion, is this comparison true or could you make some other comparison (in numbers or such) that would point to your products being more long-term reliable, as it indeed seems they are?
Old 07 September 2011, 21:30   #2193
Schoenfeld
electricky.

The gfx cards you're talking about all use BGA chips. If you have BGA on the board, you need to choose the right base material of the PCB, otherwise a temperature cycle may put high loads on the solderspot(s). This is due to the different mechanical expansion of the chip and the PCB: At some point, the difference is big enough to make the solderspot crack.

non-BGA chips hardly have that problem, because the pins are long enough to flex with the heat expansion of the board. Forces are low enough to keep all solderspots in place.

Jens
Old 15 September 2011, 20:00   #2194
norecess

Hi !

I wrote few weeks ago:
>>I went through no problems, excepted one : with the ACA630 installed, many WHDLoad demos have no audio.
>>Sometimes, sounds pops but still, no audio for most of them. With most of games this is OK.

If I remove the A603 from my A600 (so there is only the ACA630 in the A600), sounds will get back in games/demos!
If I reinsert the A603, sound will disappear in games/demos!

I'm sure it has to deal with Chip Ram, I followed your advises, cf. deactivating chip cache etc. but it did not change anything.

Any idea?

PS. I'm using V1.0 of ACATune software as found previously in this thread.

Last edited by norecess; 15 September 2011 at 22:02.

Old 15 September 2011, 22:16   #2195
Schoenfeld
electricky.

This is a news forum, not a support forum. Please contact your reseller with this information (along with your board revision, info about power supply, other accessories), he will take care of support.

Jens
Old 15 September 2011, 22:19   #2196
norecess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
This is a news forum, not a support forum.
Oh, sorry, I thought it was the right place, especially since I already posted on the same subject in this thread in the past.
I will contact back the support team, thank you.

Old 06 October 2011, 17:57   #2197
zgermans

Discussions over on a1k seem to indicate that Jens is currently working on a Mk. II version of the ACA1230s - the ACA1231. From my own (poor) attempts at translating, and with help from Google, I understand he is making adjustments that should cure the timing issues people have been having, albeit at the cost of some performance.

There's even a picture of a prototype on lifesupport!

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23088&page=89

Perhaps Jens could confirm or correct this.

Last edited by zgermans; 06 October 2011 at 18:00. Reason: typo
Old 06 October 2011, 23:03   #2198
Mr B

Well, it's a pretty safe bet that "something" is in the works, seams to be a 42MHz item, with MMU. Well, if Vesalia is anything to go by.
B!
Old 09 October 2011, 22:55   #2199
AmigaDave
Since 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Well, it's a pretty safe bet that "something" is in the works, seams to be a 42MHz item, with MMU. Well, if Vesalia is anything to go by.
B!
I hope Jens has some new hardware to show at the AmiWest 2011 Show in two weeks.
Old 22 October 2011, 21:39   #2200
Mr B

Well, that time is now. They are there, and as sponsors, it would be an amazement had they not... But so far no news are leaking out. On the other hand, "over there" the day isn't marching hand in hand with my watch. Hopefully we'll get some updates when the weekend is over.
B!
AdSense AdSense