English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 September 2010, 19:56   #1
chrispy

Just had a root around

In my storage container and found 3 Amiga 1200's and 2 CD32's lol. I'll have some fun this weekend with these.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 September 2010, 23:08   #2
chrispy

How can I tell which Kickstart Rom they have guys? I can't power them up yet to see as I don't have a lead to hook it up to a monitor so was wondering if it'll say so on the chips inside maybe?
Old 08 September 2010, 23:18   #3
Wasagi

I wish I had a storage container with all these treasures. I don't understand how people can forget about such cracking hardware!
Old 08 September 2010, 23:26   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
How can I tell which Kickstart Rom they have guys? I can't power them up yet to see as I don't have a lead to hook it up to a monitor so was wondering if it'll say so on the chips inside maybe?
Yep the revison no's should be on the chips if they are genuine Kickstarts.
Old 08 September 2010, 23:30   #5
Leffmann

Nice find. You can hook them up to a TV using an antenna cable as well.

Most likely they will not be upgraded, at least I'm guessing that anyone who threw them away like that was not a dedicated user and probably didn't care with upgrades, so they should all have the 3.0 ROM unless the A1200's say Escom, then they'll have the 3.1.
Old 08 September 2010, 23:35   #6
chrispy

The only upgrade I can see as such is a hard drive has been installed in one. Which chips should I be looking at for the revision number and if it's Kickstart 3.0 should I upgrade to 3.1? Also, what other mods / upgrades should I be looking at doing, any suggestions would be welcomed? I can't wait to show my son what playable games were like instead of these fancy graphics laden offerings that make the charts today.

Thanks also for the help, it's very much appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting back into the Amiga scene.
Old 08 September 2010, 23:50   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Which chips should I be looking at for the revision number and if it's Kickstart 3.0 should I upgrade to 3.1?
The two horizontal rectangular chips in the middle of the motherboard are the Roms, they will probably say 39.106 (this is 3.0) or 40.68 (this is 3.1)

There's no need to upgrade them unless you want to run OS3.5 or 3.9 only these latter OS's need 3.1 Roms.

Quote:
Also, what other mods / upgrades should I be looking at doing, any suggestions would be welcomed? I can't wait to show my son what playable games were like instead of these fancy graphics laden offerings that make the charts today.
A simple upgrade is a CF-IDE adapter and CF card as hard drive, silent and low power. If you want to run games off the hard drive (WHDLoad) then you could do with a 4 or 8mb trapdoor Ram upgrade.

CPU Upgrades (Accelerator cards) that also fit in the trapdoor will let you use the latter OS's and enjoy the more advanced games like Doom. But these will start to get costly.

Enjoy your Amiga adventure.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 09 September 2010 at 00:45.
Old 09 September 2010, 00:31   #8
chrispy

Many many thanks for the advice my friend, it's greatly appreciated. I was looking at one these two items I come across on Ebay to replace the hard-drive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Which of those would be best? It would be handy to play games and stuff straight from one of these although I have 100 odd boxed games in my storage container. It's like an Aladins cave in there lol.
Old 09 September 2010, 00:52   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi Crispiy,

These ebay sellers are making a huge markup on kit that cost between 10 (for the 39.99) and 16-17 (for the 59.99) sets.

The installed software and games are all available for download from the internet.

In addition to these kits to use 95% of the games you'll need a Ram upgrade, this will cost you between 30-60 depending on supply/demand.

An A1200 with a 4gb CF Card installed on a CF-IDE adapter with 4mb/8mb Ram Upgrade would be ideal for enjoying all those classics staight off the CF card.

The old Floppies may or may not work, depending on how dry the sorage conditions have been over the years.

Steve.
Old 09 September 2010, 01:18   #10
chrispy

Thanks for the info my friend. Where can I buy the kits from and what should I be looking for? I'd like the PCMCIA kit. Appologies for all the questions but if I don't ask I won't know.

After booting up the three 1200's they all boot to the floppy screen but the one with the hard drive doesn't go to the hard drive just to the floppy screen so I guess the hard drive is dead. They all say 3.0 Rom 39.106 so i'm assuming it's Kickstart 3.0 so i'll probably get the upgrade to run the later os's.

Once again, many thanks for the help.
Old 09 September 2010, 01:21   #11
ant512

AmigaKit sell them. They're a great shop and at least one of their guys hangs around on here.

http://amigakit.com/

Reminds me, I was going to send my Blizzard 1260 to them to see if they could fix it...
Old 09 September 2010, 01:30   #12
chrispy

Job done, many many thanks to you all for your valued help. This takes me back to late 80's and the help available from the Amiga scene then. Top notch
Old 09 September 2010, 01:48   #13
chrispy

The 1200 with the hard drive has a read error on it so i'll bin that anyway as I plan on getting one of the cf card kits from Amigakit.
Old 11 September 2010, 13:02   #14
chrispy

Gutted, my hard drive and transfer kit arrived today but the documentation says I need three Amiga floppies to do the installation. I haven't had any floppies for donkeys years.
Old 11 September 2010, 14:14   #15
stefcep2

Quote:
Gutted, my hard drive and transfer kit arrived today but the documentation says I need three Amiga floppies to do the installation. I haven't had any floppies for donkeys years.
Maybe install winuae and from within winuae install workbench on the compact flash card. There are Workbench adf's "out there". You would have got Workbench disks with the A1200 so, as you will install the compact flash in original hardware eventually, I can't see any piracy issue, (although I suspect someone will tell me I'm wrong in 3,2,1..)
Old 11 September 2010, 15:27   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Does the kit come with EasyADF?

This is a boot disk also, so grab the ADF's you need (Google for them )

Write the ADF's back to floppy using the EasyADF boot disk (just need to copy the ADF's to the CF card that is for the PCMCIA card reader (again assuming your bought the EasyADF/PCMCIA transfer kit)

And then you can make you Disks.

If you need any blamk disks PM me I've got loads and can send you hald a Dozen for the price of P&P

Steve.

Edit: If you only bought the CF-IDE HDD just activate it in UAE under emulation with ADF's of workbench disks, in fact this is the easiest way!
Old 11 September 2010, 16:05   #17
chrispy

Many thanks guys. Yes I have got easy adf, I got the complete kit for it minus the floppies.
Old 11 September 2010, 16:15   #18
chrispy

Which wokbench should I be looking for lads?
Old 11 September 2010, 16:32   #19
Jarhead

Just dug out my old 1200 and started playing cannon fodder!!!!
exellent game absolute classic which games do you have

Old 11 September 2010, 16:41   #20
Jarhead

anybody there

AdSense AdSense