English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 August 2010, 00:56   #1
Dreedo

Creating games for Amiga on the PC

Well heres my situation, i like making games a lot, i've made basic games on the PC for a few years, usually using programs that help me, rather than straight C programming.

I was wondering if it was possible to make an Amiga game on the PC and then put it on the Amiga at a later date. My problem being at the moment that i can't afford the hardware/software to copy files from my PC to my Amiga ect.

So i was wondering what is it that i can do in the meantime, possibly using WinUAE instead of my Amiga for the time being, if i can figure out how to get it working, somehow i could get it working on my PS3 running Linux very easily, but having a heck of a job making it like my Windows PC.

Thanks.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 August 2010, 01:43   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dreedo,

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

It's perfectly possible to program for the Amiga on a PC running WinUAE. You can download all the software that you would need for this from the internet and install it in the emulator. Programs that you generate can then be transferred to your Amiga by one of various methods later on.

But where does the PS3 running Linux fit into the scheme?
Old 22 August 2010, 01:47   #3
Dreedo

I was just mentioning that for some reason, i managed to get UAE working perfectly on my PS3, but it doesnt seem to work on my PC, im not entirely sure why.

And thanks for the info.
Old 22 August 2010, 01:52   #4
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
I was just mentioning that for some reason, i managed to get UAE working perfectly on my PS3, but it doesnt seem to work on my PC, im not entirely sure why.
What error/problem shows up when you try to run WinUAE?
Old 22 August 2010, 01:57   #5
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Using WinUAE to emulate an Amiga and selecting a language to program: a basic compiler (like AmiBlitz3 or AmosPro) or using a C compiler (like Storm C v3) or an Assembler compiler (Like DevPac3) you can program a game and later export it to play in a real Amiga but before you need to know how to program the Amiga hardware really well (books you can get on-line like AHRM can help you with that).
Also you can get a cross compiler (C or Assembler) to program in your PC and then try the game in WinUAE
Old 22 August 2010, 14:19   #6
Photon

Maybe you'll have more luck with WinUAE than UAE (if that's what you tried). That way you can just set aside a directory on the PC and use it as a harddisk in WinUAE, install Workbench and all the dev programs you need and start coding right away. Then after a while you could buy a CF card or so and just plonk it all over to Amiga and continue on the real thing

WinUAE's cycle exact mode is pretty close to the real thing, so it's relatively easy to see if your game will be responsive before trying it on a real Amiga, or if you must sacrifice some aspects or optimize to make it run smoothly.
AdSense AdSense