English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 August 2010, 10:04   #121
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Franko, nice job. Any chance that you could post a scale plan of your towers back panel?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 August 2010, 16:46   #122
Franko
Happily Retired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Franko, nice job. Any chance that you could post a scale plan of your towers back panel?
Do you mean the actual dimensions & locations of all the cut outs, or just what each of the sockets on the back do...
Old 10 August 2010, 17:07   #123
cv643d

An internal 16-bit soundcard that can play MP3 in hardware would be a nice addition, dont know how good MAS player is?

But I like internal card more. I would also like a clockport card for a real SID-chip.
Old 10 August 2010, 20:38   #124
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
Do you mean the actual dimensions & locations of all the cut outs, or just what each of the sockets on the back do...
A tracing of your back panel so that others can reproduce it. This is the hardest job of any DIY tower, and you look to have done it well.
Old 10 August 2010, 21:12   #125
thgill

I would also like to see some more interesting projects using the clockport.

Internal ethernet and/or wireless card (ohhhh...wifi card hooked to clockport).

New audio card or like others said a "dual Paula" upgrade.
Old 10 August 2010, 21:58   #126
twiggy

The soundcard idea seems quite cool, I never really thought about it before. I'd still vote for a RAM upgrade though (and maybe CPU too).
Old 10 August 2010, 23:05   #127
kipper2k

Quote:

you should build the cases in kitform, and sellem, wouldn't be too bulky to go through the mail and people would buy them . Would be some nice retirement income
Old 11 August 2010, 00:01   #128
ppill
CON: artist

Send a message via Skype™ to ppill
Some great ideas So just to reinforce those already posted:

A new desktop case that could house the old motherboard. New, more ergonomic keyboard. Different colours (black!), designs etc.

Memory board that could fit old 4 or 8 meg SIMMs (everyone has a couple lying around). PCMCIA aware.

Flashrom kickstart replacement (just like the one Toni described). There's already software to put together custom ROMs.

Wireless network card (clockport) and updated drivers that could handle WPA2 encryption.

PS2 joypad adapter.
Old 11 August 2010, 00:24   #129
Franko
Happily Retired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
you should build the cases in kitform, and sellem, wouldn't be too bulky to go through the mail and people would buy them . Would be some nice retirement income
Im afraid this was a one off build, designed to suit my needs and equipment.

For example I've never had the need to use the PCMIA slot so this design doesn't allow for that. and the main case is glued together (I never use nails or screws when making something from wood, just joints and woodglue) the only screws on it are for holding the mother board and various IO port in place and for easy removal of the front and back panels.

As for the nice retirement income, I have enough trouble trying to spend the dosh I've already got, certainly dont need any more cash to worry about...

Cheers...

Franko
Old 11 August 2010, 06:40   #130
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
A new desktop case that could house the old motherboard. New, more ergonomic keyboard. Different colours (black!), designs etc.
While I have never been a fan of converting an all-in-one Amiga into a Towered monster, I could warm up to the idea of a slimline desktop case conversion kit.

Perhaps similiar to an A1000 or old school pizza box Mac. Would have enough room in it to still fit and cool a powerful accelerator and fit some other goodies that the original A1200 case require heavy modding to facilitate.

Room for of course floppy drive and perhaps a slimline cd/dvd drive? Still keep the PCMCIA slot accessible on the left hand side. Include a PS2 keyboard adapter with the kit. Provide a knockout on the back so users with AGA Indivision 1200's can cleanly place their VGA connectors. Perhaps do the same for scsi connectors for expansions that have them. Lots of possibilities.

No sure the best course for the PSU. Maybe leave some room in the case in case the user wants to home brew their own PSU solution, otherwise they can keep using their standard external brick power supply.

If designed for the masses, I think something like this could sell like hotcakes. Keep the styling in the Amiga/classic 80's/early 90's format and price it to sell. I doubt Amigakit could keep them in stock!

Damn...I might just go and find a dead pizza box Mac and see what I can do with modding the case.
Old 11 August 2010, 07:21   #131
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
It seems quite a few folk want a new Amiga case why not build your own out of wood like I did (well MDF to be exact) cost less than a tenner and a couple of days work.

A1200 Blizzard060/PPC603 60Mhz/240Mhz / 256Mb RAM / 2 x 500GB HDs / 2 x DVD Burners / FASTATA MKIII / Cocolino Wireless Mouse / Custom built Amplifier

good work and a
a nice case...but
why the case have 2 cdroms bays instead 2 floppy bays?
I don't understand
Old 11 August 2010, 15:21   #132
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I'd settle for an 060 accelerator and a flickerfixer / scandoubler, so that I could use a modern monitor with my A1200s. If these could be combined in one unit I'd be a happy bunny.
Old 11 August 2010, 18:32   #133
Franko
Happily Retired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabie View Post
good work and a
a nice case...but
why the case have 2 cdroms bays instead 2 floppy bays?
I don't understand
Cheers Fabie,

I can't even remember the last time I used the floppy drive, all my software including games are stored and run from the 2 500GB HDs or from CDs or DVDs. Until I finally got on the internet a few weeks ago, I thought that nowadays everyone would be using CDs and DVDs on their Amigas, was totally amazed to find out folk were still actually using floppies.
Old 11 August 2010, 20:40   #134
spock-79

How about a RAM expansion, like the ZorRAM, with 68060 option? Only the socket onboard and if the buyer wants a 060 he could use existing one, or he could buy a new one. To hold the price as low as possible, and the customer base as large as possible..

I would surely buy such a Card !
Old 12 August 2010, 17:34   #135
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Send a message via Skype™ to mfilos
Gief Kickflash 1200 (a rewritable kickstart flashrom for A1200) as Gulliver said or something like: http://www.terminal-entry.de/romflash.html

It would seriously rock to be able to put 3.9 Updates + Morelibspace of AfA OS not to mention modules that u use without being to rely on Blizzkick or custom Kickstart EPROMS that need lotsa work to be able to work as intended.

Imo accelerators are not so much needed to be produced since you can find very easily on eBay or even new @ GVP. Just make a need 1230 in either EAB or Amibay and you'll have lotsa replies.

Auto switching between RTG and AGA would be really cool also, although AmigaKit must have a lot of BMONs to sell (I have one and it rocks).
Old 12 August 2010, 19:01   #136
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

I'm trying to vision the Amigakit meeting with all these ideas...

Matthew : FFS, these Amiga users want too many things, they all think it's 1995!
FOL : Paul_s ideas are the best I think we should go with those
Matthew : fack off, I know he's a customer but we've had to PO Box our address so he can't find us
FOL : that is true! Maybe we could send him a free mug?
Matthew : yes, or maybe not! I had a word with Jens this morning and he told me that to develop a 060 based board would cost 50 million dollars
FOL : Boo
Matthew : I was reading Page 3 of the Sun today and the photography is a work of art
FOL : Is the meeting ajourned?
Matthew : For now, yes.

Last edited by Paul_s; 12 August 2010 at 19:06.
Old 12 August 2010, 19:51   #137
KevG
Banned

My pennies worth....

1. An A1200 4MB Ram Expansion simply because a lot of people just want to get the WHDLoad games to work properly and you need the ram. This could be done cheaply if surface mount technology is used instead of a simm socket. A really old 4MB card sold on ebay yesterday for 56.00! So I think that people would be prepared to pay 50 for a new one (Amigakit)

2. A 4MB PCMCIA SRAM card. I know that static ram is expensive and I know that they are not zero-wait-state but Amiga 600 users could use them as well, again, to get WHDLoad games working.

Erm, thats it. bye!
Old 12 August 2010, 22:14   #138
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I'm trying to vision the Amigakit meeting with all these ideas...

Matthew : FFS, these Amiga users want too many things, they all think it's 1995!
FOL : Paul_s ideas are the best I think we should go with those
Matthew : fack off, I know he's a customer but we've had to PO Box our address so he can't find us
FOL : that is true! Maybe we could send him a free mug?
Matthew : yes, or maybe not! I had a word with Jens this morning and he told me that to develop a 060 based board would cost 50 million dollars
FOL : Boo
Matthew : I was reading Page 3 of the Sun today and the photography is a work of art
FOL : Is the meeting ajourned?
Matthew : For now, yes.

Im laughing so hard Im crying.
You got spy cams in Amigakit, lol.
Old 13 August 2010, 00:00   #139
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
A really old 4MB card sold on ebay yesterday for 56.00!
Yeah, but three others sold for around 27!

8Mbyte sold for 21
8Mbyte sold for 26
8Mbyte sold for 36
Old 13 August 2010, 00:52   #140
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have to agree with Alexh here,

I honestly dont see how an 8MB card could be produced and marketed and stand a chance competing with second user price tags as cheap as the 4/8MB cards - unless extra features were put on...

Lets take as 8MB PCMCIA reconfiguring card with one or more of the following
  • An onboard 16bit sound card
    (the A1200 port also carries the audio chanel date so chanlle mixing is possible)
  • A 10mbit network card -
    (theres lots of 5volt tollerant 1 chip solutions that can add this feature *amongst others cheaply)
  • DMA Disk Acccess
    (Lots of 5 volt tollerant chips that can implement an UDMA 66 Channel)
  • 3D Accelerated Graphics Adapter
    (Many 5 volt tollerant 3D chipsets are avaialbe for use)

To be fair though, when you get to that level it would be wiser and cheaper to make an accelerator card (as this WILL sell) with market avaialbe - if they add say a local "AKBus32" for additions like a 3D gfx card / sound card or network card - that would be rocking =D
AdSense AdSense