English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 August 2010, 06:55   #21
ami_junkie

Mmmm .... ram expansion card would be top of my list, seems to be getting hard and harder to find any. An accelerator card at a reasonable price would be nice but I think asking too much.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 August 2010, 07:49   #22
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
would have to a memory expansion for the A1200 Trapdoor slot.... i am not sure what the limits are... but say 4mb to run WHDLoad... would be great

and slightly off-topic

are you getting any more Amiga Magic Packs, a friend saw my A1200 and is interested in getting one from you
Old 04 August 2010, 08:16   #23
Hewitson

Who cares about a shitty 8MB ram expansion, half of which will need to be disabled to use PCMCIA. What a waste of time.

As usual, alexh has hit the nail right on the head with the 68060 board with SDRAM controller. Obviously it should have an expansion port for future upgrades such as RTG or SCSI. Might as well support 68040 as well.

Zetr0's idea of the clockport network card is interesting, is reaching PCMCIA speeds at all feasible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
b) Amnesty of all RF modulators on every Amiga model for a big bonfire on the 5th November (can include those pesky barrel batteries which should add some more excitement to the flames)

f) Selling me your stash of 'Individual Computer - Access's' (money, woman, cheque book, cute dog waiting) (actually dunno if I could part with the dog)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
g) A 2MB SRAM card (gotta fill those holes up!)
Sounds like something my ex would say..
Old 04 August 2010, 08:27   #24
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
an accelerator board with somekind of FPGA running softcore 68k. Funding of individuals (no pun intended) like tobias gunther or yakub to develop a stable and fast 68k softcore.
Old 04 August 2010, 08:39   #25
papa_november

More goddamn trapdoor RAM cards, 1200s are near-useless without them and the prices are going through the Oort cloud.

I mean, a new SDRAM-based 060 card would be nice, but there's a million things standing in the way of that.

Also, what's the status on the new run of 1200 Indivisions? Secondhand prices on the things are going far beyond retail, the demand is insane.
Old 04 August 2010, 08:57   #26
Hewitson

Near useless with the stock CPU too.

coze could well be on the right track with the soft core 68k, then again many of us already have real 060's. Perhaps the FPGA could be available on a 68060 pin-compatible PCB.
Old 04 August 2010, 09:06   #27
Cosmos
Banned

>without 060 (so people can upgrade what they got)

lol !
Old 04 August 2010, 09:21   #28
Hewitson

Why is that funny? It's a sensible idea. You wouldn't want to have to buy another CPU unnecessarily.
Old 04 August 2010, 10:43   #29
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_november View Post
Also, what's the status on the new run of 1200 Indivisions? Secondhand prices on the things are going far beyond retail, the demand is insane.
what are the limitations of trying to fit the CD32/4000 indivision to the 1200? I presume the orientation of the PCB is different in some way as 'Alice' signals should be identical should they not?
Old 04 August 2010, 10:50   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
Bought 2 of these SATA adapters and the read/write transfer rates were way too slow.
Define slow. Not just the Amiga PATA interface? When I tried one I got the same speed as native PATA disks. Start a new thread about it and shove in some pictures of the chip on the adapter and I'll try and advise. (I design these things)

Quote:
I use an internal SUBWAY USB board on my A1200 but that hasn't been upgraded in years from USB1.1, I think its only a matter of the controller chips needing updated
Not possible. The Subway uses the A1200 clock port and that is the bottle neck. It is not capable of the bandwidths of "High Speed" USB devices. You could make a High Speed host controller which connected to A1200 clock port but the speeds would not improve very much, if at all. Oh and btw Subway is not USB1.1 It is a "Low Speed" USB2.0 host controller. (I work for the company who supply the chips for Subway!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Hey guys, the Subway is already USB 2.0 compatible, it just doesn't have High Speed mode. And the Subway performs better when plugged into a Zorro board with a Clockport on it, like the X-Surf, so I think the lack of High Speed mode may be because the A1200's Clockport just couldn't handle it.
D'oh! Wish I'd ready this first. Yes Cammy is right.

Quote:
I am sure Elbox are selling new USB2 board for the A4000
Yeah but this uses the A4000 Zorro III bus. The A1200 has nothing comparable. Any USB2.0 high speed host controller for A1200 would have to connect directly to the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
an accelerator board with somekind of FPGA running softcore 68k. Funding of individuals (no pun intended) like tobias gunther or yakub to develop a stable and fast 68k softcore.
While very possible, the FPGA's of today (capable of taking these designs) seem to cost many times more than the equivalent 68k CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
coze could well be on the right track with the soft core 68k, then again many of us already have real 060's.
Certainly you could never get anywhere near the speed of on 040 or 060 with todays FPGAs at anywhere close to $65 (The price of an MC68060RC50 E41J on Ebay). Certainly couldn't get anywhere near the speed of an 060 run at 90Mz with SDRAM. This may become more practical as years go by. Certainly worth thinking about for the future.

Last edited by alexh; 04 August 2010 at 11:04.
Old 04 August 2010, 10:56   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Does everyone not think that there are enough A1200 8Mbyte RAM cards out there? IMO they are just lurking in everyone's cupboards as backups. I know I've got one and I don't even have an A1200!

If a new supply of accelerators came along the market would be filled with these 8Mbyte RAM boards as their old turbo card becomes their backup.

Is everyone here who is suggesting these cards got Vanilla 2Mbyte A1200's?
Old 04 August 2010, 10:56   #32
1time
Amiga Lover

68060 board with modern features for A1200 that fits in a original A1200.

Hardware rom switcher for A1200.
Old 04 August 2010, 11:00   #33
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not exactly restricted to A1200:

ROM flash adapter with following features:

- in-circuit programmable
- manually switchable backup boot flash (that can't be accidentally erased or overwritten), does not need to be larger than 4k or so, enough for track/serial loader. (this is must have feature if you want to do any kind of developing and/or testing)
- small enough to fit inside an A1200 (socket adapter + SMD flash chip + some control logic chip)
- rom switcher (2MB 5v flash chips are still commonly available)
- configurable switcher or large (1M/2M) rom support
- solder pads for signals that are not available in rom socket (write, different Amiga models need different connections)

(Yes, I have already said this previously somewhere else.. I'll also volunteer for software writing..)
Old 04 August 2010, 11:07   #34
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
- manually switchable backup boot flash
Would it be good enough to use a flash part which supports sector erase/programming. Then the software could be written so as never to overwrite that section of the flash?
Old 04 August 2010, 11:23   #35
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Would it be good enough to use a flash part which supports sector erase/programming. Then the software could be written so as never to overwrite that section of the flash?
Yes, I meant either separate chip or part of flash is reserved for "boot" rom (some flashes do have special "boot rom" area that has extra protections but afaik they are usually located at the end of address space which isn't Amiga compatible, unless "control" logic chip can handle this some way)
Old 04 August 2010, 13:01   #36
Jakodemus

Modern 68060 turbo as has been already proposed. No need for PPC.
Old 04 August 2010, 13:52   #37
4pLaY
resistance.no

As so many others have said! Turbo board =).
Old 04 August 2010, 14:10   #38
wilshy

Send a message via AIM to wilshy Send a message via MSN to wilshy
A time travel device back to the heady Amiga days of 1994.
Old 04 August 2010, 14:11   #39
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
cheap 68060 with PPC pref if not without
I second that..
.. maybe without cpu (only socket) like gulliver says before and with select option between 040/060
Old 04 August 2010, 14:16   #40
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Hardware Action Replay for A1200...

also from amigahistory...

The Escom Amigas were also struck by incompatibility problems due to a different disk drive being used, it was actually a PC high-density drive mechanism that had been altered to allow compatibility with the Amiga filesystem. Unfortunately, some games that hit the hardware directly would not run. A circuit upgrade was released free of charge that allowed users to fix the drive problem.
AdSense AdSense