English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 July 2010, 21:00   #21
mjnurney

i will give Aros a run for its money , at the moment it boots so fast - about 10 secs to desktop.

the network is a pain as is UAE ..
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 July 2010, 21:02   #22
mjnurney

can i post pics on here?
Old 20 July 2010, 21:04   #23
TCD

Yes, use something like http://www.imageshack.us/ or http://www.imagehost.org/. They both offer the ready-to-use forum links.
Old 20 July 2010, 22:34   #24
mjnurney

hello boys and girls...

okay todays update...network working, infact im writing this in AROS on my LCD tv and damn quick the 'net is too...it was a driver issue, included in Aros but not selected correctly by me!
Also the DNS was coming up wrong every time but saved now.

also using a wireless keyboard with it, not problems so far..

i'll upload photos tomorrow thanks, when i get them off my damn iphone!

UAE to sort out now
Old 20 July 2010, 23:07   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi mjnurney,

It's good to see you making progress with this. Well done!

Good luck with the next step.
Old 21 July 2010, 00:11   #26
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Well this is why I say its pointless buying a whole new machine for software that is beta. It will be very buggy at best. Also would you mind telling us you are doing on here that winuae won't do? Either as a split screen winuae or a direct boot into winuae for all needs?
Personally (and I'm aware you're not asking me...) I would love to run AROS due to the fact that the OS is one I like the feel of - AmigaOS - and that I can compile/run native x86 code on it and also don't have to slow the CPU down emulating a 68k.

Of course, it would be nice if it worked, but it doesn't here!

D.
Old 21 July 2010, 00:39   #27
Hercules
Beer monster

Their are quite a few people who slate Aros, and yes their are compatability issues with particular chipsets, but things are slowly evolving into an excellent little OS, and the funding for new drivers and support is funded through bounties (people who make donations) that is why development is slow.

My only critism is the lack of proper memory protection, and lack of wifi support. The wifi support is currently being implemented and will be ready in the next few months, so it should make getting online much easier via support for Atheros chipset wifi cards.

You have to keep in mind that distro's such as Ubuntu have a massive resource pool of developers, whereas Aros contributors are small in number in comparison. Given more time it will be the OS of choice for Amiga users wanting to enjoy powerful x86 hardware.

I'm lucky to have an old Pentium 4 machine, but it didn't work with my onboard sound, so picked up an old Soundblaster with EMU10k chipset and sound now finally works. Hurrah !

Last edited by Hercules; 21 July 2010 at 20:09.
Old 21 July 2010, 00:41   #28
mjnurney

update No2

Janus UAE - now running and playing flashback

more playing err testing tomorrow!

plays at full speed but sound is a little flaky..
Old 21 July 2010, 00:47   #29
Hercules
Beer monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
update No2

Janus UAE - now running and playing flashback

more playing err testing tomorrow!

plays at full speed but sound is a little flaky..
Flakey sound is probably due to the Intel atom, as it is slight underpowered for accurate sound under Janus. I have same prob on my 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 when running some games too.
Old 21 July 2010, 04:21   #30
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have a 3200 Barton with 2GB RAM a supported motherboard - alas finding the right Nvida graphics and sound at the right (elcheapo) price at the moment....

I have a super-smarty desktop chassis for it too =)

ahh well --- when funds and time co-inciide I will do a how-too =D
Old 21 July 2010, 14:58   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I have a 3200 Barton with 2GB RAM a supported motherboard - alas finding the right Nvida graphics and sound at the right (elcheapo) price at the moment....

I have a super-smarty desktop chassis for it too =)

ahh well --- when funds and time co-inciide I will do a how-too =D
Luckly for me, my main pc. Which I consider still powerful, works perfect with it.

Network, sound and gfx all working, . Aint had much time to play around with it yet, but Im glad I got it all right in the end. First attempt, it did'nt want to install on my Stick and it instead decided to delete all my partitions. That caused a massive headache, as I lost everything on my server, I then lost everything I had managed to find / backup, .
Old 21 July 2010, 15:52   #32
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@FOL

Glad you got it fully running first shot! mine took two attempts to get it up off the ground, I had everything bar 3d graphics support - but thats mainly down to ATI's poor *nix distro driver set!

I have to admit I am reallly looking at getting some transparen't emulation running, that will be nice, I also like the 68k inline interpreter as well, thats going to be fun to play with.. AND code with as well =D
Old 22 July 2010, 00:02   #33
mjnurney

hi all,

finally getting my head around AROS and its mostly stable and very quick. the web works very well, even a hack for flash player

however...

UAE (amiga emulation) the whole point on my part , runs quickly but has serious sound issues! i know its version 0.7 (j-uae) and has a long way to go but this is a deal breaker for me...

if the sound is resolved quickly then im sold on it but ..... UAE is no use without sound
Old 22 July 2010, 00:10   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi mjnurney,

Have you considered E-UAE?

There is an Experimental 0.8.28 AROS/x86 binary.
Old 22 July 2010, 00:25   #35
rockersuke

It's being an exciting trip seeing the kid growing. It gave an unexpected life-span to my former desktop PC, in which most things work properly, and now I'm finding my way with a bootable pendrive for my new AO532h netbook. Right now It boots and works like a charm using an external monitor in VESA mode. Sound is giving some headache, though. There are, in both my setups, tons of minor glimpses and a couple of serious persistent crashing bugs which I ocasionally report at Aros Exec forums.

I definitively like the thing!

--
Old 22 July 2010, 00:53   #36
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
It's being an exciting trip seeing the kid growing. It gave an unexpected life-span to my former desktop PC, in which most things work properly, and now I'm finding my way with a bootable pendrive for my new AO532h netbook. Right now It boots and works like a charm using an external monitor in VESA mode. Sound is giving some headache, though. There are, in both my setups, tons of minor glimpses and a couple of serious persistent crashing bugs which I ocasionally report at Aros Exec forums.

I definitively like the thing!

--
Sound is fine on mine, will do some testing.
Old 22 July 2010, 01:31   #37
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Hey FOL,

As AROS matures, do you think this AmigaKit might sell AROS based PC's in the future, similar to the imica?
Old 22 July 2010, 02:13   #38
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
Hey FOL,

As AROS matures, do you think this AmigaKit might sell AROS based PC's in the future, similar to the imica?
Its possible, thats all I can say at the moment.
Old 22 July 2010, 12:45   #39
Hercules
Beer monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
Hey FOL,

I don't know about Amigakit selling them, but Velsalia who are based in Germany are already selling the Ares one if your interested:-

http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f13555e4...76964384f77646
Old 22 July 2010, 22:45   #40
mjnurney

hi all,

No joy with UAE / J-UAE or E-UAE 0.8 Sound problems on all.The games all run fine, play quick and do every thing that they should but the sound is painfully slow........

Last edited by mjnurney; 22 July 2010 at 23:55.
AdSense AdSense