English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 August 2010, 18:40   #21
TCD

Anyone remember when consoles used cartridges and had no internet access? *sigh* Those were the days.
Back then nobody would have complained about them not being open to users...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 August 2010, 18:15   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>How about porting Fellow to Windows CE?

AFAIK many WinCE devices aren't based on x86 CPUs. So the ASM code would still need conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Anyone remember when consoles used cartridges and had no internet access? *sigh* Those were the days.
Back then nobody would have complained about them not being open to users...
On the contrary. A classic cartridge-based console such as the Emerson Arcadia 2001 can run homebrew titles, I have written some myself for it. There is no BIOS attempting to brick your console, and you have full access to all hardware. Which, I might add, isn't the case even for some computer OSes, eg. try to produce output via the internal speaker by writing to port $61 when running under WinXP and see what happens. Even though it was specifically guaranteed that this interface would continue to be available.

Last edited by Minuous; 08 August 2010 at 18:25.
Old 08 August 2010, 18:22   #23
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Console manufacturers make 99% of their cash from the sale of games.
Yes but who cares what companies such as Sony, Nintendo and Microfilth want? Eg. Sony would also like to compromise our systems by installing their rootkits, Nintendo try to pretend that emulation is inherently illegal and then steal other people's free emulators (eg. PocketNES) for use in their own commercial products. And don't get me started about M$. These are three of the five most evil corporations in the world and you expect me to care about protecting their attach rates?

Dumping their hardware at a loss or near-loss is itself a questionable monopolistic business practice. If they have a flawed business model, they should change it. It's certainly no excuse to restrict anyone's freedom let alone damage their hardware for which they have paid.
Old 08 August 2010, 18:47   #24
TCD

At least the SNES already had mechanisms to prevent user code, so there's nothing new there. Complaining about it won't change anything and simply not buying the system is still the best way to deal with it. The XBox (non 360) is certainly preferred by quite a few as an emulation platform for a reason.
Old 08 August 2010, 19:16   #25
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
At least the SNES already had mechanisms to prevent user code, so there's nothing new there.
This has been going on for quite a while, yes...

Quote:
Complaining about it won't change anything
It would with most companies. Maybe not with these ones though. Most companies care about what their customers and potential customers think.

Quote:
and simply not buying the system is still the best way to deal with it.
Indeed. It is helpful though to also explain *why* one is boycotting their products if one wants them to change their business practices.

Quote:
The XBox (non 360) is certainly preferred by quite a few as an emulation platform for a reason.
I assume the main two reasons would be: (a) because it's x86 based and therefore easier to port emulators to; and (b) because Xbox games are crap, so emulation is the only way to play decent games on an Xbox.
Old 09 August 2010, 01:08   #26
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Yes but who cares what companies such as Sony, Nintendo and Microfilth want? Eg. Sony would also like to compromise our systems by installing their rootkits, Nintendo try to pretend that emulation is inherently illegal and then steal other people's free emulators (eg. PocketNES) for use in their own commercial products. And don't get me started about M$. These are three of the five most evil corporations in the world and you expect me to care about protecting their attach rates?

Dumping their hardware at a loss or near-loss is itself a questionable monopolistic business practice. If they have a flawed business model, they should change it. It's certainly no excuse to restrict anyone's freedom let alone damage their hardware for which they have paid.
I don't expect you to care about any of them.

I was merely responding to your earlier points about Microsoft protecting their investment.

All of the above it a completely different debate, and one I'm not interested in

Although I do find These are three of the five most evil corporations in the world fucking hilarious.
Old 09 August 2010, 01:15   #27
TCD

Completely missed that bit. McDonalds and Coca Cola are the other two? Or Starbucks & Disney? Nokia & Apple? Choices, choices.
AdSense AdSense