English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 June 2010, 05:33   #1
mattbarton.exe

Matt's interview with Sean Cooper

[ Show youtube player ]

This episode features the first part of an interview with Sean Cooper, designer of Syndicate. I hope you enjoy it! I also hope you'll post a comment about Sean's assertion about British vs. American and Japanese developers. I'm very curious if you agree or disagree with it. Also, I didn't put this in the episode, but he claimed that the Archimedes was ten times faster than the Amiga and much better (though he admits to loving the Amiga). I have zero experience with the the Archimedes. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? Yeah, I could read Wikipedia, but I'd rather read your accounts.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 June 2010, 13:01   #2
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

To hear Sean talking about YTS schemes in the UK reminds me so much about how the UK was around this time - YTS Schemes were hated and often looked upon as a way of employers gaining cheap labour and as a way of the Conservative Government (Welcome back!) cutting the unemployment figures - it is ironic though that the YTS scheme that Sean found himself on led to a job with Peter Molyneux! - Talk about a stroke of luck!

Very much looking forward to hearing more from Sean, thanks Matt great episode...
Old 14 June 2010, 17:36   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't want to bash 'western thinking', but what I interpret from what I see coming out of eastern countries, they are simply far more appreciative of the kind of pleasure that all the different kinds of media can provide. Something we would perceive as childish, awkward or even taboo is simply accepted as being fun there.

That also translates into the Japanese developers - of course they will have a different way to approach the same concepts. "The making of - Silent Hill 2" is a good example of this, the documentary allows you to crawl a little into the mind of some Japanese developers and designers. Highly recommended.
Old 14 June 2010, 18:08   #4
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

For anyone interested there is a great interview with Sean Cooper on IncGamers Click here to read...

It is a shame that Syndicate never included the link up option that other Bullfrog games had.
Old 15 June 2010, 01:14   #5
gilgamesh
Linux snob

The Archimedes introduced ARM, which is quite a decent legacy imo. Yet few of these British machines ever made it to the continent. No idea why. Amstrad/Schneider CPC is the only one I remember, and IBM clones were much more common.

I'd say American and Japanese studios like SSI, Sierra, Nintendo, Square Enix, etc are/were generally more inclined to produce long winding series. I can't think of an European studio that made more than three parts of a game. (Ok Settlers, but then?)

Btw, nice interview. It's really good to see that the people who made the games are real persons after all, (which is the concept of MattChat as far as I understand it).
Old 15 June 2010, 11:57   #6
Bloodwych

Nice interview! Yes, we had a three way war between the ST, Amiga and Arc fans in the later years. Arc fans always spouted out superiority, which in many ways it was, but the machines were expensive and lacked games support, with very few titles being written purely for the machine.

The Arc had a more powerful CPU, being one of the first ARM RISC processors, but it lacked a blitter and any kind of custom video hardware so it relied on the brute force method in many games like PC's of the time. There is a thread on it here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=archimedies

It did have an internal PSU, hires 256 colour screen mode, high density floppy and 8-channel sound. It also had a very good RISC mulitasking operating system (first with outlined fonts?) built in that was easy to use and thus it's popularity as a school machine.

As for being 10 times more powerful - take a look at some youtube games on the machine and you decide. Nice machine, but not built primarily with games in mind due to the standard VGA like video hardware. Had it had some dedicated chips for gaming, it would have blown everything out of the water. Have to remember however, this machine was built on a limited budget and custom video hardware would have proven too expensive, which is a shame.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 15 June 2010 at 12:26.
Old 21 June 2010, 02:38   #7
laffer
Zone Friend

What

No one has posted the followup yet?

Anyway, [ Show youtube player ] is really interesting... he talks about Syndicate and it's very interesting.
Old 21 June 2010, 03:55   #8
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, Laffer! Sean is a great guy; I hope everyone will check out his Flash games. I've been having a great time with Zombie Wars.

http://www.games.seantcooper.com/
Old 21 June 2010, 20:51   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

syndicate defines you as a person huh.

Note to self: if I see Matt Barton... RUN!
Old 21 June 2010, 22:41   #10
mattbarton.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
syndicate defines you as a person huh.

Note to self: if I see Matt Barton... RUN!
lol! Yeah, now I think about it, not the best way to put it.
Old 22 June 2010, 04:21   #11
Zyphon

Thanks for uploading that vid on YouTube Matt, I have replied to your video. Syndicate on the Amiga rocks and I believe it to be a classic Amiga game. Nice work.
AdSense AdSense