English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 June 2010, 20:16   #1
paul2010

Getting my A500 out after 15 or so years

I've currently got an A500 with A520 modulator sitting on top of my wardrobe and I want to get it up and working.

To the best of my knowledge, there's only the keyboard and modulator, so am I right in thinking I'd just need to buy a power supply, TV cable and mouse from somewhere like Amigakit?

I used to use my Amiga on a 14" portable but now only have access to a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 223BW LCD monitor.

Will I need to use an RGB to VGA cable (the monitor doesn't have a SCART connector) and will the quality be any good?

I realise I then wouldn't need the A520 modulator.

I was also wondering if I could upgrade Workbench/Kickstart from 1.3 to 3.0 or 3.1, as I really don't like the look of 1.3 (I still remember to this day how ugly it looks).

Thanks.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 June 2010, 20:24   #2
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
You could link the a520 unit to a tv with phono leads but the best way is a scart to rgb i reckon i intend to diplay my 1200 set up through this method on a lcd tv, unsure on the rom question sorry
Old 08 June 2010, 20:35   #3
paul2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1200 View Post
You could link the a520 unit to a tv with phono leads but the best way is a scart to rgb i reckon i intend to diplay my 1200 set up through this method on a lcd tv, unsure on the rom question sorry
A Scart cable isn't an option, as my LCD monitor doesn't have a scart connector (only VGA and DVI).

I have got a 26" LCD TV but I think that may be a bit too big for an Amiga.

I'm starting to have serious thoughts about just buying an A1200 from Amigakit - would save me a lot of hassle (especially as I don't know if my Amiga keyboard actually works).

I just feel for the little amount of time I'd be able to play games, a new A1200 would be a bit of a waste of money.
Old 08 June 2010, 21:11   #4
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

You can still pick up a decent 1200 more likely with a yellowed keyboard cheap enough if you hold out, i only just commented on another thread that i picked up the main one in my sig for 25.00 locally and is very clean, but again yes i'd love a new old stock escom model!

i did have a a500+ however as found some of the old games loaded easier etc, but mmhhh i would say link it up to the bigger lcd you have once you get a psu just to see if it works etc

there may be options on how to link a 500 to a vga connection just don’t know off hand sorry

good luck with it all though
Old 08 June 2010, 21:39   #5
paul2010

Well, I was looking at getting a built-to-order A1200 from Amigakit (expensive, I know) but it appears they've stopped this service and you can only buy 'new old stock' now?

It's just that, one, I've got the money for an Amiga from them, and, two, I'd rather buy from a totally genuine source.

I just can't believe you can still buy all this Amiga stuff from one company 15 years on and especially online.

Long live the Amiga!
Old 08 June 2010, 21:45   #6
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Yep i was amazed at amikit when i seen it was like a few crimbo's in one lol, i hope to complete my wish list this decade too

mmhhh unsure on the add on option though thought it could still be done, and on the purchase front i know it can be a bit iffy on e-bay but there are many great and kind members on here that will not mess about in any way, i have purchased allot through here some through e-bay and the rest probably local papers and car boot's etc
Old 08 June 2010, 21:50   #7
paul2010

This is the 'built-to-order' page and when I configure it, the price stays at £100 and when I try and get a shipping estimate, it says 'Error: Product was not found. Please close this window and try again.'.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...=305#configure

Also, they used to have the link on the main Amigakit page but I can't find it.

I'll have to contact them.

Last edited by paul2010; 08 June 2010 at 22:03.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:12   #8
paul2010

Wow - that was quick.

Just got an e-mail from them, saying they've only got new A1200's in stock but I can configure one if I give them details.

Help! What to choose?

The trouble is, the default system alone is £167 without upgrades.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:12   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
I used to use my Amiga on a 14" portable but now only have access to a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 223BW LCD monitor.

Will I need to use an RGB to VGA cable (the monitor doesn't have a SCART connector) and will the quality be any good?
You cannot use this monitor with an Amiga without a scandoubler (which will be too much money). Much cheaper to get hold of an old TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
I was also wondering if I could upgrade Workbench/Kickstart from 1.3 to 3.0 or 3.1, as I really don't like the look of 1.3 (I still remember to this day how ugly it looks).
You have no hard drive so what is the point?

I wouldn't bother buying an A1200 unless your a die-hard Amiga fan. You'll end up spending way too much money and use it twice before putting it ontop of the wardrobe next to your A500.

Get an Amiga PSU, mouse and joystick off ebay (some will come along in your area for collection within a couple of weeks) and use the A520 with your 26" LCDTV. If you like it then invest in an RGB SCART cable or make your own.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:15   #10
paul2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You cannot use this monitor with an Amiga without a scandoubler (which will be too much money). Much cheaper to get hold of an old TV.

You have no hard drive so what is the point?
Thanks for the info about the monitor.

I know what you mean about not being able to use WHDLoad etc - I just wanted a nicer-looking GUI to play around with.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:20   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Do you have a collection of Amiga floppy disks? If not then how are you going to use your A500? You cannot use a PC to write Amiga disks.

Be careful or what could have been just £10 (for a PSU, mouse & joystick, composite cable) will soon turn into £300+ (for an A1200, scandoubler, hard drive, network card, compact flash & adapter etc) and you might only use it once or twice before the nostalgia wears off.

Do a bit of begging here and over on http://www.amibay.com, if there is an Amiga Enthusiast near you they might loan you the PSU, mouse, joystick and composite cable.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:35   #12
paul2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Do you have a collection of Amiga floppy disks? If not then how are you going to use your A500? You cannot use a PC to write Amiga disks.

Be careful or what could have been just £10 (for a PSU, mouse & joystick, composite cable) will soon turn into £300+ (for an A1200, scandoubler, hard drive, network card, compact flash & adapter etc) and you might only use it once or twice before the nostalgia wears off.

Do a bit of begging here and over on http://www.amibay.com, if there is an Amiga Enthusiast near you they might loan you the PSU, mouse, joystick and composite cable.
I've only got about 15 discs (including 5 or so games). I've found my Workbench 1.3 disc and I've also got WB 2.0 lying around somewhere.

I'd just be messing around with the games I've already got (some Tenstar pack ones and some other boxed games) and playing around with Deluxe Paint 2.

I definitely won't turn into a obsessive collector or hardcore user, as I'm much, much more at home with PCs and my Apple iMac.

I also haven't got the money to spend on loads of Amiga kit.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:38   #13
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
then its probably wise to follow alexh`s advice and use WinUAE on your PC and dream about owning the best dam amiga imagination can get
Old 09 June 2010, 04:30   #14
Hewitson

I can't see alexh suggesting that anywhere. The guy has a real A500, why would he have any interest in using an emulator?

And why on earth would a 26" TV be "too big for an Amiga"?

I've got both my A1200 & A2000 connected to 32" Widescreen LCD's. They look great.
Old 09 June 2010, 05:36   #15
e5frog
Green

Send a message via MSN to e5frog
You need a Y-cable with two RCA-connectors in one end and one in the other to input the sound in the RF modulator. Place it in the A500 audio outputs and into the audio in on the side of it - otherwise you will not get sound if you plan to use an antenna cable to connect it to your TV.

Better option is to use the Video Out on the side of the A520, and connect it to an A/V input on you TV as well as the audio out signals - even better if you hook it up to your surround sound system!

There are a few different kinds of PSU:s that you can use, I would recommend the lightweight large sized version - for shipping reasons. There's also a smaller black one that will fit just fine - don't know which of them had this as an original PSU but my first used A600 had one of those.

If you really want to use the Samsung screen, get a TV-card for your PC and connect it via that. I have modified my A520 to S-Video and the picture is superb when using it with my 8 year old Pinnacle internal PCI TV-card.

You can modify an A520 reversibly following these easy 20 steps, it will not be visible on the outside:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/overclock/a520.html

The Audio In and Video Out of the A520 will be used for the Y/C signal unless you make a hole and put a mini-DIN connector there somewhere instead.
RF out will be disabled with this mod.

Composite via tv-card is not that bad either.

There are some (old) PC-monitors that would work, they need to be able to go as low as 15kHz horizontal scan rate:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/archive/...p/t-36429.html

Last edited by e5frog; 09 June 2010 at 06:01.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:00   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Paul,

If you can wait a few days, maybe a week I might be able to sort you out with a mouse, joystick and PSU as I should have spares. You can have them for the cost of postage, I'm waiting for a parcel to arrive with an Amiga 600 and I wont really need the PSU/Mouse (as I already have a few lol) and I have a few joysticks in the cupboards.

I'll get back to you on this.

Then at least you can try out the A500 and see if you want to invest in an A1200 later. You can pick up boxes of games on floppy for next to nothing, look out for the collection only stuff on ebay as Alexh suggested you can come up with some real bargains.

You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand A1200 for <£30 and then you can add a hard drive, old laptop HDD's cost next to nothing or you can use a CF card with an adapter instead.

If you want to play WHDLoad games from the hard drive you'll need a trapdoor ram expansion these go for around £40

Good luck with your Amiga adventure!

Steve.
Old 09 June 2010, 13:26   #17
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Agreed i think the best bet is to get the a500 linked up to that bigger lcd asap and re-live the amiga a bit then maybe invest in a 1200 further down the line if the ami bug takes over again

and great offer Steve

Chris
Old 09 June 2010, 20:02   #18
paul2010

I've just this minute got the dusty box down from the top of my wardrobe.

The keyboard is incredibly yellow (despite me having the dust cover on it all these years) and I can't find the A520 modulator (although not needed, as I plan to get a gold-plated RGB to Scart cable off eBay).

Is there anything simple I can do to improve the colour of the keyboard (don't want to get involved with dangerous chemicals!)?

Thanks for the bundle offer, fitzsteve - I'll see how things go before accepting.

I've got a question about buying games - my A500's got the 512k upgrade, so can I run any game that says '1MB' on the box or will some 1MB Ram games only work with the A1200?
Old 09 June 2010, 20:34   #19
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Not much can be done with the keyboard apart from the retro bright process you mentioned to my knowledge, if the case is good though you may get a better keyboard element off e-bay.

game wise again to my knowledge i think as long as you have the 512k upgrade the 1mb floppys should load ok as long as there not 1200/aga only

keep us posted
Old 09 June 2010, 21:40   #20
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Its no problem Paul. Let us know how you get on

As ck1200 says you'll be good for all the non AGA 1mb Games

Steve.
AdSense AdSense