Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 June 2010, 12:01   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
Happy First stable version of Dolphin (GC) Emulator Released

Hi,

If you have a fast enough dual or quad-core CPU
And if for some reason you cannot play Nintendo games on the real thing as often as you would like to
or are simply curious about the games that Nintendo and its partners released after the N64 demise,
you might be interested in testing the updated version of the best Gamecube emulator to date : Dolphin v2.0

I use the 32-bit Windows version myself, but there are linux and (I know Ian will enjoy this) 64-bit Windows versions available too.

Of course, I played a bit with the settings before creating this thread, and about half of the game images I downloaded work at full speed (predictably, with a few glitches), while a few would simply refuse to boot.

One of the dude who posts Dolphin videos on YouTube has its Dual Core overclocked @ 4GHz, so don't expect smooth gameplay if your CPU is not clocked above 3GHz (still, if you manage e.g. by using an older version to play those games you like smoothly with a somewhat less powerful config., good for you !)

Dolphin is supposed to be suited to play wii games, but I didn't try that yet since it's already rather challenging to get the most famous GC games to load / work (furthermore, I suppose the controls wouldn't fit an ordinary gamepad) at decent speed.

I have stumbled upon this update a few days ago, so obviously there are people more familiar than me with Dolphin out there. Also, those familiar with the N64 emulator Project64 might get the thing play GC roms faster than others due to a similar plugin architecture.

Needless to say, I own the GC games which I have downloaded "back up's" of, and certainly don't encourage anyone to get any GC rom if they are not in a similar situation.

Finally, there is a (too) small bunch of 2D games such as Legend of Zelda 4 Swords Adventure & Paper Mario that were released. Theoretically, Dolphin will play these without a hitch with default or close to default settings.

Last edited by NewDeli; 07 June 2010 at 16:44.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 June 2010, 17:44   #2
NewDeli
Banned

Here is the list of games which are 100% (or 99%) playable with the emulator :
  • Baten Kaitos Origins
  • Digimon World IV
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Plus the two I already mentioned.
It's alarmingly short but there are a few others which I can play despite some more glitches and slowdowns (Wario World, Skies of Arcadia...).

Just be careful with overheating, CPU use flirts with 100% upon each launch.
Old 07 June 2010, 17:52   #3
tero

i suggest googling for the disc-format the gc-dvd's have, and try to find a drive to buy.
some DVD drives can read them and some not
i can't remember the format but my old ricoh drive could read them while the newer lg don't.

in my pov it's better then dl them as they are quiet big files, and the games are cheap nowadays....
Old 07 June 2010, 18:10   #4
NewDeli
Banned

Each .iso / .gcm weights about 1.4 GB. That's reasonable considering HDD manufacturers have entered the 1+TB market some time ago. A few games use 2 miniDVDs.

It's a different approach but if you bought used games that are unplayable with Dolphin, what would you do with them ? GC emulation is still pretty much WIP and thus one's mileage may vary.
Old 07 June 2010, 20:22   #5
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli View Post
Each .iso / .gcm weights about 1.4 GB. That's reasonable considering HDD manufacturers have entered the 1+TB market some time ago. A few games use 2 miniDVDs.
in my case i dl with 6 to 15 kb/s - that's up to 30mb per hour,
1.4gb is nearly unreachable

Quote:
It's a different approach but if you bought used games that are unplayable with Dolphin, what would you do with them ? GC emulation is still pretty much WIP and thus one's mileage may vary.
i wouldn't buy games not working
but buying the one's working or play on the real thing, i still have one
there are always games that are better controllable on the real thing..
even with other systems emu's

and with time emulation becomes more usable, pcsx2 for example ran ff-x with 50% of speed and crashed inbetween - that's only 1 year and a gfx card ago
with the actuall beta i play it with 100% of speed and savestate's without crashes.

or in short - if it will do Zelda, it's enough
Old 08 June 2010, 06:53   #6
NewDeli
Banned

Yeah, lots of YouTube videos about PCSX2 users proudly exhibiting how they manage to play FFX & XII on their computer !
There are 3 Zelda's on the GC, people thoroughly enjoy Wind Walker but I am more impressed by Twilight Princess' universe & facetious characters. The GC catalog of games is good but not great, there are missing franchises from the N64 such as Gex, too bad, really they had to blow it so fast from the shelves.

Well, it could be interesting to compare the titles that made the GC (Metroid...) VS those who made (and still makes) the PS2, but the purpose of this thread is more about reporting games that work at decent speed with Dolphin.
May be it can expanded to include PCSX2 users experience. I am pretty sure the latter doesn't need the Herculean horsepower required by Dolphin v2.
Old 08 June 2010, 13:16   #7
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Dolphin always been a pretty good performing emulator and not near as processor intensive as pcsx2. Shouldnt be an issue with g performance and wii works pretty well too. completed dead space extraction, and thats a challenge in it self emulating wiimote with mouse and keyboard.
Old 08 June 2010, 14:00   #8
NewDeli
Banned

This version of Dolphin nearly brings my PC to its knees with the CPU gauge completely filled up, and I've googled the sites which offer advice on how to get the best of it. May be the author increased compatibility at the cost of CPU power requirements. Don't try Dead Speed or the other titles that used to play perfectly but try for example Beyond Good or Evil or F-Zero GX, plz.

As for PCSX2, I don't have much room left on my HDD set, but I'll certainly give a try to the latest version. I believe the PS2 I has some of the finest platformers.

Last edited by NewDeli; 09 June 2010 at 00:57.
Old 09 June 2010, 00:30   #9
tero

I will remind me to buy a gc compatible drive next time i need one
as i'll still have some games here. would like to try them

as for pcsx2 it is doing most of gfx operation calculated by the cpu's, whyever
that's why you need a dual-core with nearly 3ghz to play it with 100% of speed. (ff-x, some other games won't do 100% even on faster machines)
and my faster gfx card doesn't changed that, only the ctd's re gone.

may as note:
ff x isn't a performance hungry game, try other games like shadows of the colossus.
on my old setup (didn't tried it on the new), the speed was less then 1 fps
but impressive that it has lesser errors compared to ff-x with 50% of speed
Old 09 June 2010, 01:29   #10
NewDeli
Banned

If you want the Zelda's and a few others tero, I can burn and send you a DVD-R with the NTSC back-up's on it if you wish.
Slightly OT
It took me over 6 months to understand how to overclock properly my dual core (3.33 GHz stock clock, now fares @3.67 GHz) because of some dumb & misleading mention about the DRAM frequency in the BIOS.
/Slightly OT
Now I can play both GC race games (Mario Kart & F-Zero) @full speed. Fucking amazing !
Owners of E8400 with an overclocked CPU @4Ghz or so should obtain encouraging results too (with the not-so-compatible games that would require it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
as for pcsx2 it is doing most of gfx operation calculated by the cpu's
Same thing for Dolphin, it does most of the gfx operations at the CPU level. Apparently, you're both at ease with the settings. Just make sure you have set the CPU engine to JitIL and EFB copy to Texture for a significant speed boost.

Thanx for not letting down this notoriously non-Amiga thread !
Old 09 June 2010, 06:10   #11
tero

Quote:
If you want the Zelda's and a few others tero, I can burn and send you a DVD-R with the NTSC back-up's on it if you wish.
nice offer but i'll have zelda's original, and they are the only ones i play with gamecube. except for Zelda and Final Fantasy i didn't like consoles that much

Quote:
Thanx for not letting down this notoriously non-Amiga thread !
Hehe, after all it's retrogaming general...
Old 09 June 2010, 13:54   #12
NewDeli
Banned

Capcom VS SNK only weights 300 Mo. May be you could try this one and see if it works better for you. Which Zelda are you referring to ? WW ?
I need feedback on the emulator use guys, or I'll have to declare myself the de facto Imperator of CPU intensive lamulating !

Last edited by NewDeli; 09 June 2010 at 14:11.
Old 12 June 2010, 15:49   #13
tero

i'll have Wind Waker and Ocarina of time master quest
the last one is still the same as the n64 version but at least some dungeons are differnt and some items are found in other locations.

i didn't played ww, but will someday - just didn't find the time to play
may i will try to get a smaller dl for gamecube, but don't expect that i can tell you something in the near future.
I'll have too much to do atm, and the list of games i will play is growing...

Last edited by tero; 24 June 2010 at 23:52. Reason: typo
Old 13 June 2010, 04:11   #14
NewDeli
Banned

As attempts to illustrate GC gaming via Dolphin, I've started a series of Mario Kart DD captures in which I pick up the Mushroom Cup circuit and 150cc kart.

What follows is not a HowTo but a few words about what I did, and why I consider those captures worthy despite not being quite conducted @full speed.

About the RECORDING
Dolphin resolution is set @848x480 (which gives a close to widescreen ratio).
A fraction of the screen is captured since the emulator runs in window mode (with borders)
I use Camtasia Studio with the TSCC codec (why go for less ?).

Played a bit with the priority settings for the recorder component to keep up
aka been trying to find the right balance between the recorder and Dolphin processes when both compete for CPU cycles.

It took some time, but I am mostly satisfied with the final result.
Head to my last post in YT thread for the link(s), plz.

Last edited by NewDeli; 14 June 2010 at 06:20.
Old 13 June 2010, 04:24   #15
aldo

get a bluetooth dongle and you can use a wiimote
Old 13 June 2010, 06:31   #16
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
get a bluetooth dongle and you can use a wiimote
Serious?
i'll have a dongle (bluetooth)

is there any driver or such i need to get it running?
or better: is there a guide?
Old 14 June 2010, 03:32   #17
aldo

Theres tons of guides on the web, youtube etc.
Basically all you need is bluetooth, a wiimote and a nunchuck and a wireless sensor bar. It seems a lot of hassle but when you play Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Tenchu Shadow Assasins with a wiimote and nunchuck its well worth it.
Old 14 June 2010, 03:44   #18
aldo

http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/forum-8.html
would be a good place to start
Old 15 June 2010, 04:41   #19
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
when you play Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Tenchu Shadow Assasins with a wiimote and nunchuck its well worth it.
I thought only Mario Galaxy was worth playing extensively with the wiimote (despite being too easy) .

@Tero
I made some progress on the PCSX2-loading-one-ISO-after-the-other front, but it seems you were right concerning Shadows of the Colossus. Since I merely wanted to be presented with the intro cinematics for a start, I skipped *a lot* of documentation on how to properly run the emu. This said, loading SotC seems problematic although limiting factor might not be the CPU but the aging GPU inside my PC.

Doesn't that game purpose ends up being a bit dumb ?
Finding a way to jump on some giant creatures' head just to slay them down with your sword ? Doesn't that amount to fooling people into thinking they're Legolas (remember the Cave-troll sequence in Khazad-dum ?). I am not going to bother until I am more familiar with PCSX2 (read : ...not until I successfully launch & play a bit all of my other lovely PS2 games ).

The beta seems to be doing a remarkable job @accurately emulating the PS2 . Downside of that : it may be wiser to forget about it if your computer is subpar.

Can't wait to sneak in Camtasia Studio to show the world how I beat the crap out of Tekken V ('tis a joke, I need practise) !
Old 15 June 2010, 05:37   #20
tero

Quote:
loading SotC seems problematic although limiting factor might not be the CPU but the aging GPU inside my PC.
Let me tell you that i have an ati hd5750/700mhz with 1gb ram ddr5 at 1.15ghz and it's not usable on that game

Quote:
Doesn't that game purpose ends up being a bit dumb ?
Finding a way to jump on some giant creatures' head just to slay them down with your sword ? Doesn't that amount to fooling people into thinking they're Legolas (remember the Cave-troll sequence in Khazad-dum ?).
i thought that too, also because there are no other people in the world.
but after a short time it becomes really nice. and the giants are really giant, on some the trolls from lotr doesn't reach the ankle - and you're climbing up and down on them while they moving through a valley...
some sequences are really awesome

Quote:
The beta seems to be doing a remarkable job @accurately emulating the PS2 . Downside of that : it may be wiser to forget about it if your computer is subpar.
second that. while some games goes nice on 2x3ghz, i would say that most of the games with some more 3d gfx effects are painfull for the eyes.
AdSense AdSense