English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 June 2010, 00:13   #1
ppill
CON: artist

Send a message via Skype™ to ppill
compactflash.device and mountlists

OK here's the run down...

Let's say I have a 128MB CF card and want to create an FFS partition on it that uses all the space with a blocksize of 1024 bytes just to speed things up a bit.

What parameters (compactflash.device together with FastFileSystem) are mandatory and which ones are ignored in the mountlist?

How many cylinders are used for the RDB? 2? Do I take those into account?

Would something like this work?

Code:
Device = compactflash.device
Unit = 0
Flags = 0
FileSystem = L:FastFileSystem
Surfaces = 1
BlockSize = 1024
SectorsPerBlock = 1
BlocksPerTrack = 1
Reserved = 0
Interleave = 0
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 128
Buffers = 30
BufMemType = 0
MaxTransfer = 0x00ffffff
Mask = 0xfffffffe
DosType = 0x444f5305
GlobVec = -1
StackSize = 4096
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 June 2010, 02:31   #2
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
OK here's the run down...

Let's say I have a 128MB CF card and want to create an FFS partition on it that uses all the space with a blocksize of 1024 bytes just to speed things up a bit.

What parameters (compactflash.device together with FastFileSystem) are mandatory and which ones are ignored in the mountlist?

How many cylinders are used for the RDB? 2? Do I take those into account?

Would something like this work?

Code:
Device = compactflash.device
Unit = 0
Flags = 0
FileSystem = L:FastFileSystem
Surfaces = 1
BlockSize = 1024
SectorsPerBlock = 1
BlocksPerTrack = 1
Reserved = 0
Interleave = 0
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 128
Buffers = 30
BufMemType = 0
MaxTransfer = 0x00ffffff
Mask = 0xfffffffe
DosType = 0x444f5305
GlobVec = -1
StackSize = 4096
There should be a CYLINDERS entry inside HDTOOLBOX, use what it says for the LowCyl, HighCyl, Blockspertrack etc...

From what I know, there are NO use for Cylinders.., as CF dont use them.

Well, 0x444F5305 is FFS International with Directory Cache, I would recommend 0x444F5303 to start with, other than that, it looks fine.

My problem at the moment, is I have a CF card from my A4000 (So i know its formatted properly), but the A1200, on Workbench says "CF0:Uninitialized", yet HDtoolbox recognizes the CF card on Compactflash.device and even shows the CORRECT partitions on the card.
Old 03 June 2010, 07:57   #3
ppill
CON: artist

Send a message via Skype™ to ppill
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
There should be a CYLINDERS entry inside HDTOOLBOX, use what it says for the LowCyl, HighCyl, Blockspertrack etc...

From what I know, there are NO use for Cylinders.., as CF dont use them.

Well, 0x444F5305 is FFS International with Directory Cache, I would recommend 0x444F5303 to start with, other than that, it looks fine.

My problem at the moment, is I have a CF card from my A4000 (So i know its formatted properly), but the A1200, on Workbench says "CF0:Uninitialized", yet HDtoolbox recognizes the CF card on Compactflash.device and even shows the CORRECT partitions on the card.
I'll nave access to my A1200 today and try to finally figure this one out. I've successfuly used PCMCIA adapters to mount FFS/SFS partitions (even booting from them using a special floppy) but sometimes it seems like hit and miss.

Cylinders are ignored when using compactflash.device with fat95. Amiga filesystems require them to work (AFAIK).
Old 03 June 2010, 10:20   #4
squidbass

I'm just about to try something similar with my A4000. I have a CF card hanging off my Xsurf. I've had some success in getting the CF to appear on the desktop but as soon as try and write to it, it becomes corrupt. The answer may be in the mountlist config re. the RDB...I'll give it another go later and see if I can get any further.
Old 03 June 2010, 12:37   #5
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbass View Post
I'm just about to try something similar with my A4000. I have a CF card hanging off my Xsurf. I've had some success in getting the CF to appear on the desktop but as soon as try and write to it, it becomes corrupt. The answer may be in the mountlist config re. the RDB...I'll give it another go later and see if I can get any further.
Corruption during transfer is an Incorrect MAXTRANSFER, where it *NEEDS* to be 0x0001FE00 (or so I read).
AdSense AdSense