English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 May 2010, 23:27   #1
jotd
Cat freak

Amiga spirit on the Nintendo DS

Hi,

I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed that you can have a lot of oldies on your DS, and lots of Amiga games are playable, even if UAE would be too tricky to port on the DS (because of controls, mostly, and CPU). James Pond 2, ...

First, there are a lot of nice retro games (Namco Museum, Midway Arcade Classics...). Nothing to do with the Miggy but still, old and genuine stuff

Second, you can buy secondhand GBA cartridges. I bought myself Speedball 2, Klax, and Marble Madness. All excellent ports.

Third, there are a lot of homebrew ports of Amiga games: Rick Dangerous, Lemmings, Magic Pockets & Cadaver (both in work, by me ) ...

Last but not least, you can use a Sega Genesis emulator like jEnesis. It's super fast (I could not believe it) and look at the Amiga games with a Sega Genesis port:

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_conversion=8

I could test a few ones (some don't boot with the emu):

Gods: runs perfect (although the game is too fast, like in the SNES)
Chaos Engine/Soldiers of Fortune: game runs fine, problems with scrolling.
Klax: OK
Chuck Rock: perfect (except for the dinosaur that no longer drops his load, I guess this was not consolly-correct)
Chuck Rock 2: perfect
Leander/Legend Of Galahad: perfect
Xenon 2: OK
Aladdin: perfect
Turrican: perfect
Mega SWIV: perfect
Lotus / Lotus 2: fine
Battle Squadron: perfect!!!
James Pond: perfect

bad news: Zool, Cannon Fodder, Desert Strike, Gauntlet, Killing Game Show, Mortal Kombat won't work. Well, maybe later

Ok, hoping not to be too off-topic. Bye
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 May 2010, 00:29   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

I've had Desert Strike working iirc, have you tried the snes emulator?
Old 27 May 2010, 00:37   #3
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Magic Pockets & Cadaver (both in work, by me )
You are my hero. To play Cadaver on my DS will be amazing.
Old 27 May 2010, 01:25   #4
Akira

jEnesis is horrible. Which version do you have? Mine decides to go to PAUSE mode on its own for no apparent reason. Also, it cuts the screen, which I don't really like, because teh scaling methods it has are awful. Maybe I have an old version.

As for GBA games, you should get a cheap GBA flashcart (I got one for 9 dollars on Dealextreme) that you can even flash with the DS itself, it's perfect! I also dumped my GBA games to files using the DS. No need for retarded readers, USB drivers or anything!

While on a GBA spree, get the Pinball collection, which has Fantasies and Dreams. it's not pixel perfect but it's pretty good nonetheless.

And if you have a PSP, GBA emulation is pretty good and you can enjoy the same games
Old 27 May 2010, 01:46   #5
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
There is a GBA version of Desert Strike.

Don't forget to check Dreamkatcha's Monster list of Amiga game remakes/tributes/clones for GBA/DS entries.

As you can see in the thread I have suggested some homebrews for the list, if you know other Amiga-inspired ones not yet in the list, please mention them.

Speaking of which, Alekmaul has written, among other things, an emulator for the arcade version of Klax, so why bother with the MegaDrive version (never tried the GBA version so I can't give a comparison).
Old 27 May 2010, 10:29   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
James Pond: perfect
The DS port? Technically it works okay, but I found the game itself a load of dung really, compared to the Amiga version :/ It just doesn't play right and the levels are too boring. And where did the penguins go!?
Old 27 May 2010, 23:11   #7
jotd
Cat freak

jenesis 0.74 is cool, except for the horizonal scroll. I also have 0.7 which sometimes runs games that 0.74 does not (Soldiers of Fortune!!)

I just played Lotus Esprit (which is the Amiga Lotus II) and apart from the sound which is dull, the gfx are OK and the game is fast.

Thanks for the Klax link. I'll test that. This akemaul guy is amazing.
Thanks for the remakes list. It's a bit old (2006).

Thanks for all the info!
Old 27 May 2010, 23:28   #8
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Thanks for the Klax link. I'll test that. This akemaul guy is amazing.
Thanks for the remakes list. It's a bit old (2006).
Kukulcan has done some very good work too:
http://kukulcan.palib.info/index.php...=NINTENDO%20DS

There is a very nice French-speaking homebrew DS community (the guys who did Still Alive DS for instance). Be sure, if you have not yet done it, to register on the dev-fr and palib forums in case you need help/testers/etc.. for your projects.

Dreamkatcha updates his list regularly based on suggestions he receives from several sources (the EAB thread but direct messages on his blog too). But of course, if you have additional entries to suggest, please do.
Old 28 May 2010, 01:34   #9
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

and woopsi is rather Amiga-esque! http://sourceforge.net/project/scree...50&ssid=121223
Old 26 August 2010, 11:30   #10
stefcep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
jEnesis is horrible. Which version do you have? Mine decides to go to PAUSE mode on its own for no apparent reason. Also, it cuts the screen, which I don't really like, because teh scaling methods it has are awful. Maybe I have an old version.

As for GBA games, you should get a cheap GBA flashcart (I got one for 9 dollars on Dealextreme) that you can even flash with the DS itself, it's perfect! I also dumped my GBA games to files using the DS. No need for retarded readers, USB drivers or anything!
Which flash cart?
AdSense AdSense