English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 May 2010, 23:30   #41
john4p
Local Moderator

Well, here's a video of UAE4All on the Nokia N900 (same CPU as the Pandora) with sound (bad picture quality of the vid though):

[ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 May 2010, 00:37   #42
seuden
uber cool demi god

That looks cool john4p but tbh I wouldn't want to carry around a controller with me when the PSP has a very very imo adequate control system already in place with PSPUAE. Don't get me wrong it's nice for those with the nokia already tho.
Old 27 May 2010, 10:04   #43
john4p
Local Moderator

That was just to show how Amiga-emulation with sound runs on a device with the same CPU as the Pandora's (it has the same CPU as the Nokia N900). The Pandora has gaming controls (+keyboard).
Old 27 May 2010, 10:13   #44
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
That was just to show how Amiga-emulation with sound runs on a device with the same CPU as the Pandora's (it has the same CPU as the Nokia N900). The Pandora has gaming controls (+keyboard).
Yeah the Pandora does look a pretty awesome machine I have to admit, I have no doubt it will be able to run an A500 emulator at full speed with sound but as I've stated before someone with good coding skills with some time will be required.
Old 27 May 2010, 11:05   #45
john4p
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Yeah the Pandora does look a pretty awesome machine I have to admit, I have no doubt it will be able to run an A500 emulator at full speed with sound but as I've stated before someone with good coding skills with some time will be required.
Or you just compile smoku's port of UAE4All for the N900 (recently added savestate-support): http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50040
Only needed modifications should be a remapping of the buttons.

Also FOL's PSPUAE should rock on the Pandora.
Old 27 May 2010, 11:10   #46
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hehe, I'd rather FOL's PSPUAE rock on my PSP

Which it does btw
Old 27 May 2010, 11:23   #47
john4p
Local Moderator

Yeah, it has a lot of great features, especially savestates and, most importantly: its awesome autozoom which uses the full height of the PSP's screen (while keeping correct aspect ratio).

This must be added to the Pandora's Amiga emulator(s).
Old 27 May 2010, 11:24   #48
seuden
uber cool demi god

Btw, for all you Championship Manager '93 fans and I know there's a lot of you, it works great on PSPUAE.
Old 27 May 2010, 12:31   #49
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Yeah, it has a lot of great features, especially savestates and, most importantly: its awesome autozoom which uses the full height of the PSP's screen (while keeping correct aspect ratio).

This must be added to the Pandora's Amiga emulator(s).
There are some very awesome features in PSPUAE, bet noone uses the save mouse states? this cool feature by thinkp, lets you assign mouse position to buttons, saves you moving the mouse and clicking. Works great for dungeon crawlers.
Old 27 May 2010, 12:36   #50
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
There are some very awesome features in PSPUAE, bet noone uses the save mouse states? this cool feature by thinkp, lets you assign mouse position to buttons, saves you moving the mouse and clicking. Works great for dungeon crawlers.
That would work well for Championship Manager, cool. I'll be checking that out later
Old 27 May 2010, 13:39   #51
john4p
Local Moderator

^ Didn't know about that feature - now that's a creative (and useful) idea.
Old 27 May 2010, 15:44   #52
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
^ Didn't know about that feature - now that's a creative (and useful) idea.
Hold both triggers and Tiangle or square.

Its in the readme, Im sure I even described how to use it.
Old 07 June 2010, 10:16   #53
ImmortalA1000

I remember back in the day doing a lot of tests with WinUAE on various laptops when I was an engineer for the Laptop Shop UK.

Anyway the upshot was the slowest notebook I could get to run OCS/ECS stuff with full sound without a glitch was about 600-650mhz Pentium III mobile.

The PSP has a max speed of 333mhz, this is half the speed and the CPU may be less efficient than a P3 for general code execution, not sure.

However the PSP Go! apparently has a 480mhz capable CPU, this is a huge increase over the regular PSP and no doubt newer PSPs will use this newer more overclockable CPU too.

But if you really want a super portable machine for using with UAE just source yourself a lovely Centrino based Toshiba Libretto. With a 1ghz CPU and a form factor the size of a DVD case you can't really complain about portability.
Old 07 June 2010, 10:23   #54
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Why are the people in this thread so afraid of the Pandora?

I love the way they offer alternatives that dont even come close in regards to something this small, this powerful with proper gaming controls built it.

There is no alternative, a psp isnt fast enough and a netbook is too big and doesnt have gaming controls built in.
Old 07 June 2010, 15:33   #55
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Why are the people in this thread so afraid of the Pandora?

I love the way they offer alternatives that dont even come close in regards to something this small, this powerful with proper gaming controls built it.

There is no alternative, a psp isnt fast enough and a netbook is too big and doesnt have gaming controls built in.
Not afraid of pandora at all.

Granted it may give very fast emulation, but thats not the point in question.

I think you have looked the thread wrongly. A video was posted of it running Amiga fullspeed with music playing over it, so people would naturally assume it has sound disabled. Obviously this is not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
However the PSP Go! apparently has a 480mhz capable CPU, this is a huge increase over the regular PSP and no doubt newer PSPs will use this newer more overclockable CPU too.
You sure, cause I have never heard this and I damn sure they would have been post it every where.
EDIT:- They made a mistake, SONY were reffering to the USB speed.
Old 07 June 2010, 16:20   #56
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I think you have looked the thread wrongly. A video was posted of it running Amiga fullspeed with music playing over it, so people would naturally assume it has sound disabled. Obviously this is not the case.
That was a mistake from EvilDragon the pandora dev. But if thats all people want to see then fine. I choose to look at the other videos where its running faster and smoother and sounds better than PSPUAE or UAE4ALL ever did.

Also the netbook thing... Its not a netbook, its the size of a DS phat which is a lot smaller than a DVD case.
Old 07 June 2010, 17:12   #57
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
That was a mistake from EvilDragon the pandora dev. But if thats all people want to see then fine. I choose to look at the other videos where its running faster and smoother and sounds better than PSPUAE or UAE4ALL ever did.

Also the netbook thing... Its not a netbook, its the size of a DS phat which is a lot smaller than a DVD case.
Hmmmm,

I can see your annoyed. Calm head, your going way over board.
Old 07 June 2010, 17:15   #58
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I'm calm and don't even have mine yet, it's a shame you see it as such a threat and feel the need to troll.

edit: Oh quick edit FOL, to sound less like a troll?

For those that missed it a quick trolling attempt from FOL regarding the fact that my pandora hasn't been delivered yet was deleted.
Old 07 June 2010, 17:18   #59
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I'm calm and don't even have mine yet, it's a shame you see it as such a threat and feel the need to troll.
Im not trolling.

You obviously dont know me, or you would'nt have said that.
Old 07 June 2010, 17:51   #60
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

So what would you call it? Having a go? You keep harping on about the video that was full speed with no sound from September 2008. There have been newer videos since then that demonstrate very respectable speed with great sound. Yet you chose not to comment on those. You have expressed that you cannot buy one even if you wanted one... hmmm have you actually contacted OpenPandora to try? Because I was hearing from people even up till a couple of weeks ago that were able to secure an order. Developers such as yourself have even been able to get freebies and dev versions by letting the team know what they can bring to the table.

The point I was trying to make is this: The pandora isn't a PSP and it isn't a netbook, if people cant see the difference that's up to them. The pandora is the closest thing thing (in my opinion) to a portable amiga that fits in your pocket with all the proper controls and a physical keyboard. If others dont agree then fine.

This thread is for speculating the pandora's ability to achieve what the PSP hasn't so far. A proper portable amiga emulator.

Its shipping to customers at the moment, around 500 have gone out. Customers who understand the situation and still entrust the OP team with their money. I am somewhere in the 700-800 range and I am looking forward to my portable amiga.
AdSense AdSense