English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 May 2010, 19:28   #1
mattbarton.exe

X-Com, Rebelstar, Laser Squad

Hi, Amigans! I just posted a new episode about X-Com. Fascinating game with more depth than the Marianas Trench. I also show some earlier classics from Gollop: Rebelstar and Laser Squad (C-64 & Amiga versions).

[ Show youtube player ]

Enjoy!

One fellow pointed out that he felt the Amiga conversion of Laser Squad wasn't as good as it should have been. To be honest, I never encountered that game back in the day, but I remember a lot of Amiga strategy games were lacking that department. As fun as Empire and Warlords were, for instance, they in no way maxed out the Amiga's graphical power. It did have me wondering which Amiga strategy games DID take full advantage. I certainly would put Settlers in that category, though I'm sure there must be many more.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 May 2010, 19:41   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

All I remember about the Amiga version was it had some of the best game music I'd ever heard.

Mark Vera's remix of Matt Furniss' original really captures the spirit of original.

http://www.amigaremix.com/remixes/search/153

Last edited by alexh; 03 May 2010 at 19:48.
Old 03 May 2010, 19:59   #3
mattbarton.exe

Whoa, loving that remix, Alexh. I'm flabbergasted--first time I've see this Amigaremix site. Uh oh. Gonna be busy for awhile.
Old 03 May 2010, 20:42   #4
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I also show some earlier classics from Gollop: Rebelstar and Laser Squad (C-64 & Amiga versions).
Heresy! Everyone knows that the TRUE original versions of Gollop's 8-bit games were for the Speccy! (See e.g. his bio on his site here). That'd be like starting a retrospective of the Alien Breed series with a look back at the DOS port of Alien Breed 1.

Still, I guess you have an excuse as an American for not understanding the true wonders of Clive Sinclair's wonder machine.
Old 03 May 2010, 21:47   #5
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
It did have me wondering which Amiga strategy games DID take full advantage. I certainly would put Settlers in that category, though I'm sure there must be many more.
Realms was quite amazing for its time. Great graphics and dense atmosphere. It features real time combat in a fantasy scenario, and probably never got the attention it deserved.
Old 04 May 2010, 00:43   #6
mattbarton.exe

I showed the Speccy version of Rebelstar and mentioned that Laser Squad was ported to the C64 and Amiga. Guess I can excuse you for not watching the video before criticizing!
Old 04 May 2010, 00:55   #7
mattbarton.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Realms was quite amazing for its time. Great graphics and dense atmosphere. It features real time combat in a fantasy scenario, and probably never got the attention it deserved.
Indeed, I've seen it mentioned a few times but haven't played it. I did a bit of research on it and it does indeed appear to be a very early and innovative RTS. I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often. I did find a review where someone named Peter Sly was praising the game but criticizing the interface; ten clicks to levy taxes, which you must do often.
Old 04 May 2010, 01:02   #8
Locash

Nice vid, X-Com was certainly almost the peak of the turn based squad games. I loved the base building and research aspects.

However for me, Jagged Allience beat it in the end. Not sure why, perhaps its lack of base building etc that gave it more of a focus on pure squad stratagy. Plus there was more story and character involvement which was distinctly lacking in X-COM.

Suprised Space Crusade and Sabre Team didnt get a mention though, two games which really pushed the genre on the Amiga.

Last edited by Locash; 04 May 2010 at 01:11.
Old 04 May 2010, 01:13   #9
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
As fun as Empire and Warlords were, for instance, they in no way maxed out the Amiga's graphical power. It did have me wondering which Amiga strategy games DID take full advantage.
How about [ Show youtube player ] ? I think it's pretty impressive for a A500.
Old 04 May 2010, 05:46   #10
antonvaltaz

Quote:
I showed the Speccy version of Rebelstar and mentioned that Laser Squad was ported to the C64 and Amiga. Guess I can excuse you for not watching the video before criticizing!
Haha, fair enough!

Wasn't meant as a real criticism though, your videos are awesome - and I look forward to watching this one!

EDIT: And having watched it, congratulations once again - I had this game free on an Amiga Format cover CD right near the end of my original Amiga-using period, and absolutely loved it. Might try to dig it out and play it again sometime.

PS Although you did pronounce 'ZX' wrong

Last edited by antonvaltaz; 04 May 2010 at 07:55.
Old 04 May 2010, 11:50   #11
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Indeed, I've seen it mentioned a few times but haven't played it. I did a bit of research on it and it does indeed appear to be a very early and innovative RTS. I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often. I did find a review where someone named Peter Sly was praising the game but criticizing the interface; ten clicks to levy taxes, which you must do often.

I thought it was impressive and promising, but I failed to really get deeply into the game. I wrote a review on the AGDB, there's another one there, and there's also a Celebrity review by Realms author Steve Turner of Gunship, he drops in some interesting Realms trivia at the end of his review.
Old 04 May 2010, 22:07   #12
mattbarton.exe

Dune 2 is definitely a classic. We dedicated a chapter to it our book Vintage Games and noted it was the predecessor to Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, and so on. I should dedicate an episode to it for sure. I haven't had much luck getting in touch with any of the old Westwood guys. I should try harder, because I'd love to talk to them.

That reminds me, I need to buzz Jane Jensen again.
Old 05 May 2010, 16:41   #13
laffer
Zone Friend

Jane Jensen, that would be awesome!

Maybe you could ask her why Sierra didn't bother to include subtitles as an option for their FMV games, including her Gabriel Knight 2?

GK2 already has subtitles in there for everything but the FMVs (granted, a lot of the game consists of FMVs)... but still, I think it's odd how they'd leave out subtitles.
AdSense AdSense