English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02 May 2010, 22:17   #21
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
ChrisH is having some real successes with full UAE integration into os4x.
His app RuninUAE is looking superb.
DDNI is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 May 2010, 22:33   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,941
Look at the date of the UAE core he's using!!
alexh is offline  
Old 03 May 2010, 09:48   #23
NovaCoder
Registered User
NovaCoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Posts: 3,444
Congrats to AmigaKit (although it was kind of obvious that this would happen).

As to the blurb about classic emulation, it's pretty obvious that OS4.x has a long way to go to seamlessly integrate classic apps (eg like the way Windows95 managed it). But if they can get enough OS4 users (and developers) on board.....who knows what they can come up with
NovaCoder is offline  
Old 03 May 2010, 10:53   #24
amiga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amiga_land
Posts: 444
Unfortunately there will be people who will buy this thing, thus feeding this sad exploitation of the amiga brand name.
amiga is offline  
Old 03 May 2010, 15:02   #25
Smiley
Amiga-less!
Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Congrats. Just a shame it is going to be overpriced & underpowered.
You can always count on Alexh to brighten up a party
Smiley is offline  
Old 03 May 2010, 21:17   #26
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
ChrisH is having some real successes with full UAE integration into os4x.
His app RuninUAE is looking superb.
I am using glUAE by saimo and it works great under OS4.1 ! I'm playing a good majority of my favourite OCS/ECS games and AGA games with no hassle at all
I'm sure if it's working fine on my Samflex@800 then it will be even better on the new X1000
klx300r is offline  
Old 03 May 2010, 22:18   #27
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
I am using glUAE by saimo and it works great under OS4.1 ! I'm playing a good majority of my favourite OCS/ECS games and AGA games with no hassle at all
I'm sure if it's working fine on my Samflex@800 then it will be even better on the new X1000
Yes glUAE is a similar and highly recommended alternative to RuninUAE...

@Smiley, alexh deffo brings the tears to the party lol
DDNI is offline  
Old 03 May 2010, 23:21   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,941
Not me that made it potentially overpriced and probably underpowered.
alexh is offline  
Old 04 May 2010, 01:12   #29
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Yes glUAE is a similar and highly recommended alternative to RuninUAE...
I find RunInUAE to be great with ECS/OCS games but not that good with some AGA games hence why I use glUAE...still it's absolutley great that OS4.1 users have a choice on running their 68k games and apps
klx300r is offline  
Old 04 May 2010, 06:39   #30
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 2,443
I have zero interest in the new machine buts it nice that its happening and that Amigakit will be the primary distributor
blade002 is offline  
Old 04 May 2010, 07:33   #31
NovaCoder
Registered User
NovaCoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Posts: 3,444
Personally I'm adopting the good old 'wait-and-see' approach. If this new 'chapter' is successful enough and I like the way things are heading then I may jump on board (funds allowing of course).

As much as I love my 1200, you can't hold on to the old hardware forever.
NovaCoder is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 00:31   #32
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Personally I'm adopting the good old 'wait-and-see' approach. If this new 'chapter' is successful enough and I like the way things are heading then I may jump on board (funds allowing of course).

As much as I love my 1200, you can't hold on to the old hardware forever.
I echo this sentiment. However I might jump slightly earlier...
What may delay things slightly, is that I just had my BPPC upgraded to a 330mhz 603e by Stachu100. This will certainly feed my hackery tweakery habit for a wee while yet
DDNI is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 02:08   #33
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,301
Awesome, I can't wait to pay top money for hardware that was retired years ago!
Akira is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 04:02   #34
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Awesome, I can't wait to pay top money for hardware that was retired years ago!
retired?? you must be thinking of the windows world there because this is the fastest hardware to date that will run AmigaOS4.x and above

if you don't want to run AmigaOS then your point may be valid because there are more powerful computers around obviously
klx300r is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 10:52   #35
DonAmiga
Registered User

DonAmiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 518
Is this the pre-order list?
DonAmiga is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 11:24   #36
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, Made in Norway
Age: 45
Posts: 827
the GFX-card came into the world about 2 years ago.... so did the nVidia 240 series..... which is stilll considered "more than adequate" for todays' games.

2 GB RAM is good..... however, as we all know, the Amiga A500 was able todo things with 1MB that required a PC of FAR higher requirements todo adequately. Pinball Dreams? ran on a bog standard 512kB A500..... and VERY playable. It took the PC a 486DX33 to reach the same playability level. without sound.

My only concern is whether or not the CPU is "good enough" by todays standards. However, the A1200 with 4MB FAST could do things that a 486DX2-50 was still struggling with.... even FPS-games of the Doom-style was possible. However, this was one area where the PC was considered "better" because of the chunky pixel gfx it "always" had, which had to be translated to planar format for the Amigas.

But still.... We could do far more with a underpowered Amiga in 1992, than anyone could with a PC.
Doc Mindie is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 11:41   #37
seuden
uber cool demi god

seuden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent/England
Posts: 1,905
Congratulations AmigaKit.

I won't be buying one tho as my cheaper more powerful pc does everything I need it to including playing classic Amiga games via emulation. I do hope everyone that does get one enjoys them tho.
seuden is offline  
Old 05 May 2010, 19:56   #38
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Personally I'm adopting the good old 'wait-and-see' approach. If this new 'chapter' is successful enough and I like the way things are heading then I may jump on board (funds allowing of course).

As much as I love my 1200, you can't hold on to the old hardware forever.
ahh c'mon Nova sure you can hold on and enjoy your classic gear (see my sig!) but you can also support a modern Amiga and enjoy modern browsing & gaming, office apps etc. and even play some classic games on a AmigaOS4.x machine
hell I actually got rid of alot of extra classic stuff I had to buy my Samflex and am very happy i did that too BUT I'll never get rid of my original 64, A500 and A1200 ..man I'd rather sell the shirt off my back before I sold my classic babies
klx300r is offline  
Old 06 May 2010, 00:51   #39
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
retired?? you must be thinking of the windows world there because this is the fastest hardware to date that will run AmigaOS4.x and above
I talk about nowadays technology standards. Going this way makes absolutely no sense, I think if people are SO interested in running AmigaOS (why, beats me, but to each one its own), there should be more support to projects like Icaros or any other that tries to port it to x86 instead of building ridiculous hardware that, compared with today's standards, is laughable.
Akira is offline  
Old 06 May 2010, 12:45   #40
Slayer
Amiga Member
Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Zealand
Age: 50
Posts: 695
WTG guys!

Do me a favour and make it as expensive as you can...

And lets get those cpu upgrades out shortly after... got to have a reason to get another X1000... lol

New Forum boards will follow and won't that be more magic... heh
Slayer is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Publisher vs. Distributor cebulba HOL data problems 8 26 August 2009 13:59
Only finds Primary Display Driver in 1.6.0 Photon support.WinUAE 13 17 June 2009 15:58
4xEIDE Buffered Interface - Primary Port 2.5" not working? StevenJGore support.Hardware 3 18 June 2008 17:09
C64 Games that need to be named enigma Retrogaming General Discussion 4 23 April 2002 15:20

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.24694 seconds with 11 queries