English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 June 2002, 19:34   #1
Going nowhere

VCD / PC requirements

I know this isn't Amiga related, but its obvious that a lot of you are more au fait with PC requirements for software than I am.

I have basically bought a very cheap Texas Instruments EXTENSA Laptop, 4xcd, hd floppy, 1gighd, Cirrus Logic GFX, ESS 688 Sound, Win 98 installed, about 64 mb, 75mhz Pentium, blah, blah, blah.

Now, it will play VCD files, and will play the sound absolutely perfectly, it will display the graphics in the files perfectly, but it wont play the gfx at anywhere near the correct speed so I need to know some things:

Is a 75Mhz Pentium simply not good enough to run VCD movies?

Is there anyway of improving various drivers and things to attempt to make it quicker?

Is there any piece of software that makes Roxio, Media Player etc, look shit and will do a better job?

Your answers are appreciated.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 June 2002, 20:55   #2
It depends which software you use for viewing VCDs. MediaPlayer is usually slower, I prefer using software like PowerDVD.

I'd say 75Mhz is really a bit slow but I'm sure there is also a VCD-Viewer for DOS. You could then shut down windows to the dos-shell and view from there.

I don't know where to find a dos viewer but you can take a look at http://www.vcdhelp.com.
Old 28 June 2002, 03:13   #3
Take a look at this site for everything from DivX to VCD. They are the most informative group I have found with downloads of media players (and all kinds of tools) that work in dos and windows.

They also have a forum like this one that I'm sure will answer your questions. Good Luck!

AdSense AdSense