English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 June 2002, 18:17   #21
Going nowhere

Piracy - The Fairlight Version

Piracy is good and bad

Ok, the piracy rule for Amiga is pretty much the same as it is for any other machine.

Piracy for a new machine is vital! The more people that have a pirated copy, the more its gonna get seen, hence why Shadow of the Beast helped to sell so many machines. Shadow of the Beast was basically the best advert the Amiga was ever gonna get, if the protection on it was so hard and stopped it spreading so rapidly, less people would see it, less people would want an Amiga at christmas.

The key to piracy is new users. Software companies figured (correctly) that most people when they buy a machine, will more than likely buy a couple of games to go with it, or your family will buy you some on birthdays etc.

As long as new machines are being sold, then games will be sold, when that stops, or doubts about the machines future come into play and sales of machines start dwindling, then games sales start dwindling.

1993 was the Amiga's last 'BIG' year, all software companies were rushing the last of their big titles out, with a few of them releasing at the start of 1994, simply because they would lose more money by not releasing them. They probably didn't make any money, but they lost a little less.

And this is where piracy is bad, because the machines are not being sold, therefore less are buying games, and most people are copying.

The fact that the Amiga isn't quite up to the technological feats of the PS2 or Xbox is neither here nor there. I had a conversation with someone who worked for Gremlin, and their opinion was that they didn't care if the Amiga wasn't quite so hot technically, as long as they made a decent profit, they would continue to produce for it....... alas, they started losing money on Amiga, and rapidly pulled out soon after Premier Manager 3 Deluxe.

So theres a whole host of reasons for the Amiga's demise, one of them is piracy, one of them is it's lesser friendly development approach (Asm as opposed to C), Commodore (Irving Gould and Medhi Ali)........

Piracy is good in the right measures, and if Commodore didn't decide to self implode and as long as the future technology they were developing was going to be any good, then Psygnosis, Team 17, Gremlin, Renegade etc, etc, would still have been producing games for a few years longer.

To blame the Amiga's demise solely on piracy is not only short sighted and naive, its blatantly untrue (as untrue as the 'if you use pirate copies you will get viruses!'), yes it played its part, but in the end there were a lot of reasons that culminated in its eventual out-of-favour with the software houses.

The Gameboy Advance proves that flashy 3D graphics are not the be all and end all of games, the Gameboy Advance is doing now what the Amiga did so well nearly fifteen years ago.........
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 June 2002, 01:29   #22
And if I could find the right games and an excuse to use that much money on it I would get a gba for the games. Until now I've only seen somewhat crappy gba games around here. Monsters inc I think, some racing game. Nothing really interesting.
Old 30 June 2002, 04:47   #23

You have been looking at the wrong place then, Drake. First off, try not to look at the us/eur made games. Most of them are CRAP. As always, the top-scorers are games created in japan.

Check out Warioland 4, F-Zero Advance, Sonic Advance (aye, this is a good non-jp-developed one) , Castlevania CotM... I dont know which kind of games you like, but at least these are good.

And if you like SNES shovelware, tehre is a fab version of Super Mario World for it.
Old 30 June 2002, 05:17   #24

I also recommend WInning Eleven for GBA.. I've been playing this one for quite a while now in an emulator, it just rocks. Great soccer game, as good as it's PSX cousin
Old 01 July 2002, 13:21   #25
Piracy... well well. When I was using my amiga as my only computer pirated games were vey common. Atleast here in sweden we had several big suppliers of such games. I saw no bad in getting games this way.

And as I saw someone else wrote here before me, I also spended money on "real" games in stores. But I only bought games that were worth the money, games like Civ, Pirates and so on.
Old 01 July 2002, 14:30   #26
Tim Janssen

Unhappy Amiga piracy: easy-to-get games

As has been said before in this thread, thanks to piracy more computers/consoles will be sold in the short term, but in the end it kills the number of software-releases for a machine. This is exactly what has happened to the Amiga.

I have to admit that I - and many people with me are partly guilty in killing the Amiga by using pirated copies of programs.
When I was 13, I was thinking what computer to buy: an Amiga or a Snes? My choice was easy: Why forking out 50 Euro for a single Snes-title when I could get multiple Amiga games for free from my friends? Pirated Amiga games were THE incentive for me (and almost everyone else in The Netherlands) to buy an Amiga. Thanks to numerous copy-parties I always got the latest games before it was even reviewed in magazines. In an interview in Amiga Joker Factor 5 (of Turrican-fame) stated software-publishers simply could not make any profit as any single sold game generated 20 pirated copies.
Piracy but also numerous other factors like the demise of Commodore and the upcoming 3D-gaming era led to a shrinking Amiga software market in 1993/1994.
Old 01 July 2002, 20:53   #27

Send a message via MSN to Djay
The Amiga and Dreamcast don't need mods to run cracked games, the playstation does, and i think to begin with that put alot of people of the idea!!

Piracy has its good and bad points, the only people that lose out are probably the actual creative people who develope the games, the publishers, producers and hardware manufacters still make the money.

Basically, if you can create it, you can copy it, every market has clone/copied versions of the original, but with the internet, software is the most easiest to get hold off, we aren't really coping a physical object, which is why software piracy is so widespread.

I would like to be able to stand on a moral high ground, but i can't LOL!!!!
AdSense AdSense