English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 April 2010, 02:02   #1
Philophus

Ebay prices

I've been watching Ebay lately and the last 3 060 1200 accelerators have gone for over 300 each.

Is it because Amibays price driving controls are actualy making stuff rarer on Ebay and pushing Ebay prices up?

I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions on this but it's no way slating Amibay in anyway, just an open discission.

I just feel that regardless of Amibays intentions of providing a safe place to trade (which they do), people will eventualy raise their prices to reflect the value of hardware that sells on Ebay and the more that sells on Amibay the rarer it gets on Ebay.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 April 2010, 02:35   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@philophus

I do think that in a small way AmiBay may be having an impact on eBay.co.uk, I dont think in germany/us or other places.. .... yet....

Indeed, people will always want a high price for their goods, however the simple basic truth is..

an item is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it, and what some one is willing to sell it for...

when these two meet you have an instance of sale.

This instance may effect other instances, as you suggest people will adjust their prices accordingly, as such over the last year I have seen 030's sold from 80 average to 120 average.

quite a leap in less than 2 years methinks. but this is communities market...

At the moment, accelerator hardware seems to command a premuim, even moto CPU's have jumped up from a base of 20 for a full core, to near 40 for the same thing.

although that could be in part due to the gold market....
Old 18 April 2010, 02:41   #3
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I usually find items a bit cheaper on Amibay compared to most of the "buy it now" prices on ebay. Also if anyone starts asking ridiculous prices on Amibay then i'm sure people will say something (not in a bad way ).
Old 18 April 2010, 02:49   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@PowerPie5000

theres a strict policy on AmiBay that one is not allowed to comment in the sale thread on the price.

this is price driving, at the end of the day, there should be no need for a member to justify what price they put up, should that people not like it or think it to high, they can ignore the thread or post an interest and haggle in PM.

its really weird

In the begining when members asked for help in evalutations, we really wanted to help, but strangely enough you will do more harm than good.

1. people have different ideas on what an item is worth, so it can start arguments
2. different coutries have different saturation levels of hardware... where in chille an A2000 might be rare and expensive, in Germany there pretty much taking up space and not worth as much.

So even if you REALLY REALLY want to help, by doing so you will be doing more harm.

its kinda like the "prime directive of non-interference" lol
Old 18 April 2010, 02:56   #5
Philophus

Agreed Zetro, the gold reclamation fad is pushing old CPU prices way beyond their actual usable value.

I agree totaly with the principals of Amibay and what their intentions are, and must say that the most reputable sellers are going to head there.
Those who are going to push top prices for top hardware are not though as they know damn well there's more money to be had on Ebay.
Maybe Amibay should relax their controls and a nice medium on prices can surface as the way things are going, decent hardware will be unreachable for people with a reasonable buget...again.
Old 18 April 2010, 11:28   #6
athiga
aka bigfoot catnap

im shure the high ebay prices push up values on amibay also
Old 18 April 2010, 12:43   #7
Philophus

Definately Athiga.
Old 18 April 2010, 19:34   #8
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@PowerPie5000

theres a strict policy on AmiBay that one is not allowed to comment in the sale thread on the price.

this is price driving, at the end of the day, there should be no need for a member to justify what price they put up, should that people not like it or think it to high, they can ignore the thread or post an interest and haggle in PM.

its really weird

In the begining when members asked for help in evalutations, we really wanted to help, but strangely enough you will do more harm than good.

1. people have different ideas on what an item is worth, so it can start arguments
2. different coutries have different saturation levels of hardware... where in chille an A2000 might be rare and expensive, in Germany there pretty much taking up space and not worth as much.

So even if you REALLY REALLY want to help, by doing so you will be doing more harm.

its kinda like the "prime directive of non-interference" lol
Ooops! seems i need to read the site rules again

Anyway understood... I will keep my mouth shut if i see any ridiculous posts or prices on Amibay (or should i say keep my fingers away from the keyboard ).
AdSense AdSense