English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 March 2010, 11:51   #1
Melonfish
I killed Jools on purpose

Some Advice, suggestions please?

Hi all,

I'm very new to the emulation scene, i owned an A600 and an A1200 when i was in my early teens but i've never used Hard drives in them.

I'm currently running WinUAE and enjoying my old loves! however i've noticed there are some hard disk images knocking around .LHA files. how do i use these? i understand i can set a section of my hard drive as a virtual HDD for my amiga but how do you install the LHA's?
also are there any workbench images knocking around? i can't currently read my a600 workbench disks.

leading on from that, i have stacks and stacks of old floppies, i'm looking at doing this 2 floppy trick and using ADF reader, however how do i tell if my mobo has support for 2 floppies, its an Asus M2N-E SLI?
are there any other methods people would recommend? i.e. a custom controller for an amiga external floppy?

Thats about it for now, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but i'm still learning the forum and going a bit search crazy ;D

Also, how do i stop myself crying like a little girl every time i play an awesome old game?
and does anyone have that french copy of flashback that did the rounds? i had to use the level guides out of amiga format to play that through LOL!
Pete
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 March 2010, 11:57   #2
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
also are there any workbench images knocking around? i can't currently read my a600 workbench disks.
Sorry, but http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=eab..._ks_wb_faqitem
You might wanna try your luck with a popular search site though.

Quote:
Also, how do i stop myself crying like a little girl every time i play an awesome old game?
Gagging works Other than that, I think it's still better than crying, so not much no worry about

Quote:
and does anyone have that french copy of flashback that did the rounds? i had to use the level guides out of amiga format to play that through LOL!
http://www.planetemu.net/?section=re...&rubrique=roms
Old 29 March 2010, 12:05   #3
Melonfish
I killed Jools on purpose

Oops, sorry bout that, i should read the FAQ's properly

And epic link on the french flashback. it'll trigger a few memories alright
Old 29 March 2010, 12:34   #4
thomas

Quote:
i've noticed there are some hard disk images knocking around .LHA files. how do i use these?
On WinUAE's harddrives page, click on "add directory or archive", then on "select archive" and select the lha archive. It will then be used as harddrive in AmigaDOS. You need a Workbench ADF or an installed Workbench, though, to view the contents. Otherwise you'd only get a DOS prompt with no working commands.

Quote:
are there any other methods people would recommend? i.e. a custom controller for an amiga external floppy?
There are many methods. You could connect your real Amiga to the Pc through serial cable or network. You could connect a PC-readable medium to the Amiga (e.g. compact flash card).

There also is a custom PCI controller for standard PC floppy drives which can read Amiga floppy disks: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=842

And there is a do-it-yourself project to connect Amiga floppy drives to the PC: http://afr.back2roots.org/
AdSense AdSense