English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 March 2010, 15:08   #1
iridium

Reviving my old A1200 :)

Firstly I like to say hi to everyone from Lancashire UK.

Right, my Amigas (500 + 1200) have spent far too long in their boxes on top of the wardrobe and it's time to revive my good old friends!

I've just purchased a CF to IDE adaptor, a 2.5" 44 - 44 pin drive cable and I'm about to order a 4GB CF card when I work out where's the cheapest.

Now, I've just been thinking about how I'm going to install WB on this card... My 1200 didn't originally didn't come with a HD so I'm pretty sure I don't have a WB Install disk Could I make an install onto the CF card using WinUAE and then plug it into the 1200? If so, any hints, tips or directions for doing this please?

Oh, another question if I may? Connecting to the Internet... I gather I'll need a shed load more memory - can anyone suggest how to add this cheaply? Oh again, a PCMCIA network card; will either of these be suitable?

eBay PCMCIA LAN Card

eBay PCMCIA Wireless LAN Card

Thanks very much for any help!

Regards,

Steve
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 March 2010, 15:12   #2
Dagger

You could go the ClassicWb route, although you will need an install disc to set up your CF card unless it has been set up already.
http://classicwb.abime.net/

Last edited by Dagger; 23 March 2010 at 15:13. Reason: Typo
Old 23 March 2010, 15:19   #3
seuden
uber cool demi god

WinUAE is THE best way to setup a CF card for putting into an A1200 imo. If you require any disks (.adfs) or roms google is your bestest friend. ClassicWB is the easiest route to go too, imo.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:52   #4
iridium

Great. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give installing WB via WinUAE a go once the CF card arrives.

Any suggestions to the memory and LAN card questions?
Old 24 March 2010, 10:09   #5
seuden
uber cool demi god

I'm not sure about the LAN card query but the cheapest way to add memory afaik to the A1200 is using a fast ram expansion card which are around 30-40.
Old 24 March 2010, 11:51   #6
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium View Post
Great. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give installing WB via WinUAE a go once the CF card arrives.

Any suggestions to the memory and LAN card questions?
Hiya Steve,

Glad you dusted off your old computers

Ok for wireless you'll need a NetGear 802.11b 16-bit PCMCIA Model MA401 and a copy of EasyNet from AmigaKit

For memory, if you only want to run OS 3.1 then a simple 4MB memory card will suffice, if you want to run OS 3.9 then you'll need at least 8mb (32mb is a nice number).
Old 24 March 2010, 12:40   #7
Philophus

The MA401's work great with MiamiDX or Genesis stacks....wireless on your 1200 is great.

Go the ClassicWB route...you can do all the work in WInuae and then just plug the CF back in the Amiga and you're all set to go with a fully featured WB...you'll love it.
Old 28 March 2010, 00:48   #8
UncleSpam

There is an option, at least in the US to use a powerline ethernet adapter (actually two) and then use a regular 16-bit LAN PCMCIA on the A1200.

That should bypass any security concerns one may have due to no WPA support on the Amiga WiFi side.

- Bogdan

PS. I have not tried doing this, so I cannot comment on the practical aspects of this theory.
Old 01 April 2010, 14:44   #9
iridium

Thanks for all the replies!

My 4GB CF card came today Now, I feel really stupid having to ask this, but how the hell do I get ClassicWB_LITE on to the CF Card!?

I understand that 'Real_Amiga_Install.zip' has to be on the memory card, but I'm not sure how to get it there. I've tried formatting the CF card under WinUAE but it always says "Couldn't open device DH4" - that's another problem, I understand 'Real_Amiga_Install.zip' has to be on DH0...

What on earth am I doing wrong

Thanks for any help.

Oh, my MA401 card came too
Old 01 April 2010, 15:24   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Iridium,

What I suggest you do is setup workbench full on your PC under WinUAE then all you have to do is put the CF-IDE/CF Card in your amiga and it should boot into your newly installed Classic Workbench

How are you with winuae?

You're going to need, WinUAE, 3.0 or 3.1 Rom and either a WB3.0 or 3.1 ADF. I suggest the full set of 3.1 ADF's so you can update the install to 3.1 when prompted.

Plug you CF card into your CF reader on the PC (Hoping you have of of these)

Start WinUAE
Setup your config with the Rom etc.
Add your CF as a hard drive (you must have stated WinUAE with the disabledrivesafetycheck)
Insert the WB3.1 Install ADF
The hit Run.

You should see a WB 3.1 screen and the WB3.1 Icon, double click on the WB3.1 Icon and browse to HDToolbox, I think from memory its in the HDTools drawer (sorry I'm at work - working honest gov)
Run HDToolbox & setup your CF card, you might have to define new card and save the changes before you can format/partition it.

I suggest 500mb for DH0 (sys), 1.5gb for DH1 and 1.7ish (or whatever is left) for DH2 unless you want more partitions...

Once setup save your changes and restart WinUAE.

At this point you'll need to hit run again go back in the workbench screen you should see 3 icons for your partitions, you need to format each one (quick) and give it a volume lable i.e system, work & games.

Once they're all done restart WinUAE.

Next remove the hard drive you added, eject the install 3.1 ADF and add the ClassicWB HDF as a virtual drive.

Hit run and you should see the CWB install screen? It will prompt you to insert the Workbench ADF's to setup CWB. Once you've done that restart again and add your CF as a 2nd Hard drive again and hit run.

Now you should boot into classic workbench but you should also be able to see your hard drive icons.

Run Dopus and copy everything in DH0 (select all) to your new (DH0 which may be called DH0_1 but this will only apply in WinUAE)

Once its all copied you should be good to stick it in the A1200 and see if it works.

Really hope I got all the steps right there as this is from memory, I don;t think I missed anything. If you need to expand on anything let me know.

Work is slow today...

Steve.
Old 01 April 2010, 15:30   #11
Philophus

or when running Dopus just copy the contents of the hardisk file over to the cf card and bingo...plug it in and go.
Old 01 April 2010, 15:59   #12
iridium

Ok, thanks for the help!

1st problem - after I've added the CF card as a drive in WinUAE it keeps saying:

Code:
winuae.exe - Drive Not Ready

The drive is not ready for use; it's door may be open. Please check drive A:
and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.
Eh?
Old 01 April 2010, 16:07   #13
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I've not seen that before, your CF card isn't drive A: though is it? A: is usually reserved for a Floppy drive. Can you 'ignore' the error and continue?
Old 01 April 2010, 16:37   #14
iridium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I've not seen that before, your CF card isn't drive A: though is it? A: is usually reserved for a Floppy drive. Can you 'ignore' the error and continue?
Nope, it's drive F in windows. If I "continue" WinUAE starts but I can't see the card in Tools-->HDToolbox. One thing I did notice in WinUAE is that the "Read/write" box is ghosted in the Add hard drive settings...

Why on earth is WinUAE going on about Drive A...
Old 01 April 2010, 16:42   #15
Philophus

Did you add the cf flash card under the hard drives section in winuae? and checked the read/write option?
Old 01 April 2010, 16:52   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@iridium,

I think you will need more derailed step by step instructions then what I wrote out earlier.

If you like I can talk you though it later in MSN or something?

Once you've figured it out its easy, but it can be a bit of a nightmare at first!

Steve.
Old 01 April 2010, 16:57   #17
iridium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philophus View Post
Did you add the cf flash card under the hard drives section in winuae? and checked the read/write option?
That's the problem the r/w option is ghosted:

Old 01 April 2010, 17:06   #18
seuden
uber cool demi god

You need to format it in your A1200 first if you have a real workbench disk.
Old 01 April 2010, 17:42   #19
iridium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@iridium,

I think you will need more derailed step by step instructions then what I wrote out earlier.

If you like I can talk you though it later in MSN or something?

Once you've figured it out its easy, but it can be a bit of a nightmare at first!

Steve.
That'd be great - what would be even better would be if you PM'd me step-by-step instructions, if that's ok of course? Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steve
Old 01 April 2010, 17:43   #20
iridium

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
You need to format it in your A1200 first if you have a real workbench disk.
I have all the real Workbench disks except the 'Install' disk
AdSense AdSense