English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 March 2010, 19:33   #21
jotd
Cat freak

Any chances to replace generic C CPU emulation by 68k native Z80 / other processors emulation for better speed on classic amigas ? (tough luck for the display since it relies on a chunky pixel technology)
Would allow to play most 1980-1984 games with better speed.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 March 2010, 20:42   #22
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I cannot code for shit so no.

Compiling the source is about the limit of my know-how at the minute. I am considering learning to code though one day as that's where the big money is.
Old 30 March 2010, 22:18   #23
jotd
Cat freak

I can code but compiling stuff on the amiga just deters me If you think that coding will make you rich then you're in for a big surprise.
Old 31 March 2010, 06:49   #24
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I care about mame greatly, even though for SFIII/3rdStrk I need CPS3. The only emu I've used more is WUAE!

But although my CPU is 64 bit I'm still running 32 bit Windon't. (I'll probably only update my OS when WUAE goes 64 bit, if there is indeed any advantage in doing so...)

Back to mame, yeah, I just "upgraded" to mameUI and then quickly went back to mame32 cos of compat problems (a full three-fourths of my shit wouldn't even list).

EDIT: btw, I like the Strider image in the top left, Ian. ;-)
Old 16 April 2010, 03:12   #25
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Back to mame, yeah, I just "upgraded" to mameUI and then quickly went back to mame32 cos of compat problems (a full three-fourths of my shit wouldn't even list)
That's because since Mame32's name was changed to MameUI, most of the roms will have changed/updated. So you'd need to update your roms. Or stick with Mame32 as you say. I'm very happy with my 5-year-old Mame 106
Old 16 April 2010, 05:10   #26
birdy-scc
Banned

excellent stuff, I'm using the x64 version just now, so I'll let you know if I think of any suggestions.

One problem that I can think of is the save-position option. I can't remember exactly, but it seemed a bit of a hassle to save and restart quickly.
Old 16 April 2010, 12:13   #27
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
That's because since Mame32's name was changed to MameUI, most of the roms will have changed/updated. So you'd need to update your roms.
Is there a recommended source of MAMEUI ROMs online (am I allowed to ask that here?)
Old 16 April 2010, 13:21   #28
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yes pleasure dome

http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/

humm might not be MAMEUI ROMs, might have posted a bit 2 quick, but most up2date roms out there
Old 22 May 2010, 02:33   #29
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
MAME progress on the accuracy front

Updated MAME romsets aaaaaall the way from v0.135 to v0.138 via ClrMamePro (I think I used the bugger properly this time !), switched from MAME Plus ! to MAME plus! XT.

Tried to see if the built-in video recording feature could be somehow configured. Came to the conclusion that it wasn't the case : Too much HDD space wasted for my taste with uncompressed frames, so will use something else eventually.

More importantly, I am wondering if MAME guys really care for picture accuracy . Seems to me some old 2D classics didn't look as shabby when played on the real thing, even with decent hardware to run the emulator on top of. Mmmmh... (scratching his chin). Does anyone has an opinion to share ?
Old 23 May 2010, 00:38   #30
NewDeli
Banned

I know it may sound a bit moronic to post about updating MAME romsets, and MAME accuracy can be better discussed among people who own some actual arcade system at home and make comparisons, which is minority here.
Anyone encountered issues while updating ? My 0.135 romset was not only outdated, it was missing many roms.

I am proud of what I did, it almost made me feel like an expert :
On some blog, there was a list with all of 0.135 mame roms.
I could have downloaded the whole thing, but I preferred to do it rom by rom (waste of bandwidth and such concerns).
Well, the problem is that checking every ClrMamePro log entry with the list was getting on my nerves, so I downloaded a text file matching program, used a keyword view, and had all the missing roms (abbreviated name from the zip file aka "folder") highlighted !

Oh, that was not all : I had to grab the missing extra roms for MAME Plus! also which are commonly requested, but no so commonly grouped as a one piece download.

Here's the bottom line :
Code:
Missing
Sets         :        29  / 8832
Roms        :       77  / 128872
Samples    :       220/ 2542

Last edited by NewDeli; 23 May 2010 at 03:26.
Old 23 May 2010, 00:59   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey Deli,

Maybe you should be posting here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51528
Old 23 May 2010, 01:45   #32
NewDeli
Banned

A relevant comment is Maren's INMHO. Sadly, he seems to be on vacation or too busy to visit EAB these days :
Quote:
Last Activity: 23 April 2010
Well, so be it (I must admit I first intended to give a chance to people to post in a less l€€t MAME thread).

Last edited by NewDeli; 23 May 2010 at 03:04.
Old 23 May 2010, 12:34   #33
TCD

Btw : If you use torrents and know the right source, you only point the updated MAME set to your old set and it downloads only the changed bits. Nice and easy.
Old 23 May 2010, 14:27   #34
NewDeli
Banned

I followed this flash tutorial :
http://www.cphsolutions.f2s.com/guid...rotutorial.htm

and applied the trick which consists in dropping one after the others the folders containing the updated roms directly onto the log window that pops up after a ClrMamePro scan.

So you guys are happy about MAME accuracy and ordinary MAME romsets, apparently. I know for a fact dlfr bought a few Arcade boards (was the brand name Jamma ?) and plays some classics without the cabinet. If I could, I'd do the same for Xevious and Street Fighter EX (one of the SF in 3D).

My partial (and probably biased) conclusion is that the less the game is detailed and graphics intensive, the easier it is to spot inaccuracies.
Old 23 May 2010, 21:24   #35
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul Send a message via Skype™ to Foul
anyway to compile sdlmame for Amiga 68k ?

Any 68060 would be enough for 90% of game no ?
Old 02 June 2010, 15:57   #36
NewDeli
Banned

@Foul
Just to let you know, a French dude coded a MAME port for MorphOS.

Finally managed to complete my MAMEXT rom sets, thanks to the great uploads offered at RetroRoms . Well, I have chosen to leave out quite a few .CHDs but the roms are all fine as a matter of fact !

Next step will be to set up WinKawaks, as it's probably better for playing NeoGeo games... mmmhhh... Not too sure all this relates to the previous posts in that thread but anyway.

@KG
If you read this, I think you should check Chaos Heat. It's one of these games where one blasts things (having in mind some thread of yours about such games). It's part of the awesome Taito GNET new sets that got added these last months.

Last edited by NewDeli; 02 June 2010 at 16:44.
Old 02 June 2010, 20:16   #37
jotd
Cat freak

@Foul even 68060 is slow on C-based emulators like MAME
The DS has a more powerful CPU, and MAME has not been ported. Instead there's MarcaDS with (I think) recode of the CPU emulation stuff directly in assembly.

Without a gfx board video is sloooow since the principle of MAME is chunky pixels so even with a fast C2P it's not smooth...
It costs a lot of CPU to mix sounds too SDL-like.

I tried to run MAME on 68060 several years ago (using a GFX board) and I was very disappointed by the speed/refresh rate, even with games like PacMan!
AdSense AdSense