English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 March 2010, 10:30   #21
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Apropos, never played an id game for longer than 3 minutes.
Okay, I borrow you some of the 30,000 minutes I did and you don't have to feel ashamed
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 March 2010, 10:41   #22
ami_junkie

Great episode Matt, interesting as always, looking forward to the next episodes. Definitely should archive all the videos for future viewing.

Old 08 March 2010, 11:56   #23
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
C64 and later on the Amiga here Too bad I didn't got deeper into coding back then Text adventures and parsers... ah good times
Yeah i know mate and those times shall never return but at least we could say we WERE THERE! Actually i would have liked to played around with a bit of coding on my C64 back in the day but my mother was working 3 jobs (single parent) raising 3 kids so the best she could afford for me was a 2nd hand C64 in about 1986 and at the time without her realizing, half the keys hardly worked which resulted in me pulling the damn thing apart every couple of weeks to remount the actual keyboard circuit board, so any serious coding would have been out of question! entering my name into World Class Leaderboard Golf was challenge enough!.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
matt + blade: the door is still open to the wonderful world of game development you know; its just not as glamorous (or challenging, unless you suck at math like me) as it used to be
Its just not the same anymore! The magic niche days are gone and so has the spirit. The 80's and early 90's was where it was at, but now... eerghhh...
Old 08 March 2010, 12:04   #24
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Matt - I wonder how long it will be until someone puts all your "MattChat" episodes together, creates a nice front end and a menu select - puts it all onto a DVD and flogs it on ebay as "Rare interviews with vintage game creators"

I hope this makes you smile - I am only kidding... but nothing shocks me on ebay these days...
Old 08 March 2010, 12:57   #25
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
as ever
Old 08 March 2010, 19:08   #26
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I certainly can't argue though that Wolfenstein is an important part of history and of course it will have likely layed down some very important basics for how Doom was designed

I wasn't part of the pc crowd back then and i guess that may have been why i didn't really enjoy the experience Wolfenstein.A time also when i was playing Starfox so maybe that explains better why

Last edited by Adropac2; 08 March 2010 at 20:09.
Old 08 March 2010, 19:24   #27
mattbarton.exe

I'm actually surprised Catacombs 3D doesn't get more attention, since it seems to have many of the same conventions in place. True, it was only EGA, but playing the two back-to-back left me thinking more of their similarities than their differences. In any case, Wolfenstein 3D is definitely a more appealing game theme and graphic wise. The connection to the Silas Warner classic probably garnered a lot of critical attention from the right people back then, too.

I may end up trying to do some kind of DVD thing at some point. That might be a fun summer project. Still, I'm guessing I'd sell something like 50 copies or so, and that's probably not enough to cover the costs of making the DVDs. I'd be curious if anyone else has done this and broke even on it.
Old 08 March 2010, 20:07   #28
Adropac2
Zone Friend

The FPS was always going to emerge at some point of that i have absolutely no hesitation in saying but Doom somehow did everything so right and in such an astonishing way- considering it could have taken many iterations before we got something as refined

Hats off to Wolfenstein and the warms ups before it but it's like Doom was a gift from the heavens.Personally i prefer to play Halo1 these days but as a game, Doom hasn't aged one little bit- providing you go in expecting an arcade experience

No wonder Doom3 was such a let down for a lot of folk
Old 08 March 2010, 21:48   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
The FPS was always going to emerge at some point of that i have absolutely no hesitation in saying but Doom somehow did everything so right and in such an astonishing way- considering it could have taken many iterations before we got something as refined
That's true actually, it *was* quite an achievement to take that leap in one go. Of course the technology itself was already awesome for that time, but as a game it was also just incredibly good, smooth, fast (on 486 machines) and had a great atmosphere.

Who would have thought that some paper written in the 60s (1969 to be precise) on space partitioning could spark a math genius to create a smooth and detailed (but limited) 3D world on slow CPUs some 25 years later...
Old 08 March 2010, 23:01   #30
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Its just not the same anymore! The magic niche days are gone and so has the spirit. The 80's and early 90's was where it was at, but now... eerghhh...
Pragramming games is easier than ever on a technical level. There are dozens of free, high quality engines. So many, that it is actually hard to pick one. Makes you think why there is no serious grass roots movement. There are great fan made sequels, and Japanese style rpgs, of course, but surprisingly few have self reliant, originally creative content. Yo Frankie!
Old 14 March 2010, 10:38   #31
mattbarton.exe

Part III!
[ Show youtube player ]

Enjoy.
Old 14 March 2010, 13:51   #32
TCD

I <3 DOOM Thanks again for the great interviews with John Matt
Old 15 March 2010, 00:39   #33
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Great interview!!

If I ever become famous, like hell I will... Matt, you can have first interview

There's something about Matt as a host, so natural and charasmatic. Addictive personality and interesting to watch with good use of English /fanboi.
Old 15 March 2010, 00:48   #34
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Is the same john romero who made the infamous daikatana???
Old 15 March 2010, 00:51   #35
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

I wonder what Romero would think of "gloom"

Great interviews Matt - looking forward to part 4!

This has inspired me to dig out and play Doom64 on the N64 - Doom is so great - has any game had such an impact since it's release I wonder...
Old 15 March 2010, 03:10   #36
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Is the same john romero who made the infamous daikatana???
Hell yes. I'm still waiting for him to kick my ass though.
Old 15 March 2010, 09:39   #37
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
This has inspired me to dig out and play Doom64 on the N64 - Doom is so great - has any game had such an impact since it's release I wonder...
I'm currently playing Evilution again Maybe Pong is in the same league...
Old 15 March 2010, 10:43   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I'm currently playing Evilution again Maybe Pong is in the same league...
I also believe the kid with the green clothes sold some Nintendos...
Old 15 March 2010, 10:49   #39
TCD

True, but I still don't think that a single plumber had the same impact. Admittedly he had some impact over time
Old 15 March 2010, 10:53   #40
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Pragramming games is easier than ever on a technical level. There are dozens of free, high quality engines. So many, that it is actually hard to pick one. Makes you think why there is no serious grass roots movement. There are great fan made sequels, and Japanese style rpgs, of course, but surprisingly few have self reliant, originally creative content. Yo Frankie!
Thank you for the info and the link gilgamesh I will be definitely checking that one out because i really want to get good at something like this. I think somewhere hidden away inside of me in this yearning to make something grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Great interview!!

If I ever become famous, like hell I will... Matt, you can have first interview

There's something about Matt as a host, so natural and charasmatic. Addictive personality and interesting to watch with good use of English /fanboi.
Agreed! Matt is where its at, and i would have to say he is the best game related interviewer currently on YouTube and his vastly expansive experience on multiple systems over the years makes him ideal
AdSense AdSense