English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 February 2010, 11:43   #41
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The best value (i.e. free) thing for any spectrum is OTLA.

An amazing bit of mathematics and software programming which works out the maximum bitrate possible for Spectrum audio input. Combined with an MP3 player you can re-record all your tapes as high speed as MP3's so they only take a fraction of the time to load. No errors.

[ Show youtube player ]

A 5 128Mbyte MP3 player from the Supermarket can store almost all Spectrum titles. Also if you google you can find someone has converted almost all titles to OTLA MP3's already
Hi Alex,

I was tryting something yesterday called K7zx which is supposed to do the same thing however the mp3's didn't work. They loaded up and then the loading picture had corrupt graphics and at the end the games were 'stuck'

But I shall certainly try the one you've linked in the hope its better. Just got my old GP32 out of the cupboard which can play MP3's and i'll havea nice list on the screen of the games so that will be an ideal companion to Mr Speccy.

Will report how I get on with OLTA.

Steve.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 February 2010, 12:07   #42
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I was trying something yesterday called K7zx
OTLA is the successor to K7zx.

Quote:
which is supposed to do the same thing however the mp3's didn't work. They loaded up and then the loading picture had corrupt graphics and at the end the games were 'stuck'
Sounds like you have the wrong settings for the type of loader for that game. Different loaders use different bit periods and so require different settings.
Old 27 February 2010, 14:31   #43
Allen1

@ alexh and Steve,

OK you two, you got me interested enough to get my +3 out and give the program to transfer games back from tap etc to audio to play on the speccy. After sorting out a lead for the +3 and my pocket PC phone I found that it works great (just tried manic miner) No more duff tape problems, the only problem that my +3 now has is the drive belt has perished, I will order a new one soon.

.......1........ 2 . 3
|||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||| |||||::

Steve the audio in is the middle connection and the long section (GND) ie 1 and 2 as above, the very tip is audio out and (GND) and this is using a stereo 3.5mm jack plug (mini headphones)

Please don't think about getting a PS2, Acorn electron or BBC system out, I only just put them away not so long ago
Old 27 February 2010, 14:32   #44
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Not getting very far with the GP32 the sound output is rubbish and the sound output on my PSP is too quiet.

Only way I can load games at the moment is off the PC or by disk. I think i'll defo be going for a divide.

Sadly I don't have a tape player any more
Old 27 February 2010, 15:19   #45
Allen1

Steve,

have you not got an old phone capable of playing mp3s and wav files?
Old 27 February 2010, 18:32   #46
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Steve,

have you not got an old phone capable of playing mp3s and wav files?

Yeah but the outputs are too quiet.

The input is only just picking up my PSP and phone at full volume. Only the PC has enough juice to make the Speccy pick up the signal.

My GP32 can play OGG files at a high enough volume but I just get tape loading errors.

If I can find a WAV player for the GP32 then that might work, MP3's again on the GP32 are too quiet to be picked up.

Not going to spend too much time on it if I can get a cheap divide.

Steve.
Old 27 February 2010, 19:19   #47
Allen1

I'm just using an Orange SPV M1000 pocket PC that I got from fleabay, it's good for videos and games which is why I bought it plus I wanted to see if I could fix it (charging connector comes loose on these). Maybe something along these lines would be a cheaper alternative as they are olde wurlde mobiles compared to what you can get nowadays, they also have an SD card slot on the top so transferring files between a PC and it is simplicity. The downside of this phone is that the headphone socket is the smaller size than the standard 3.5mm but adapters are easy to get.
Old 27 February 2010, 19:22   #48
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I bought a 128Mbyte Technika MP3 Player from Tesco for 4.99 (a long time ago) and it works great with +3
Old 27 February 2010, 19:29   #49
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
I bought a 128Mbyte Technika MP3 Player from Tesco for 4.99 (a long time ago) and it works great with +3
I dont think the players are the problem, I think my +3 is getting a very low audio input.

I really want to get backups on to floppy and use it that way so the divide seems like the way forward

Thanks again all
Old 03 March 2010, 23:28   #50
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I've grabbed a cheap DivIDE through a Polish Seller on Ebay for 27.50

Will one of these work passed through my Kemston Interface? Reason I say this is because the Sinclair +2 joystick ports are not working

Also anyone have a link to a guide, or can tell me how to get speccy disk images back onto floppy disk via the divide? This is in the case I can't use the divide & kempston at the same time.

Thanks

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 03 March 2010 at 23:35.
Old 04 March 2010, 00:12   #51
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It comes as a bare board? No plastics?

I imagine for non multi-load games it would be faster to load memory snapshots direct from DivIDE into RAM?
Old 04 March 2010, 00:17   #52
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
It comes as a bare board? No plastics?

I imagine for non multi-load games it would be faster to load memory snapshots direct from DivIDE into RAM?
Yep that will be the eaisest way to use it as long as I can use my Kempston Interface/Joystick at the same time (My Interface has a pass through) All the DivIDE's i've seen on ebay are bare boards, is this not normal?
Old 04 March 2010, 01:01   #53
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I think all I've seen is the plus version.

Old 04 March 2010, 03:26   #54
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

DivIDE's are a great piece of kit,

please bare in mind that there are jumper options on the board - these configure the DivIDE to work with the Z80 port at the rear.

I mention this because the Spectrum 128 has a different rear Z80 port when compaired to Zx48k / spectrum + / spectrum 128 +2

Although I believe the 128 +2a/b and +3 have the same port also, as I dont own one, I cannot say for sure, so double check.

DIvIDE's are truly awesome bits of kit.

the DivIDE+ is not much more than a pass-through and a pretty plastic box.
Old 04 March 2010, 09:31   #55
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks Mr Z, looks like a nice piece of Kit. The only ones I could find in a plastic case are 65 and I really didn't want to spend that much after spending a ridiculous amount of my hard earned on the Apollo 630

I'm pretty sure the interface at the rear of my +3 is the same as those that were on my 48k/128k and +2a as I've used the same Kempston Interface in all my speccy's, this Interface is almost as old as me

I'll let you know how I get on and will shout if and when I get stuck

Last edited by fitzsteve; 27 April 2015 at 23:47.
Old 04 March 2010, 14:09   #56
Allen1

Hi there Steve,

I just phoned your place and talked to your lass, I congratulated you and your new bit of kit and for some reason she said I'll bl**dy kill him and slammed the phone down. Eeh aren't women funny sometimes.

Anyway back on topic if I remember correctly the +3 expansion port is wired differently to earlier models as Zetr0 mentions. I bought an adapter for that very reason all those years ago so I would look into the differences just to be safe ok.

(just kidding about the phone call)

have a look , I may be wrong about the need for the adapter but I am not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	24463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	24464  

Last edited by Allen1; 04 March 2010 at 14:35.
Old 04 March 2010, 14:20   #57
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Hi there Steve,

I just phoned your place and talked to your lass, I congratulated you and your new bit of kit and for some reason she said I'll bl**dy kill him and slammed the phone down. Eeh aren't women funny sometimes.

Anyway back on topic if I remember correctly the +3 expansion port is wired differently to earlier models as Zetr0 mentions. I bought an adapter for that very reason all those years ago so I would look into the differences just to be safe ok.

(just kidding about the phone call)
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the info, i'll make sure the guy knows I have a +3 in case he has two types of board. And obviously check before I plug it in

Steve.

Edit:

I've read the manual linked in the auction, theres a jumper setting to change on the board for +2a/+3 compatibility

Last edited by fitzsteve; 04 March 2010 at 14:41.
Old 04 March 2010, 14:45   #58
Allen1

I may be wrong about the need for the adapter but I think I bought it when I got the Plus D interface and 3 1/2"drive. That was before I got the 3 1/2" drive that came out for the +3, I tried putting a link in my previous post as I have done before but my brain has gone on strike and I can't remember what I did last time (I only got the full address instead of a link) any way here is a bit of info on the DIvIDE device you are looking into for future use
PHP Code:
http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/spectrum/spectrum_storage.html 
[/URL]
Old 04 March 2010, 14:48   #59
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks Allen

This should keep me busy whilst I wait for the Apollo.....
Old 04 March 2010, 15:20   #60
Allen1

Quote:
Thanks Allen

This should keep me busy whilst I wait for the Apollo.....
Hey that's not a bad one on fleabay at 41 delivered from Poland for a new uncased Divide board and CF adapter. If the method that alexh mentioned had not worked for me then I would be very tempted to get one myself. My Axim X30 and Acer s60 are not powerful enough for the audio method either nor was the orange SPV C500 but I have enjoyed trying them out.

It still amazes me when I see new hardware making old obsolete items like our old spectrums become a fast loading device that makes them a joy to play with again, especially after so many years stuck in cupboards and the likes

All the best,
Allen
AdSense AdSense