English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 February 2010, 22:48   #1
h4tt3n

How to format a harddisk on a1200?

Beginner seeking a little advice...

I just threw a 40gb 2.5" laptop harddisk into my a1200. The hd led flashes up on startup and the drive starts spinning.

Could anyone please explain step-by-step how one goes about formatting it?

Ps. I can't plug the drive directly into a pc, but I can transfer software from pc to amiga via a pcmcia compactflash kit.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by h4tt3n; 09 February 2010 at 22:49. Reason: typo
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 February 2010, 00:38   #2
h4tt3n

Figured it out. Obviously, the workbench install disk had to be the one missing from the package I picked up the other day.
Old 10 February 2010, 00:53   #3
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

To cut a long story short... I think you are going to find using that hard drive a bit of a challenge because it is well over the standard 4GB size that Workbench is comfortable with... your best bet at this stage is to search the forum for the best advice on formatting and installing Workbench on larger hard drives - it is a situation that has been tackled here many times on the forum - it can be tricky using large hard drives.
Old 10 February 2010, 09:40   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi,

I'm using a 40gb laptop hard drive in my A1200, I've not been down the route of setting up large hard drive support yet since with loads of Apps, Classic Workbench ADV SP, about 1300 WHDLoad games, Emulators with 100's of Roms I am only using about 3gb

I just setup the first 4gb of the drive. I suggest 250-500mb for your DH1 1.5gb for storage and a (just under 2gb) for Games.

If you're using the standard Amiga file system you need to keep you partitions below 2gb and only within the first 4gb of the drive.

As you've already worked out you need the Workbench 3.1 install disk, then you need to run HDToolbox and format/partition your drive from there.

Steve.
Old 10 February 2010, 17:31   #5
h4tt3n

Yes, I forgot to mention that I'll only use the first 4gb, as recommended just about everywhere. It's just hard to get your hands on a 2.5" drive less than 40 gb these days :-)

I found this tutorial on how to install and format it from scratch, and I suppose it's good. If you know a better tutorial / guide I'd appreciate a link.

Now I've stubled across another problem: When HDToolBox has detected the drive and I press ok, a messagebox pops up saying "The file L:FastFileSystem cannot be found or has errors. The setup for the drive will not have a filesystem. (...)"

Is this due to a corrupt workbench disk, do I have to install the file manually or something entirely different?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10 February 2010, 20:07   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
lookin your L folder for FastFileSystem and replace with a good one
Old 10 February 2010, 20:30   #7
h4tt3n

Ok, I found the fastfilesystem, and now the drive has four formatted and working partitions of 1000mb each. Phew :-)

When trying to install wb3.1 I hit another wall... I've run the install tool on the wb install 3.1 disk, but after I choose which languages, printer drivers, and keymaps to include, I get a "workbench3.1 disk full" error and the installer aborts ?!?
I just don't understand why anything would have to be written to the wb3.1 floppy disk during a hd install. Am I supposed to delete something from the workbench disk, so it's not 100% full anymore? If yes, which files can be deleted safely?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10 February 2010, 21:30   #8
thomas

Quote:
after I choose which languages, printer drivers, and keymaps to include, I get a "workbench3.1 disk full" error and the installer aborts ?!?
Beginner's mistake.

1. It has tried to install Workbench to the floppy disks. Hopefully you made a backup of the disks, because the copy you used is now destroyed.
2. always keep your floppy disks write protected. If you want to install to HDD, there is no reason to write to the floppy disks. If it tells you to remove the write protection, you did something wrong.
3. never ever select Novice mode when using the Commodore installer!! Novice mode is for experts only. Use Advanced or Expert, then you will be asked where to install to. Novice mode does a "best guess" installation without asking any questions. This always goes wrong.
Old 10 February 2010, 21:47   #9
h4tt3n

Thanks Thomas, I just realised this! Indeed a silly beginner's mistake... after having owned an amiga for 20 years :-)

Workbench 3.1 is now installed on the drive, and everything seems to work just fine!
AdSense AdSense