English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 January 2010, 06:29   #1
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

automatic scaling font distortion

I'm using a WB3.1 install with WUAE and automatic scaling distorts the fonts even if I have Keep aspect ratio checked (so I have a small amount of vertical blackness on each side of screen).

This is with full screen + VSync.

Unfortunately, even when I return to Windowed mode, the fonts are still distorted.

How to fix this?

(Yes I'm using August 2009 Directx redist.)
AdSense AdSense  
Advertisement:
Old 30 January 2010, 17:15   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Aspect ratio always causes some blurriness because non-square vs square pixels. (or perhaps I misunderstood, more information please)
Old 30 January 2010, 23:47   #3
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

It isn't blurriness per se, so much as the lettering under icons (for eg., "Ram Disk") seem out of line. The pixels that make up the letters are askew.

If I don't use Filter -> Automatic scaling, they're fine, but the screen's got huge black vertical borders, on left/right. I wanted to maximise my screen area but not at the expense of annoying crooked letters (I'm not using a wide screen on this emu-rig).

Another e.g., to be as clear as I can, the "MagicWB2.0" letters under said icon... the "M" of "Magic" is twice as thick as the "c" of "Magic".

Update: I managed to fix the problem at least without the Filter -> auto scale, which is great, so I don't have re-install WUAE now! But my problem using auto scale remains...
Old 31 January 2010, 17:30   #4
Ed Cruse

What you're describing sounds familiar. I see what I think you're seeing when using D3D filters with Point mode instead of Bilinear. The letters are very distorted with Point mode, some letter are very thick and some are thin, and the thick and thin can happen even within a letter. Now this is with 2020b7.

If you're getting black bars in the sides I'd say you have the Monitor Aspect ratio set wrong. You should set it to the aspect ratio of your monitor and then WinUAE will emulate a 4:3 monitor. My monitor is a 5:4 so I set the Aspect Ratio to 5:4 and it puts black bars at the top and bottom, emulating a 4:3 monitor which is what NTSC and PAL were intented to be displayed on.
Old 05 February 2010, 18:25   #5
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
What you're describing sounds familiar. I see what I think you're seeing when using D3D filters with Point mode instead of Bilinear. The letters are very distorted with Point mode, some letter are very thick and some are thin, and the thick and thin can happen even within a letter. Now this is with 2020b7.

If you're getting black bars in the sides I'd say you have the Monitor Aspect ratio set wrong. You should set it to the aspect ratio of your monitor and then WinUAE will emulate a 4:3 monitor. My monitor is a 5:4 so I set the Aspect Ratio to 5:4 and it puts black bars at the top and bottom, emulating a 4:3 monitor which is what NTSC and PAL were intented to be displayed on.
I corrected this problem by installing Picasso96 and enchancing resolution.
I now have a grey bar, at the top, about 2 pixels wide, stemming from the far-left horizontally to the middle of the screen, however, OUTSIDE the desktop but on-screen.
Honestly, I know not how this could occur and really no longer could care less.
But thank you for any and all input. :-)
AdSense AdSense  
Advertisement: