English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 January 2010, 16:55   #1
Gareth

EDIT: Sorry

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Really. Missed out the smallest bit. Sorry for wasting anyone's time, heh.

Last edited by Gareth; 19 January 2010 at 17:25. Reason: I'm an idiot

AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 January 2010, 17:50   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
welcome to EAB

what a great opening post, nothing wrong with being an idiot
Old 19 January 2010, 17:55   #3
Gareth

Hah, yeah, I posted my issue but I resolved it myself. Or so I had thought. Thanks for the welcome though, even if I've made a bit of a bad impression =)

Basically, I'm trying to establish the ability to transfer files between my PC and my Amiga 500 running WB1.3. However, setting it up is proving rather difficult due to a few problems.

At the moment, I don't have access to the Serial preferences on the WB1.3 disk, as when I try to open the Serial icon it gives me the error "Error while opening SYS:Prefs/Preferences 205". I've not done anything to the WB1.3 disc since I got it, so I'm assuming that something's is up with it?

I've tried file transfers without adjusting the settings, but they're all falling short and leaving a file on the RAM disk that's incomplete, which is kinda what I was expecting. Attempting to run it gives the error that I've seen others get of "file is not and object module". Any ideas?

Last edited by Gareth; 19 January 2010 at 18:01.

Old 19 January 2010, 23:29   #4
Konrad

I always hated Null-Modem cable transfer. Slow as hell.
Cable length can be an issue, but I'm sure you've set the transfer speed too high.
Old 20 January 2010, 00:50   #5
Gareth

Thanks a lot for the ideas Konrad, really appreciate it. Gotta agree with you, it's really slow, but I don't have much of a choice =/

Sadly, trying a lower baud rate still results in the same result of the file I'm trying to transfer being 20401 bytes, which is about half the size. Of course, because of the lack of an option on my copy of WorkBench to change... well, any preferences. So the baud rate is just being changed on the PC end, and that's almost certainly going to cause issues. The cable itself is 1m, and I'd imagine that's not too long.

So, uh, is there any other way of changing the serial port settings on WB1.3, maybe via CLI? If I could do that, I'd be able to image the WB disks and sort everything out, but the only other thing I can think of would be to get another set of WorkBench disks and see if they work after changing the rate settings on the Amiga itself. Any ideas?

Old 20 January 2010, 11:00   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
sounds like that disk has errors on it
Old 21 January 2010, 00:30   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Gareth,

If you send your troublesome WB1.3 disk to me I will check it out and overwrite it with a good copy of WB1.3 if necessary.

PM me if you'd like me to do that for you.
AdSense AdSense