English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 January 2010, 21:14   #1
Gilbert

Please help with Info for my CD32

Hi i recently sold off my old A500 and i have just a CD32. I love the game Exile which i have on BBC Master, Amiga A500, Amiga AGA version and AMiga CD32. if i buy all the necessary equipment can i play these versions (obviously not the BBC version) on my CD32? what expansion module should i get?. I do have one but i am not sure if it is the best module (it is a Paravision SX-1) i fi get an add on module will my CD32 play all A1200 games?

What games are good on the CD32? - i don't mind if they are A500 games - those ones that got quick conversions since i no longer have my other Amiga.

so far i like guardian, Zool, Skeleton Crew (though it has a strange control system), and Exile (tho i like the more zoomed out screen on the old Amiga version). I played Oscar which seems a bit poor esp with teh control panel taking up so much of the screen

Please recommend me more games to get. Thank you for any help, sorry for so many questions
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 January 2010, 21:33   #2
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Roadkill
Banshee
Dizzy
Soccer Kid
Liberation
Theme Park
Beneath a Steel Sky
Pinball Fantasies
Super Skidmarks
Syndicate
Cannon Fodder
Chaos Engine
Shadow Fighter

All these are very good CD32 games
Old 17 January 2010, 21:36   #3
hit

i would also suggest Flink. you can find it next to some more on the eab file-server http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633 (folder CD32)
Old 17 January 2010, 21:37   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
if i buy all the necessary equipment can i play these versions (obviously not the BBC version) on my CD32?
Sure.

Quote:
what expansion module should i get?. I do have one but i am not sure if it is the best module (it is a Paravision SX-1) i fi get an add on module will my CD32 play all A1200 games?
Paravision SX-1 is all you will need. Fit the 8Mbyte RAM upgrade and a hard drive (or IDE-CF card) and it will be great.

Quote:
What games are good on the CD32?
With a Paravision SX-1 you can play almost any Amiga game there is.
Old 17 January 2010, 21:38   #5
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Silly Putty
Old 17 January 2010, 22:17   #6
Gilbert

oh thank you for the help. does anyone know if Desert Strike is better than the other console versions? (I have a Megadrive and SNES so i would only want it if it was better). i was thinking of Out to Lunch too but i would imagine it's better on SNES. CD32 is strange, its really a computer not a console. It doesn't really have enought sprites to rival the other consoles properly. Its seems a bit of a lazy effort on Commodores part. i would say its good for Amiga fans though (like me)

so with the add on module, i will need a disc drive as well ? or can you now get these games on cd?
Old 17 January 2010, 23:37   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
does anyone know if Desert Strike is better than the other console versions? (I have a Megadrive and SNES so i would only want it if it was better).
It was worse.

Quote:
i was thinking of Out to Lunch too but i would imagine it's better on SNES.
You are correct.

Quote:
It doesn't really have enough sprites to rival the other consoles properly. Its seems a bit of a lazy effort on Commodores part. i would say its good for Amiga fans though (like me)
But it has so much more horse power than any of the other consoles. I imagine it could replicate almost any sprite effect the SNES/Megadrive could do in software. The lazy part was mainly the programmers and their managers.

Quote:
so with the add on module, i will need a disc drive as well ? or can you now get these games on cd?
You do not need any add on module to play games from CD. Just google for cd32-200, cd32-350, cd32-444 & cd32-888

If you have an addon module, best to use the hard drive rather than floppy drive.
Old 18 January 2010, 00:13   #8
Gilbert

I guess its possible it could do so. I just meant its not really built as a console, for playing games. even the hardware scrolling is a bit difficult - is not tile based so is hard to do background animations The CPU is really powerful u are right though, i have a Neo Geo console too and its amazing what it can do with just it's 68000 CPU and all those sprites , i would guess the blitter on CD32 has to share clock cycles with the CPU, i know it did on the A500, which slows the CPU down a bit. i would hope there may be some homebrew games which will one day show what it really can do. i was just watching a vid of GLOOM on CD32 that looks amazing considering.

wow i like the sound of those compilation disks! i really want to play Player Manager and Paradroid 90 on my CD32, i hope u can get those, i was having trouble finding a list of contents for those disks.
Old 18 January 2010, 00:32   #9
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
The Amiga version of Desert Strike is indeed better (or at least graphically and aurally superior) than the Mega Drive version (I haven't played the SNES one to be honest). The Mega Drive version had a total of 32 colours onscreen during gameplay, 16 for the backgrounds and 16(15+transparency) for the sprites. The Amiga version is in EHB 64 colour mode, and while the majority of the graphics look the same, you actually get real shadows instead of black dithered pixels, and all the menu screens, title screen and intro are vastly improved over the MD version.

The SNES version of Out To Lunch is much more colourful than the Amiga version. The Amiga/CD32 version uses Dual Playfield mode which limits it to two planes of 16 colours, similar to the Mega Drive. The SNES isn't limited to 16 colours per playfield, and so the background, forground and character graphics in the SNES version all used many more colours than the Amiga version, making them look smoother and more colourful.

The Amiga's sprite and tiling capabilities are kind of poor compared to the MegaDrive, SNES and NeoGeo, however it has the Blitter and Copper which do much of the same work, but in a different way. Most Amiga games use BOBs (Blitter Objects) rather than Sprites, because OCS sprites are limited to 3 colours (like the mouse pointer) and only 16 pixels wide, unless you combine them. AGA sprites are limited to 15 colours and can be 32 pixels wide on a 320-wide screen, and 64 pixels wide on a 256-wide screen. Amiga sprites can be as tall as they want, which is one nifty thing, there seems to be no vertical limit other than the screen size.

You can compile your own bootable CDs with A500 and A1200 games on them to play on your CD32 without the need for any expansions. This might involve having to set up UAE and learning how to use MakeCD in Workbench, but once you have it figured out it doesn't take long to make your own bootable game CDs by using WHDLoad-installed games and a custom Startup-Sequence. Getting an SX-1 or SX32 would still help out a lot, but you don't really need them if you only plan on playing Exile and other A500 games. Have a look on some Torrent websites for some pre-made CD32 compilation discs, which contain hundreds of classic Amiga games selectable from a menu.
Old 18 January 2010, 00:36   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
The Amiga version of Desert Strike is indeed better than the Mega Drive version (I haven't played the SNES one to be honest). The Mega Drive version had a total of 32 colours onscreen during gameplay, 16 for the backgrounds and 16(15+transparency) for the sprites. The Amiga version is in EHB 64 colour mode, and while the majority of the graphics look the same, you actually get real shadows instead of black dithered pixels, and all the menu screens, title screen and intro are vastly improved over the MD version.
And the scrolling is smoother too on a 68EC020 (or better), compared with the Mega Drive version.
Old 18 January 2010, 10:05   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
AGA sprites are limited to 15 colours and can be 32 pixels wide on a 320-wide screen, and 64 pixels wide on a 256-wide screen.
AGA sprites can be 16, 32 or 64 pixel wide in all resolutions.
Old 18 January 2010, 13:48   #12
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Thanks Toni, it's nice to know we can still use large sprites on a full screen. Are there some other limitations when using 64-pixel wide sprites? Limited to only 4 perhaps?
Old 18 January 2010, 14:16   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Thanks Toni, it's nice to know we can still use large sprites on a full screen. Are there some other limitations when using 64-pixel wide sprites? Limited to only 4 perhaps?
There are no special 32 or 64 pixel wide limits, all sprite sizes (including 16 pixel wide) have identical limits.
Old 19 January 2010, 00:17   #14
Gilbert

thank you for the info. It was actually Jungle Strike i had, i only played it today. i like it, so i think i will keep it I don't like the way the screen in kind of positioned so its at the top on CD32 games (like the A500 as well) and then there's a big gap at the bottom. i wish it could be fullscreen or central.

Is Elite 2 on CD32 any good?, i had a brief go today and i couldn't work out how to take off (was just playing quickly). the screen area is really small and the demo before the game started was all jerky. maybe u can change the detail level tho to make the screen update faster. i used to like the original Elite on Amiga

I remember on the A500 u could get 128 sprites on screen if you split the 8 sprites up vertically, but u could only have 8 on one row, i guess you can do a similar thing with the AGA chip set.

Those disks sound great, they make the CD32 worth buying just for those! i want to get that biplane game too. BIP i think it was called - would be great in 2 player mode
Old 19 January 2010, 01:37   #15
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

My memory is hazy but didnt the SNES/MD versions of Desert strike have straife/Jink which the amiga version was missing? Still a fantastic game on most platforms I have played it on.
Old 19 January 2010, 11:58   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I don't remember the MD version of Desert Strike having Strafe...

The three buttons were used for the 3 different weapons: Gun, Hydras, Hellfires.

Just had a little look online, and apparently the SNES version has Strafe. Lucky gits.
Old 19 January 2010, 12:18   #17
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>can i play these versions (obviously not the BBC version) on my CD32?

You can get BBC emulators that will run on the CD32. It might not run fast enough to be really playable though.
Old 21 January 2010, 19:45   #18
Gilbert

thanks thats ok, i can use the PC to emulate other machines. i do have the SNES version of Desert Strike, but its been ages since i played it. I think you can get Jungle Strike on the Playstation 1. I have Nucleur Strike on Playstation and that has strafe, i really like that game, you can control boats and tanks too. you can get some nice exterior camera views too.

I decided Elite 2 wasn't much good. lol. Why ever since the more powerful 3D machines shave come out has there been no new version of Elite? is shameful i heard Elite 4 is going into production (after The Outsider is finished). I think they need to focus on making the combat fun (like the original) as a base before making huge galaxies.
Old 21 January 2010, 20:12   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Why ever since the more powerful 3D machines shave come out has there been no new version of Elite? is shameful
There is the homebrew Oolite

I think the real reason there is no new Elite is they wanted to do a MMOSTG (Massive Multiplayer Online Space Trading Game) about six or seven years ago but Eve online stole their thunder.

Quote:
i heard Elite 4 is going into production (after The Outsider is finished).
They would be mad not to make it a pay-as-you-play MMOSTG. If done well it could easily make as much as World of WarCraft.
Old 24 January 2010, 22:24   #20
Gilbert

yes i heard of Eve Online but never played it. it should definitely be massively multiplayer, u are right, thats the way to go with it. oolite looks nice, i like those kind of simple games, where u know what you are doing straight away. i think it would be tempting to over-complicate something like Elite.
AdSense AdSense