English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 January 2010, 00:46   #21
pmc
rebooting...

With a bit more reading in those docs that Retro-Nerd posted a link for it looks like the cart also allows higher resolutions / more colours too.

This cart will definitely give some serious additional demo possibilities. Only thing I'm concerned about having used a Catweasel is that promised additional functionality and software updates from Individual aren't the best...

Still, gonna be a must buy for me.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 January 2010, 00:59   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The problem is that you have to send a valid test case to IC, otherwise there will be no fixes. Some people think that all possible bugs would be fixed magically in a new software update.
Old 04 January 2010, 01:00   #23
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Let's see if any demos come out once the Chameleon is reality.. The DTV has been out for a long time and basically only Streetuff has done a few demos for it.

A man can dream of course, but it's healthy to be just a little bit skeptical about these things.

Naturally if you guys intend to start coding for the Chameleon, then you have your money where your mouth is and my skepticism is uncalled for. ;-)
Old 04 January 2010, 01:14   #24
pmc
rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
A man can dream of course, but it's healthy to be just a little bit skeptical about these things.
Agreed.

Quote:
Naturally if you guys intend to start coding for the Chameleon, then you have your money where your mouth is and my skepticism is uncalled for. ;-)

I'd be up for trying to make a demo using that cart. Not sure the cart would enhance my C64 skills enough to make it worth watching though.

Quote:
The DTV has been out for a long time and basically only Streetuff has done a few demos for it.
Yeah, very few C64-DTV demos - however, doing serious work on that device does require modding it to interface with keyboards and other stuff which is a bit of a blocker in my opinion.

In the meantime - dig this TRSI DTV release (it'll run in the VICE DTV emu):

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=83196

I guarantee your jaw will drop more than once.
Old 04 January 2010, 06:47   #25
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post

If you want to play single files only (and nothing more), yes.
don't diss the sd2iec so fast. lot of games been patched for it, and continue being patched. (at least I hope so )

well, all in all chameleon is great hardware, but much too expensive. AFAIK, sceners don't like making stuff platform only a few people have, and you know the story with DTV, even it costs a fraction of chameleon and sold ... thousands (? not really sure how many DTVs been sold, but it should be a figure chameleon couldn't even dream of) very little scene stuff exists for DTV. But I think it also has to do with the fact that you actually need a hacked DTV to watch/make demos, so buying a DTV for 10 euros is not enough ...

anyway rant off, gotta go
Old 04 January 2010, 11:53   #26
pubzombie

I have a DTV. are they easy to hack?
Old 04 January 2010, 12:04   #27
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Yes they are.

http://jledger.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dtvhacking
http://picobay.com/dtv_wiki/index.php?title=DTV_Mods
Old 04 January 2010, 12:18   #28
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@all

Heres a youtubie of [ Show youtube player ], I would suggest turning down the sound as amazing gfx/cpu coders they are, their ability to program the synth leaves a lot to be desired on this one.

pretty amazing Doom/Maze environment, in 2mb C64 128 colour DTV... pretty hot stuff!! I would love to get my head round coding an engine like this in asm for the dtv, I would love to do a land of lore -remake-esque with lots of rpg elements. damn that would be cool!

and I have a DTV too, got it for 4.99 from QD's in town... bargin! I am going to build it into a a portable DVD player with a broken rom drive, so thats comming out, mobo and keyboard in, hookup to composhite later and job done portable DTV64 notebook =D
Old 04 January 2010, 12:23   #29
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

dankie's for the linkie's =D

I noticed this on the top link -

mine will be very similar but CBM white with logos and it has a micro-keyboard to go inplace as well as few sockets, a couple of 12volt flat Lithy batts + charger + somthing special +D
Old 04 January 2010, 13:26   #30
pmc
rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
I would suggest turning down the sound as amazing gfx/cpu coders they are, their ability to program the synth leaves a lot to be desired on this one.
In this particular case I think Jammer would've intended his tune to have a "dirty" sound...

Also, IIRC DTV has no support for SID filters.
Old 04 January 2010, 15:21   #31
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@pmc

I can only hope, it really doens't translate well on the target machine, if you compare it to another TRSI DTV64 Demo - [ Show youtube player ]

to be fair, yes there are no SID filter support, its evident in this DTV demo of some clasiic games

[ Show youtube player ]

I will say, that the sound is not as bad as the youtube makes out, however, interestingly the DTV (having 2MB) can achieve a Sample Playback of 22050hz -

[ Show youtube player ]

To express the lack of SID filters (and perhaps denote a fault my harsh critique of TRSI Misery 3 Music) heres some comparisons -

[ Show youtube player ] Vs [ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ] Vs [ Show youtube player ]

bottom line.... its all about the filters =D
Old 04 January 2010, 16:22   #32
pmc
rebooting...

Ghost In The Machine was a nice demo - thanks for pointing me towards that one Zetr0!

Ever tried loading that 22050Hz sample test demo on a real DTV or via emu...?

Takes a l-o-n-g time! So long in fact that it makes me wonder how hard the DTV has to work to do the playback - I'm no expert on it by any means but I doubt there's much raster time left to do anything jaw dropping at the same time.

In case you're interested - you should check out this prod which is for C64, not DTV:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=72678

You'll need to watch it on a real C64 to get the full benefit but these guys have written routines that play 8 bit samples back through the SID!

One of the tunes is a port of a .mod that was in Rebel's Vectory demo on the Amiga and it sounds exactly the same - amazing stuff.

Anyway - I'll stop posting off topic in this thread now.
Old 04 January 2010, 17:45   #33
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thats exactly what I want to do with my DTV, hack heaven, but without a storage medium that I can afford I`ll have to wait

nice demos by the way, makes me even sadder that my DTV is unhacked

so any suggestions as to the best storage device for the DTV and yes I would like the Chameleon but it is`nt out yet and will probable cost an arm and a leg when it dose
Old 04 January 2010, 19:00   #34
pmc
rebooting...

This link details ways of transferring data to and from the DTV CosmicFrog:

http://picobay.com/dtv_wiki/index.ph...ams_to_the_DTV

and this link gives details about an SD card based storage system that's compatible with the DTV:

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/SD2IEC

Hope any of this helps.
Old 04 January 2010, 19:32   #35
amigakit.com

We stock our C64 peripherals here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...hp?cPath=61_74

We will be stocking Chameleon 64 on product release.
Old 04 January 2010, 20:46   #36
pubzombie

Guys this forum never ceases to amaze me. when i started digging out all my retro stuff i never thought there would be a community like this. i am not a technical mind or a software mind come to that, and the breadth and depth of knowledge here is jaw dropping.
not sure my abilities are upto hacking a dtv
I have this C64TPC
http://www.cancarpet.com/saymantek/c64tpc_en.html
but cant get the laptop to talk to the 64
has anybody here tried one of these?
cheers dudes
steve
AdSense AdSense