English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 January 2010, 14:42   #201
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
Erm it is. Aros
Thanks for letting me know I have heard Aros mentioned before but i hardly keep abreast of anything Amiga related these days
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 January 2010, 16:11   #202
Jonathan Drain
YARDS NEED MORE BYTANIUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
x86 just doesnt seem in keeping with Amiga to me - high power consumption, high cpu temp, excessive power with little output and Aros, Amithlon ans Winuae already exist for x86 hardware but the Realy high prices of the current PPC boards also is not in Keeping with Amiga. Who Knows........................
Someone (I forget who) said that the PC is the new Amiga. I didn't believe it at first, but it's accurate. Both are or were technologically advanced, work as both a games console and a "serious" computer, and more expensive than competing consoles (which sell the hardware at a loss and take royalties from the software, and maintain tight control over publishing).

The PC is missing a lot of the low-budget user-friendly do-it-yourself spirit, but you still see that from time to time - free software, indy game development, and so on. I like to imagine that the Amiga in some part inspired it.
Old 12 January 2010, 17:44   #203
Retro1234

Intresting point of view
Old 19 January 2010, 17:46   #204
Escordian

I would be interested in the new Amigaone if they made a low budget version of it, the "x500"?

Since it's hard do dish out any money if your not sure how supported this system will be and I think a lot of people sitting on the fence will jump over for a cheap variant of the system.

Granted I don't know how much this system will cost but I imagine it wouldn't be the cheapest system out there, that's my way of thinking anyway.
Old 19 January 2010, 19:02   #205
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
is there an ETA on this yet
Old 19 January 2010, 19:09   #206
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escordian View Post
I would be interested in the new Amigaone if they made a low budget version of it, the "x500"?

Since it's hard do dish out any money if your not sure how supported this system will be and I think a lot of people sitting on the fence will jump over for a cheap variant of the system.

Granted I don't know how much this system will cost but I imagine it wouldn't be the cheapest system out there, that's my way of thinking anyway.
AmigaOne Ax500 could be a selling name.....
Old 19 January 2010, 19:45   #207
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
x86 just doesnt seem in keeping with Amiga to me - high power consumption, high cpu temp, excessive power with little output and Aros, Amithlon ans Winuae already exist for x86 hardware but the Realy high prices of the current PPC boards also is not in Keeping with Amiga. Who Knows........................
So you define Amiga as low cpu temperature and low power consumption ? There's me thinking it was all about the architecture (and the software). When i was shopping for my a500, I don't think the power it used or the running temp were on my list ;-)
Old 19 January 2010, 19:51   #208
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
My Bedroom was so cold back in the day that the heat from the power brick was essential for my toes!
Old 20 January 2010, 02:41   #209
Mangar
Got the fever back

The only clue to a release date was hyperion stating that it would be before the 25th anniversary of the A1000. So anytime prior to Mid-June I would assume.
Old 20 January 2010, 10:22   #210
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Well, they stated it would get cheaper before summer. So June seems unlikely.
Old 20 January 2010, 11:03   #211
Jonathan Drain
YARDS NEED MORE BYTANIUM

What was great about the Amiga was cutting edge multimedia hardware, a powerful user-friendly operating system, and a community that encouraged both professional and amateur developers. On hardware, I don't know that passive cooling is important: it's very difficult to be passive cooled and remain cutting edge.

In that sense, I think the Nintendo Wii is the most Amiga-like console. PowerPC processor, onboard graphics co-processor, backwardly compatible with its predecessor, takes advantage of technology (Bluetooth, SD), friendly OS, and even supports emulation of old systems directly. There's even a joyboard peripheral!
Old 22 January 2010, 03:15   #212
Hercules
Beer monster

Quote:
x86 just doesnt seem in keeping with Amiga to me - high power consumption, high cpu temp, excessive power with little output and Aros, Amithlon ans Winuae already exist for x86 hardware but the Realy high prices of the current PPC boards also is not in Keeping with Amiga. Who Knows...................
Yes, as you point out, x86 CPU's run at a higher voltage, so alas, they produce more heat, but they are cheap. Take a look at the Sam ep board that runs OS 4... then look at the price. I know what I want as I suspect most others are crying out for; performance to price ratio, and that is what x86 brings...

You however strangely compare Aros with Amithlon and WinUAE... Aros is NOT an emulator! Aros is a port of AmigaOS 3.1 that runs on x86 hardware. If you want to know how far Aros has came, it was in development before OS 4.0. OS 4.0 also differs from Aros in the development stage too; Aros is funded by donations (refered to as bounties) whereby the open source community donate money to help develop Aros, whereas AOS 4 is closed source (Hyperion hold the source code, and to whom produce bug fixes).

Open source always reigns supreme, since it uses a larger resource pool of users to help fix bugs. Oh and Aros is free (you only pay if you choose to donate to a bounty or to donate to the compilation of the Icaros live cd).
Old 22 January 2010, 11:14   #213
Retro1234

I was just saying PPC always gets ruled out but is commonly used today by consoles and for good reason - reason are obvious.
I was not comparing Aros, WinUae.............. only pointing out there are already ways of running Amiga or Amiga related OS on PC x86.

:Im also not defending or promoting any products

Last edited by Retro1234; 22 January 2010 at 11:19.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:53   #214
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
is there an ETA on this yet
Would you believe "Two more weeks....?"

Old 18 February 2010, 15:20   #215
iv-tecman

I'm fairly late to the party on this one... so bascially we're looking at getting a potential new Amiga in the coming year? I'll say year, as if being into Amiga's since 1991, you learn one thing.... Anything Amiga related either ends up being way too late, or not turning up at all....

I mean if only the Hombre chipset had been released...!! Along with many other Amiga related products we heard about, but never actually got to see or went into production..

As for PPC, Sony PS3 makes a rather tidy job using a PPC, so its not perhaps a totally bad idea.... I mean, re-writing OS4 for x86 would be a rather huge task, and I always thought Amiga was about not going now the PC clone route...

A new Amiga with PPC and custom programmable CPU and modern PCI with inclusion of Zorro would be a welcome return for many I would have thought..

However, the website looked like an april fools joke.. I got the Amiga humour..!! It was quite funny in a way, however it doesn't really tell you a lot, and its very cheap looking..

Still, I'll wait and see if this does actually happen.. *fingers crossed*

Old 24 February 2010, 11:38   #216
gilgamesh
Linux snob

A-EON and Hyperion announced a strategic partnership. Who would have thought

Seems like there will be a presentation of the machine in Juli.
Old 24 February 2010, 12:33   #217
chiark
Needs a life

Amiga Inc dies. A-EON and Hyperion partner... Who knows what happens next?
Old 27 February 2010, 19:16   #218
Shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
Go to the xmos website and read the literature on the chip. No FPU, very limited memory, low clock speed. Even with the number of threads available on the chip the host CPU will be far faster and have the benefit of being much simpler to code for. I think any special purpose hardware has to be capable of performing some task more efficiently than the host CPU. I think even a single core 1.6 ghz PPC will smoke it. People seem to be in a froth fantasising what they can do with an awesome 400 mips! Go and read Dave Haynie's comment on Amiga world.net.
I spent a few minutes at the XMOS web site. The XMOS cores aren't going to be breaking any benchmark records, BUT, they seem ideally suited (low latency state machines and interrupt servicing) to offloading mundane and esoteric tasks from the system CPU, which is exactly what differentiated the Amiga from other systems of the time.

Also, mentioned earlier in the thread about latencies, not all architectures suffer from huge interrupt latencies; for instance, the PIC32MX microcontrollers have an entire shadow register set available for interrupts, meaning that there is none of the typical processor state save/load overhead.
Old 05 March 2010, 05:00   #219
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
No, that is not a true amiga, sorry, its Amiga like, but its not a True Amiga.
- But, if you want to delude yourself, please don't let me stop you.
A true Amiga replacement would have a wonderful OS (can see where the AROS bit comes in) but also be capable of playing games superior to ANY console money can buy by a massive margin and yet be a more powerful and reliable creative tool than the most expensive Mac/Windows PC money can buy too. And it should still cost less due to not bending over backwards to use industry standard Intel 'technology'

No such machine has existed since 1985 with the Amiga 1000. The A4000 and A1200 were not technically better than the best PC/Mac money can buy launched the same year and the A1200 was graphically less sophisticated than the 1989 Sega Megadrive or Nintendo SNES....A500 and A2000 the same thing in new boxes, and the A3000 pretty much hampered with the ECS audio/visual chipset under the hood.

This all makes sense of course when you realise the A1000 was bought more or less complete....but the others were all 100% Commodore projects
Old 05 March 2010, 05:17   #220
NovaCoder

For those that are interested, A-EON recently released this Frequently Asked Questions and information.

It's got me thinking, this company has been setup to make hardware specifically for OS4 (if successful the X1000 will obviously just be the start in a new line).

Now if things go bad and they fail for to sell in 'reasonable' numbers for whatever reason, what will this mean to Hyperion and OS4? I think they are taking a real gamble here (which I guess they had to), if it all comes crashing down then I assume that OS4 development will effectively die with supporters moving over to the alternatives.

I guess they weren't getting very far with ACube and wanted to take a more active role (software and hardware designed to work together along with control of pricing/marketing).

If the X1000 is a success then I don't see how ACube can stay in the 'market', actually I think they'll probably pull out now whatever happens.

Pass the popcorn, these are interesting times

Last edited by NovaCoder; 02 June 2010 at 05:47.
AdSense AdSense