English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 May 2011, 19:36   #121
Nipedley

I was at the right age growing up where I had the pick of my brother's game systems, my firm favourites were the Amiga 500 and the Megadrive. Snes never really did it for me though I did enjoy Donkey Kong Country.

Nintendo however had me with the original Gameboy, and I absolutely adored the Nintendo 64 when it was released.

To this day I still have an Amiga 1200 next to me on my desk, and a Megadrive (with Mega CD) on my bedside table
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 May 2011, 22:05   #122
x56h34

Tough choice...

As a gamer, I'd say both systems are needed in one's collection.

Technically, the SNES was a bit superior to MegaDrive/Genesis, however some games that exist on both systems were better on one or the other, depending of the game.

Some exclusive MegaDrive/Genesis games were remarkably well done. VectorMan, Sonic, Comix Zone, Contra...Final Fight CD, All those Sega CD RPGs...

Same goes for the SNES. DKC series, Marios, TMNT, etc.

Like I said, a real gamer needs both systems. :-)

Old 09 May 2011, 23:49   #123
Skope
Protracker

SNES all the way baby yeeeah! If they'd only built an Amiga wedge style computer out of the SNES hw... ahem...

Seiken Densetsu 3 does it for me, aswell as Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. Not to forget FF6 and... and... ahh there's just too many reasons to go for SNES.

Last edited by Skope; 09 May 2011 at 23:55.
Old 10 May 2011, 04:55   #124
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

The Mega Drive has Blast Processing. The SNES rides home on the back of an ice cream truck. Clearly the Mega Drive must be the best!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 May 2011, 09:41   #125
LuMan
Amigan - an loving it!!

I've got a number of each in my collection at the moment (2xSNES, 4xMD) and both platforms get used equally.

Back in the day, though, I had a MD and played it to death (Desert Strike, Crackdown, EASN PGA Golf, Streets Of Rage), but my pal had a SNES and the Mode 7 graphics blew us away (especially Street Fighter II, Super Star Wars and Super Mario Kart)!!

I totally agree with x56h34 - a real gamer MUST have both systems
Old 10 May 2011, 19:17   #126
mikele

gotta agree with you guys, for ultimate early 90s gaming experience you'd need to have three systems - SNES, Mega Drive and of course Amiga. Imagine late night "kick ass" marathon - there's Batman Returns cart in your SNES, Streets of Rage 2 on MD just around a corner and floppies with Franko: Crazy Revenge next to your Amiga
Old 10 May 2011, 19:21   #127
s2325
Zone Friend

or embarassing Batman Returns for Amiga
Old 10 May 2011, 20:15   #128
Monsterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
gotta agree with you guys, for ultimate early 90s gaming experience you'd need to have three systems - SNES, Mega Drive and of course Amiga. Imagine late night "kick ass" marathon - there's Batman Returns cart in your SNES, Streets of Rage 2 on MD just around a corner and floppies with Franko: Crazy Revenge next to your Amiga

This. And this is what we did exactly, a weekend with a couple of amigas and a snes and megadrive connected somewhere in the livingroom at whoevers parents where out for the weekend
Old 11 May 2011, 08:13   #129
mikele

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
or embarassing Batman Returns for Amiga
that would make a great party drinking game instead. Everyone takes a shot of alcohol everytime player loses life/game ends.
Old 11 May 2011, 13:20   #130
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
Franko: Crazy Revenge next to your Amiga

Don't tell me Franko is here too....arrrggghghghg
Old 17 May 2011, 23:54   #131
JudasEZT

Megadrive sound is very ugly. It sounds like a crazy atari st in steroids.. Just music maestros made good tunes for this console: JesperKyd in Subterrainia, and Tim Follin in the unreleased TimeTrax. Follin probably is the best musician of every format available.

SNES sounds rather good, I love this tune:
[ Show youtube player ]

the tune is progressing without hurry, then at 1:15 its simply great!!
much richer than anything a Megadrive may do.

anyway, Amiga has better tracks than both consoles together.
Old 18 May 2011, 21:15   #132
Adropac2
Zone Friend

All three have rich music examples and i'd have to disagree that sound is ugly on MD- limited perhaps in that it has that signature MD sound but i happen to love that sound

Amiga has a great amount of stunning tunes from some top tunesmiths but for the most, it's largely chord and arpeggio work learned from the bedroom.That is to say much of music produced this way is easier to spot as sequenced- certainly a lot of demo anyway .An artist as good as Chris Huelsbeck however while still heavily driven by patterns a lot of the time for making up a body, still has this very deep understanding for theme- even if made from just a series of pattern blocks. It's only a small percentage of music that ever seemed written this way by just a few really talented artists at the time

Both Megadrive and Snes have better orchestrated structures written in a true music form by those that know the art of music in that classical sense

I tend to favour a lot of Amiga music but for that truly professionally constructed stuff, you mostly only got that on console music.Does that make it better to listen to? probably not always but i can certainly get a little burned out on Amiga bedroom pieces. With exeptions of course, they are usually extremely impressive yet mostly alway scale/block based to the point it can sometimes wear thin
Old 19 May 2011, 13:56   #133
JudasEZT

I agree respect bedroom thingie,.. same you say of music its also applied on graphics and coding. ( even coding is a bedroom computer word, because programming would be more professional.)

But its a good thing to release "new" styles and not the same academic style over and over. Good underground thing tend to have more 'heart' than boring installed people making formulaic styles.

Last edited by JudasEZT; 19 May 2011 at 14:41.
Old 28 March 2013, 23:19   #134
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I just stumbled across some videos of an unreleased SNES game, Green Lantern and the music is bloody fecking amazing.

Seriously, this is some of the best guitar samples I've ever heard on any 16-bit system.
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Dean Evans, the composer:
Quote:
We originally used a more awkward system and the Nintendo dev tools and I personally found it awkward to get anything decent out of this system. Myself, Barry Leitch and Keith Tinman designed MEDIT and the PC editor was programmed by Leslie Long and it was Jonathan's (Dunn) SNES driver that played the music on the SNES.
It was with this driver we were able to do a fair bit more with the SNES chip and include fancy effects and tricks in our music
AdSense AdSense