English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 December 2009, 15:00   #1
Cammy

Cheap Amiga-compatible LCD Monitor/TV in Australia

Hello fellow Australians, if any of you are on the look out for a new LCD monitor for your Amiga, there may be a very suitable one coming out at Aldi next week (Monday 21st). I'm hoping that it's one of the models with a built-in flicker fixer, so it would be perfect to use with an RGB-S-Video adapter from AmigaManiac, or even better for Indivisions using HighGFX because it will hopefully show a 1024x768 screen without stretching it, provided you can switch it between 4x3 and 16x9. The native resolution is 1366x768, and it's a widescreen monitor.

I know a lot depends on how it turns out, but Aldi have a good refund policy so if it's no good you can take it back. It's just that every time they have a special this good, they sell out early on the day the sale starts.

Anyway, the monitors are 15.6" black, white or pink HD LCD TVs with built-in HD tuner, S-Video, VGA, HDMI, Component and AV inputs, they have a great energy rating, and they're only $199.

Here's more info if you wanna check them out, I'm planning on getting one so I can give back the monitor I've been borrowing for nearly a year. Thanks Gran for the Christmas money

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/58_11302.htm

Last edited by Cammy; 25 February 2010 at 20:43.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 December 2009, 11:49   #2
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
With any luck I'll be picking one of these up in the morning. I hope it will display 1024x768 without stretching, even if it has black borders down the sides, it'll make it perfect for my HighGFX Workbench.
Old 20 December 2009, 12:04   #3
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

I just noticed that the special for these TVs is the 26th now, not the 21st. I'm still going down to check if they're there tomorrow though.
Old 20 December 2009, 12:42   #4
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Hi Cammy/Rebel,

J+B actually have one the same size with a DVD player as well:
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-...-player-65160/

bit more expensive though..

Red
Old 21 December 2009, 01:38   #5
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

I checked out these TVs at JB HiFi today, and unfortunately they don't have S-Video on them. They have VGA and Composite, but I wouldn't want to run my Workbench through composite. Damn good deal though, apart from it being slightly too limited. It'd still make a good caravan TV.
Old 26 December 2009, 01:11   #6
Cammy

DON'T GET ONE!!!

They can pick up PAL and NTSC modes and they display nicely with no flicker in interlace, but every five seconds the whole screen shudders! I think it's a problem with the built-in flicker fixer, but it happens on both the TVs I tested.

It also can not pick up the Indivision's HighGFX mode so they're pretty much completely useless as an Amiga monitor.

Sorry everyone.
Old 26 December 2009, 02:03   #7
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

After a little bit of testing, I've found that these monitors do accept a signal from the Indivision, but only in 1.25 mode, so all games will look like jerky shit through it unless you switch to Composite mode, which does seem to work fine from the Amiga's internal composite output.

When using one of the S-Video adapters from AmigaManiac (the V1.0 model) there is a stutter in the screen, making it jump a little bit every five seconds or so. This happens with both S-Video and Composite from this adapter, but there is no jump from the Amiga's composite output.

So it's not completely useless, it's just far from ideal.

When outputting 1024x768 into this monitor, it shows all 768 lines without stretching or interpolation, but horiztonally it still interpolates the display, even in 4:3 mode. It's barely noticable to most people, but to a pixel artist it's unacceptable. Why this monitor can't display a true 1x1 pixel-for-pixel 1024x768 mode is beyond me, you'd think they'd at least make it accept this resolution natively, but it still thinks it needs to blur it a little.

My CD32 is buggered so I'm not sure if I'll be able to test the S-Video output through that on here, but I have a feeling I won't see the stuttering that we saw with the RGB-S-Video adaper.

I really hope there's a way around this, maybe the new V2.0 adapers will work better with monitors like this.
Old 26 December 2009, 02:15   #8
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Okay, I have now tested it with a CD32 and there is no stuttering!

Therefore these monitors seem to be fine for some Amiga usage. I just really hope the new batch of S-Video adapters fix this stuttering problem.
Old 26 December 2009, 05:28   #9
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Fuck, I had a single dead pixel on my monitor, so I took it back to exchange it for the only one they had left, and it has a fucking huge bright spot an inch wide at the bottom of the screen. Now I can't get back there to swap it back for the dead pixel one, this is much worse and I'm stuck with it. Tough fucking luck, huh.

Sorry but I had to get that out.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:09   #10
Jonathan Drain
YARDS NEED MORE BYTANIUM

It sometimes fixes an LCD screen to leave it switched on at an all-white screen for a while.
Old 26 December 2009, 09:24   #11
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Thanks Jonathan, this is exactly what I tried after I had my whinge. I left it on for about an hour with no luck, but I'll try leaving it on overnight with a white screen and see if it helps.
Old 26 December 2009, 15:11   #12
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

I took a photo of the monitor running in HighGFX 1024x768 mode, in 4:3 (hence the black borders). The display is nice and crisp, it has the right amount of lines but there's still a small amount of interpolation horizontally, but nowhere near as bad as it was on a 1280x1024 monitor.

You can see the glowy spot down towards the bottom of the screen in the task bar area under EaglePlayer. Please excuse my GUI theme, it's a bit mixed up at the moment while I experiment with a few things.

Old 24 February 2010, 12:34   #13
mully

So has anyone seen any current TV or monitor around the 22" mark in Australia with that s-video input. It seems to be absent from anything I've seen recently in JB HiFi or eBay - probably a sign of technology moving on. I've got one of AmigaManiac's great s-video adaptors and would rather use than than lose more space and power socket with an RGB-VGA converter.
Old 02 March 2010, 01:57   #14
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

I have a couple of CRT 21" VGA monitors , With a scan doubler would you end up with a better picture than the S-video tv setup ?
Old 02 March 2010, 01:58   #15
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
I took a photo of the monitor running in HighGFX 1024x768 mode, in 4:3 (hence the black borders). The display is nice and crisp, it has the right amount of lines but there's still a small amount of interpolation horizontally, but nowhere near as bad as it was on a 1280x1024 monitor.

You can see the glowy spot down towards the bottom of the screen in the task bar area under EaglePlayer. Please excuse my GUI theme, it's a bit mixed up at the moment while I experiment with a few things.

What Amiga/WB are you running with this tv ?
Old 29 September 2010, 16:57   #16
Matt020

Yo, just following up to see if anyone in AUS has come across any Amiga suitable LCD displays?

Matt.
AdSense AdSense