English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 December 2009, 00:30   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Hi there prowler,
that's the information I read the other day, I couldn't recall which thread you had put it on but I knew that is was on this site
Hi Allen1,
Don't worry. The problems that arise when formatting 1.44MB floppies for use in an Amiga's 880kB floppy drive have been discussed many times in various threads on EAB. I have posted that or similar information on several occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
I got transferred to an earlier post when I sent the last reply, somehow the system thought it was a duplicate posting?
That has happened to me as well. Usually it's when I have hit the 'Submit Reply' button a second time, because the reponse to my original request has been a little slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah View Post
Well, I tried formating under winXP/98 and it got stuck.
It works for me here under WinXP SP2.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 December 2009, 00:50   #22
misjah

Great, Samsung card is actually working now. I didn`t change anything...
Old 20 December 2009, 00:58   #23
Allen1

Hi there prowler,

the floppy idea may have saved me some time transferring fat95 and cfd plus the hard drive formatting program via the serial port if I had looked when I done the CF drives on the 1200 and 600, thankfully I transferred them to an Amiga floppy ready to use on the 600.

misjah,
On the 1200 I got some games to work but it has 2MB of Ram, I have since bought a 2MB SRAM card for the PCMCIA slot and a hell of a lot more games play great, even some CD32 and AGA titles. I think the thing to do for ease is to buy a similar sort of card, you can then place the games you like on your hard drive from the Compact Flash transfer card and then use the memory card to allow you to play games. That is why I bought my card but I am having to much fun on the 1200 and haven't even tried it out on the 600 yet

You will also notice that using the CF card via the PCMCIA slot uses memory because you need to run the CFD/CF0 program, that is why it would be better to run the games from the hard drive, I have just about given up on the trapdoor expansion for the 600 as its typically around 20 to 25 plus postage for a 1MB expansion card (if you can get one).

The soldering chips idea is handy unless your soldering skills are poor and you damage a chip while soldering it or snap a leg off while preforming them etc. If anything went seriously wrong though there are often motherboards for both the 1200 and 600 on ebay.

"Great, Samsung card is actually working now. I didn`t change anything..."

That's great news have you tried rebooting to see if it is still ok?

Last edited by Allen1; 20 December 2009 at 01:08.
Old 20 December 2009, 01:07   #24
misjah

Well, that`s a lot of money for unemployed student . I`ve done a lot of different hardware mods, that`s actually my main hobby - collecting, fixing and changing old computers and consoles. If I find some tutorial/schematic for this kind of upgrade I will probably do it.
Old 20 December 2009, 01:35   #25
Allen1

Electronics is a good hobby, I remember modding my PS1and later my Xbox. I even made my own single sided circuit boards to use in fairground rides for the light sequences, they had the program stored on eprom mainly 16k ones but sometimes 128k.

Nowadays I manage to do the odd thing but my eyesight is not up to the job and piggy backing those small memory chips on the Amiga 600 would be oh so easy to create solder bridges on, even with loads of liquid flux, I wasn't a bad solderer but I have seen what an expert can do and boy what a difference
Old 27 December 2009, 19:08   #26
misjah

I did it! I had to buy a new soldering iron since I left my old one over the night and it burned, literary .
It`s a bit messy but it works:

I tried a few Whdload games and everything is fine for now.

Last edited by misjah; 27 December 2009 at 19:23.
Old 27 December 2009, 20:04   #27
Allen1

It is good to see that you managed it, what chips did you use, the ones I have seen in a couple of posts look like 256K instead of 512k that I would have expected. On the other posts, the unused legs were bent under the dip as were the legs with the soldered on wires, it was also mentioned that the floppy drive screw can cause a short as it may come into contact with the nearest dip and either the removal of the screw or some hefty insulation tape were required to stop the risk of a connection/short.

Good on you M8
Old 27 December 2009, 20:14   #28
misjah

I wanted to remove floppy completely before all this (and use external if needed). The only problem is that when there is no floppy attached WB stops responding after finishing boot process. The cursor is in ''clock/loading'' mode all the time and nothing happens. This is probably because I copied MS0 and MS1 for automount. Will try again when remove them.
There was also problem when both external and internal floppy drives are attached, RAM is back to 1MB!?
Is there any way to ''trick'' external floppy to work like DF0 since It`s not possible to boot from it directly. (even when there is no HDD and DF0 attached to the board)

I used EDO Ram chips (512KB) from some S3 trio PCI graphic card. OKI Japan is manufacturer.
Old 27 December 2009, 20:36   #29
Allen1

I think removing the MS0 and MS1 from auto starting could allow the hard drive to finish booting, I believe that even with a broken floppy drive that the system would still boot although that has never been experienced by myself as my drives do work. I would re-check the soldered joints and also double check that the loose legs are not connected or making a connection which can be easy to miss. There shouldn't be a reason to lose the memory when the floppy is connected as that is how others have been using the upgrade.
Old 27 December 2009, 20:49   #30
misjah

Yes, that did the trick, WB boots ok and the RAM is working good with any floppy drive attached. I probably remembered dropping to 1MB when I tried system for the first time. Everything is ok fter resoldering some loose legs.
Old 27 December 2009, 21:00   #31
Allen1

If you can still get to the chips and wires, now would be a good time to use some hot glue to tack the wires in place.
Old 27 December 2009, 21:13   #32
misjah

For sure, I will secure everything, but for now it stays open until I decide which HDD to put inside. The one I have at the moment is experimental and for educational purposes only, since it has some bad sectors. (it`s working fine for now)
Old 27 December 2009, 22:23   #33
Allen1

If that's the case then maybe an opportunity to try the CF hard drive solution, you already have the ide cable and only need the CF to 44 pin IDE adapter and a spare CF card, I got my adapter from Ebay and a Hong Kong seller, free posting and around a 1 each, they took 2 weeks to arrive but well worth the wait
Old 27 December 2009, 22:38   #34
misjah

I found in local ''trading'' site a guy who is selling CF to both 2.5 and 3.5 inch ide adapter, he also sells 384 MB SanDisk CF cards, which are probably compatible with Amiga. I will probably contact him if I find some time since I`m building some Mame32 based Arcade cabinets. Joysticks and fire buttons I ordered are here, just need to finish drawing cabinet and cutting the ''box''. Pretty busy these days...
Old 27 December 2009, 23:01   #35
Allen1

That sounds good for both the adapters and card and good luck with the wiring of the buttons and sticks as for cutting out the cabinets I am absolutely useless at cutting straight lines or following contours and that was before I needed glasses

All the best with your project and don't feed the saw any fingers!
Old 27 December 2009, 23:08   #36
misjah

Ha ha, thanx. The main job is for real carpenter, I`m just drilling holes for switches and stuff and placing electronics inside.
Old 27 December 2009, 23:24   #37
Allen1

Ah Ha that's not so bad but remember that drills are also partial to the odd finger or even a hand and will even snap just to get a taste when you are holding the work-piece nice and secure!
AdSense AdSense