English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 07 December 2009, 23:36   #1
spookt

Smile Hello

Hi All

I just got my A1200 out of the loft and and started looking for info so thought I'd say "Hi". My machine has a Blizzard 1230 IV '030 with 4Mb of extra RAM, 400Mb HDD and as it turned out a busted PSU So after I hacked up an ATX supply I booted her up and I was hooked again!

I seem to have forgotten lots, and I guess since the last time I saw Workbench on this machine was in the late 90's, things have moved on somewhat

I'm a big Atari 8bit fan and spend way too much money on that so now it looks like I have two habits to feed

Anyway I want to get the A1200 up to whatever modern spec is, possibly connecting up to my home network, trying to get the best image quality etc and most importantly playing loads of games so expect loads of dumb questions soon

BTW - is there a good FAQ somewhere that might help me ask fewer of the obvious noob stuff ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 December 2009, 23:49   #2
Graham Humphrey

Hello, good evening and welcome to EAB

You could try the Wiki for some of the more common stuff, or just use the search function here as so much stuff has been covered down the years - but don't hesitate in posting any questions if you aren't sure, we're a friendly bunch here and people usually get answers pretty damn fast.

Enjoy rediscovering the Amiga
Old 07 December 2009, 23:49   #3
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Reynolds
Hi,

Welcome aboard.
You have a nice little system although if you'll spend a bit more time with it, you'll see quite soon that your HDD size is simply too small for all the goodies what you could see on your machine.
There are some good solutions to use CF cards for example and some ways to use bigger HDD-s as well.
To be honest I don't know if there's a session for beginners, as I'm living with my Miggies since '92, so I forgot more than enough... no... I know almost every basic things what is needed for my probs to solve.
BTW I think the best way could be if you seek through the topics and then asking questions in any issues. Then you'll get solution or link to the right topic

Enjoy your stay here
Old 07 December 2009, 23:50   #4
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Reynolds
Ehh.. I thought that I can be the first here :P
Old 08 December 2009, 00:06   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Welcome aboard spookt

I'm sure you'll enjoy rediscovering the A1200, with a little help from here and there
Old 08 December 2009, 00:14   #6
spookt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Hello, good evening and welcome to EAB

You could try the Wiki for some of the more common stuff, or just use the search function here as so much stuff has been covered down the years - but don't hesitate in posting any questions if you aren't sure, we're a friendly bunch here and people usually get answers pretty damn fast.

Enjoy rediscovering the Amiga
Ah - a wiki - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I guess I have some reading to do (and thanks for the warm welcome so far guys )
Old 08 December 2009, 00:15   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi, spookt, and wecome to EAB!

You'll need those hacking skills for the best upgrades.
Old 08 December 2009, 02:27   #8
Cammy

Heya spookt, welcome back into the world of Amiga. You have a very desirable setup, and so much software will run on it. Are you interested more in games, or would you like to set up a nice, productive Workbench full of fun and useful applications? You definitely should get a cheap PCMCIA network card and get your A1200 online! Also try and get 32MB or more of RAM, and an IDE-CF adapter with internal 4GB CF card, and a PCMCIA multicard reader for reading cheaper, more available SD cards.

If you get your A1200 set up online we can play Dynamite and other online games against each other.
Old 08 December 2009, 10:30   #9
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Welcome, i'm also just getting back in to the Amiga scene, and enjoying it

as said a hd either cf/2.5 ide is the first step i reckon, i also plan an accelerator card, 3.1 rom's, and a cd drive

Enjoy the forum

Chris
Old 08 December 2009, 10:42   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
oh more new blood to feed on hahahahahahhahahhaha
enjoy ya stay theres lots to do and see round these parts
Old 12 December 2009, 22:49   #11
spookt

Thought I'd give you an update on a week's progress.

My A1200 is now booting from a CF card runinng ClassicWB Full. I've been playing around with WHDLoad and registered it since I seem to be using it all the time. I've also bought a SCSI kit for my Blizzard 1230 from a seller here - just waiting for it to arrive. I have a CDRom and a ZIP drive waiting to be played with.

I also have the Amiga hooked up to the PC and I've upgraded to the new version of Amiga Forver from version 3.0! Used Amiga Explorer to transfer ADFs to the 1200 so I could partition my CF card.

I have to say that I couldn't have done it without the wealth of great info here so thanks to all who contribute. If I'd known there was this much fun to be had I'd have got the miggy out of the loft years ago!
Old 12 December 2009, 22:55   #12
kriz

Great !! Welcome and keep posting updates and questions
Old 12 December 2009, 22:56   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookt View Post
I have to say that I couldn't have done it without the wealth of great info here so thanks to all who contribute. If I'd known there was this much fun to be had I'd have got the miggy out of the loft years ago!
Your Amiga has just bitten you back for leaving it in the loft all those years!
Old 19 December 2009, 12:37   #14
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookt View Post
Thought I'd give you an update on a week's progress.

My A1200 is now booting from a CF card runinng ClassicWB Full. I've been playing around with WHDLoad and registered it since I seem to be using it all the time. I've also bought a SCSI kit for my Blizzard 1230 from a seller here - just waiting for it to arrive. I have a CDRom and a ZIP drive waiting to be played with.

I also have the Amiga hooked up to the PC and I've upgraded to the new version of Amiga Forver from version 3.0! Used Amiga Explorer to transfer ADFs to the 1200 so I could partition my CF card.

Glad it's going well
AdSense AdSense