English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 November 2009, 15:53   #1
Matt's look at WoW and earlier MUDs and MMOs

Hi, guys, did something kinda wacky this week and plunged into the world of MMOs. I've got some footage here from Ultima Online, Everquest, Meridian 59, and two different MUDs (as well as WoW, of course). It's amazing that even these early games are still online (particularly M59, which I didn't realize had a similar feel to the later Might and Magic games, which I loved). I was also quite taken with Forgotten World, a remake of the famous Neverwinter Nights Online game that ran on AOL back in the 90s. It's also amazing (to me, at least) that WoW is now celebrating its 5th year anniversary--Blizzard builds games that stand the test of time.

At any rate, hope you enjoy the video. It's a two parter; the second part is a live recording of my friend Max and I playing the game and talking over Ventrilo.

[ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 November 2009, 17:45   #2
Unemployed & Lovin' it
I watched this earlier, good video Matt - looking forward to part II

This video is as close to this game as I really want to get... I think I spend enough time playing video games as it is, if I start start messing with games like WoW I would probably never see the light of day again.
Old 29 November 2009, 01:27   #3
cheeky scoundrel
love this review. Good for the interested (younger) crowds to see what predated WoW. Not that it will create any understanding for what gaming is really about most likely, but still a nice piece of history nonetheless
Old 29 November 2009, 02:01   #4
WoW seems to be one of those games that you either love or hate. I used to look down on people who played it and raved about it, thinking they were ignorant of good gaming. When I finally gave it a go, I kept thinking "What's the big deal???" Gradually, though, I was playing it more and more and finally just gave in and admitted to myself that I loved the game very much, despite its faults. I think it's the kind of thing that people will talk about 20 or maybe even 30 years from now, sort of like smart folks go on and on about the glory days of the Amiga now. :P
Old 07 December 2009, 21:08   #5
Linux snob

Never tried a single MMORPG, because of the regular fees and the amount of time they eat up. But then there were definitely tempting ones like DarkSun: Crimson Sands, UO, ...

But the best projects probably got cancelled before they went online. PS:Torment was to have a multiplayer follow up.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 07 December 2009 at 21:14.
AdSense AdSense