English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 November 2009, 20:28   #1
antonvaltaz

An embarrassment of riches

Does anyone else find that the problem with retrogaming is the overabundance of games, and deciding just what to play - since there is no way to have time to play more than a fraction of what's on offer?

Back in the day you'd not only have more time with less responsibilities, but access to far fewer games - even if you copied them, you were limited to what your mates had.

Now with every old game ever readily available, all too often my indecision means I don't really 'get into' a game properly, as I play something for a few minutes but want to try something else too...
Old 26 November 2009, 20:34   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Sometimes less is indeed more When I started with emulation I didn't know about TOSEC and grabbed the games from everywhere. I then tried to make them run and when it worked, would also give it a fair shot. Turned out that I missed some really good games 'back in the day' (tm) Now I try to focus on one or two games, but if I get annoyed with one I usually just stop playing it instead of forcing myself to get through it. That's the snobbish side of it I guess, because there are still loads of games to be played
Old 26 November 2009, 20:49   #3
Thorham
Computer Nerd

There are of course a lot of games that aren't worth your time at all. Those can be skipped easily. As you probably know, HOL has magazine reviews for most Amiga games, and that could save you a lot of time. I usually think of what kind of game I want to play, and then I look up suitable ones on HOL.
Old 26 November 2009, 21:22   #4
antonvaltaz

I have to say, I absolutely love the HoL and AMR sites (along with Lemon Amiga, if that's not heresy on EAB!), but I certainly don't find they make it any easier for me to be decisive - instead, they always remind me of forgotten classics or lead me to discover some hidden gem - so I end up being even less sure how to spend my precious little retrogaming time! :-)
Old 26 November 2009, 22:52   #5
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Yes i often find myself trying to decide what to play from my huge Wangipad-gamelist, but i've learned to focus on a few games at a time...until i decide to fiddle with some more and more games . At some point it's safe to return to some classics, like OrkAttack, IK+, R-Type, Double Dragon 2, SWIV etc. the list is almost stupidly large!
Old 27 November 2009, 07:54   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I wait till someone suggests a game on here that I`ve never seen or played then i go and try it out if it looks intresting, what i like though is if I had the originals of all the retro games I have I would`t be able to get in the flat for all the boxes
Old 27 November 2009, 10:56   #7
Jope
-

I mainly play the same games as I used to as a kid. The vast libraries of games are useful when you have a retrogaming session with someone else. Their favourites are often different, and you might be introduced to some gems.

Then again, I don't have these systems mainly for retrogaming, so I'm probably not the person to ask anyway. :-)
Old 27 November 2009, 11:37   #8
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
I mainly play the same games as I used to as a kid.
Me too, on regular basis I play only the games I played in the "golden age" no hidden gems I did not know back then for me. Maybe I am too old to get into an Amiga game (got used to more advanced games, better gfx etc) or maybe I just knew the best titles and if something was obscure it was mostly because it was just bad... 90's piracy provided good selection.
Old 27 November 2009, 11:37   #9
BrooksterMax

Yes definitely I have the same issue, I can play a game for 5 mins or so then move on to the next because of the huge library available to me.

I also find it difficult to balance with the new games that I have on my 360. There is only so much time!
Old 27 November 2009, 11:54   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post
Yes definitely I have the same issue, I can play a game for 5 mins or so then move on to the next because of the huge library available to me.

I also find it difficult to balance with the new games that I have on my 360. There is only so much time!
+1
Old 27 November 2009, 12:20   #11
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Yes, I certainly have that issue. With such an overabundance of games, and with even more titles available with a click of the mouse, I sometimes feel swamped and overwhelmed.

And that's just trying to play and experience the (long list of) titles that I like, let alone attempting to complete them.

It was better when I was a kid, and my focus was aimed at a couple of games at a time, purely because I didn't have that many games, and I never knew when the next new game would arrive. I would even concentrate on titles that I didn't particularly like, just because it was there and there were no other titles to snare my interest away. In doing so, I'd develop a love for games I'd originally dismissed.

I also have the same issue with PC games at the present moment. My hard drives are loaded and nearing saturation point.
Old 28 November 2009, 04:00   #12
Dan Locke

I know exactly what you mean. I'll go through a game database and download every game that catches my attention in the slightest, then get through about a level in each one before moving on to the next. It doesn't help that the ability to use savestates has turned me into an ultra-perfectionist.