English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10 November 2009, 00:09   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Is this the most tragic Amiga story ever!?

I was perusing the last CU Amiga CD and came across some reader letters.

This one has got to be the saddest most hilarious Amiga story that I have read in ages... The CU Amiga team must have been in stitches reading it.

Having read it several times now, I cant decide if it was the grammar, the spelling or the subject that amused me most...

You gotta feel for the numpty who wrote it though... Wonder if he ever figured it all out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	letter4p1.gif
Views:	531
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	23220   Click image for larger version

Name:	letter4p2.gif
Views:	434
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	23221   Click image for larger version

Name:	letter4p3.gif
Views:	436
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	23222  
DDNI is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 November 2009, 00:44   #2
WayneK
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere secret
Age: 43
Posts: 241
Haha... that has to be a setup tho (the "probably because of my speeling" bit was just too much), but it still made me laugh
WayneK is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 00:52   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 40
Posts: 7,175
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
got swapped his A500 for an A1000, poor guy
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:17   #4
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
It had to say... Peter at the end!!!
Peter is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:23   #5
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Was that you Peter? (sorry, but I had to ask)
TCD is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:28   #6
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
It had to say... Peter at the end!!!

AND Still unemployed
DDNI is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:28   #7
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
NO...!

My spellllign is worse than that...
Peter is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:30   #8
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Tis not Peter Really
TCD is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:49   #9
asm1
Registered User
asm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 637
Unhappy

so he swapped his Amiga 500 and 50 for an Amiga 1000 that ran on a 110 V powersupply.... that much I worked out.

I first thought it must be a setup

1) He had an A500, which I assume he knew how to use.
2) Because of 1) above surely he would have accumulated some "knowledge" with regard to Amigas and how they work.
3) Is an Amiga 1000 THAT different to an A500 to get going ?

Then I thought the following

4) The "electronics retailer" who sold him the thing..... probably wouldn't have the foggiest about how it worked, so I can understand (slightly) how they couldn't help much after the sale.
5) In 1996 I was 16 at school and saving 50 was HARD work (I didn't / couldn't have a "job").

Anyone ever think of this:

Maybe the poor guy had some sort of condition (Dyslexia springs to mind) or perhaps he was mentally handicapped in some way which meant that his writing/spelling/memory etc weren't very good. In which case I can empathise /sympathise with his pleas for help... he probably didn't know where else to go

So yeah all very funny and har de har. But what if its true? is he really deserving of such derision ? Phoning "companies" can be bloody difficult if you struggle to communicate or understand.

If its a setup then bollox... but if its true he has my heartfelt sympathies... poor sod.

and shame on you lot for mocking someone less forunate......... "Numpty" aint very nice if he's mentally handicapped is it ?
asm1 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 01:59   #10
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
LOL !!



Get a grip...
DDNI is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:05   #11
asm1
Registered User
asm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 637
How am I over reacting ? you seem determined to take the piss out of something you obviously dont have a clue about ? Yes the spellings crap... so ? Its funny because you choose to ignore other factors that may or may not be relevant. You say yourself, its tragic, but at the same time you seem to find it hilarious..... make your mind up lol.

Yep you guessed it, you touched a nerve.....
asm1 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:10   #12
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
DDNI is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:17   #13
asm1
Registered User
asm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 637
Lol... have you gueseed yet WHY I'm so pissed off ? N00000.

If the guy WAS handicapped in some way, then I don't think its fair to be quite so "amused" at his plight. I live with a disability that makes me stand out, I've been bullied/mocked and had the piss taken out of me something chronic. So yes pat me on the head and patronise me if it makes you feel better.

It's been done before and I'm sure it will again.......


Andrew
asm1 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:26   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Lol... have you gueseed yet WHY I'm so pissed off ? N00000.

If the guy WAS handicapped in some way, then I don't think its fair to be quite so "amused" at his plight. I live with a disability that makes me stand out, I've been bullied/mocked and had the piss taken out of me something chronic. So yes pat me on the head and patronise me if it makes you feel better.

It's been done before and I'm sure it will again.......


Andrew
I think you need to chill out fella.

You don't know if the guy IS handicapped.

He could quite easily be completely thick and stupid, which is far more likely that your rather bizarre 'handicap' scenario.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:32   #15
asm1
Registered User
asm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I think you need to chill out fella.

You don't know if the guy IS handicapped.

He could quite easily be completely thick and stupid, which is far more likely that your rather bizarre 'handicap' scenario.
Lol, and how do you know he ISN'T ?


just a thought

EDIT: I can see I'm getting nowhere..... I just find it immensely irritating that people automatically make ASSUMPTIONS, because it suits their purpose without considering any other point of view. Yes he could be thick as two short planks but he could also have other problems that is and was the only point I was trying to make.

The fact that everyone refuses to acknowledge another point of view is WONDERFULLY heartening in this day and age. I'm glad that you are all so "open minded" :

Last edited by asm1; 10 November 2009 at 02:40.
asm1 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:36   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Lol, and how do you know he ISN'T ?

just a thought
the same way you don't either, so i'll opt for the less extreme of the two options and just assume he's thick
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:53   #17
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
Look at his writing/letters, I'm pretty sure he is not handicapped.
s2325 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:54   #18
asm1
Registered User
asm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
the same way you don't either, so i'll opt for the less extreme of the two options and just assume he's thick
Because it puts your mind at ease and means you don't have consider the possiblilty of guilt for mocking someone with a disability ?

Assumptions are wonderful (but flawed) cushions against things that we may not be comfortable dealing with...... So its easier to mock the guy for being "thick as pigsh1t" - rather than consider the fact that there (Just might) be more to it....
asm1 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:56   #19
asm1
Registered User
asm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Look at his writing/letters, I'm pretty sure he is not handicapped.

So I guess that tells you everything does it. I'll post a sample of my handwriting/letters for you if you like. I'm sure you will find it easy to "tell" I have a handicap.......

asm1 is offline  
Old 10 November 2009, 02:59   #20
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
I see everyday how disabled people can write or draw, for them it's impossible to write like unfortunate Amiga user.
s2325 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An Amiga inspired story? Oscar Castillo Nostalgia & memories 1 12 April 2010 17:33
Amiga my short story... Claw22000 Member Introductions 31 08 March 2009 23:41
Amiga Story BippyM Nostalgia & memories 112 09 April 2008 00:52
My Amiga research, 2nd step: Amiga Story... Incomparabile Amiga scene 1 02 November 2002 14:41

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.31129 seconds with 12 queries