English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you spend your 'retro Amiga time'?
I spend more time actually playing retro games 6 11.76%
I spend more time reading about and discussing retro games 30 58.82%
I split my time roughly equally 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 March 2010, 09:10   #21
haynor666
retro maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to haynor666
Well, I'm trying to play more than talking about them. Eventually I bought many old games with intention to play but eventually most of them ended on shelf.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 March 2010, 11:57   #22
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor View Post
Well, I'm trying to play more than talking about them. Eventually I bought many old games with intention to play but eventually most of them ended on shelf.

The same with me
Old 17 March 2010, 12:34   #23
haynor666
retro maniac

...and this is not a problem with spare time but simply with will to play old classics. If I play then I play more often new games than old.
Old 17 March 2010, 12:42   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I basically don't play new games, only with few exceptions (Machinarium, for example). Lets say - 5 "modern" or newer (2000+) games in last 6 years. When I want to play something, I almost always turn on my Amiga or C64. The problem is I have not a mood to play if I am not home alone. Which is nearly never. I am constantly disturbed by my GF and my son and I dont have a concentration, which ruins the game feeling. And it is the reason why I talk about games more then play, probably.
Old 17 March 2010, 14:23   #25
haynor666
retro maniac

Yeah, wife and kid might be a "problem" here. I'm expecting my first child at the end of august. Right now I have some spare time but mostly I'm not in mood to play. From august probably I'll be busy all the time.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:23   #26
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I just have waaaay to many games to play! I start a game and then decide i want to play something else on another platform or maybe read about the games sequel before finishing the first one etc... I will never complete all the games i own in my lifetime!
Old 23 March 2010, 02:38   #27
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor View Post
Yeah, wife and kid might be a "problem" here. I'm expecting my first child at the end of august. Right now I have some spare time but mostly I'm not in mood to play. From august probably I'll be busy all the time.
learn to not sleep, my daughter is 11 yrs old now, i havent once stop playing games.. PSX-PC-PS2-XBOX360-Wii-PS3 since the Amiga...

infact my wife doesnt like gaming, i have had to wait until quite late to start a gaming session

no sleep...

my daughter loves gaming, she has her own online account on PSN, plays LittleBig Planet and GTAIV.. hell i'll admit it... Animal Crossing on DS and Wii together (each own a console)

for me gaming isnt a choice any longer, i have to play, if it isnt COD MW2 (pretty good too) then its Turrican II on my A1200 today and then Turrican on my A600, dedicated or what...

but hey that still leaves me time to check ebay, check HOL, post here a bit, check amigakit.com

as i said no sleep
Old 23 March 2010, 08:44   #28
haynor666
retro maniac

My wife hates games. I'm playing mostly at night or when she is watching TV or simply she's not bothering me.
Old 29 March 2010, 02:46   #29
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I don't think there's anything strange or abnormal about this. Most of the time, talking about these games with your friends is simply more fun than playing them. There, I said it. :P

Really, though, we're social beings, so it's only natural that we enjoy having good conversations about our favorite games. Would you really want it to be the other way around?
I can't relate to this _at all_; it seems retarded. Lemme tell you, I only spoke about games with my friends when we couldn't _play_ them (i.e., at school/church/sport/whatever).

Who the hell sat in front of their Amiga and talked about Speedball 2 with their friend when it was there to be _played_?

and whoever thought talking about it instead of playing it was more _fun_? man, were/are you a gamer or a mere human?

I swear some ppl really baffle me!

(BTW, gaming is not an anti-social activity - who are these nubs!? If my best friend were resurrected today, we'd be playing speedball, not talking about his exp in the fuckin afterlife)
Old 02 April 2010, 21:19   #30
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i dont really like talking about games, i prefer hacking / modding / editing or even (attempting to) create them

Multiplayer gaming is always good for a laugh though.

the last single-player game i played properly was Syndicate, and mostly on my lunchbreaks at work.
Old 02 April 2010, 21:45   #31
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

It's funny, now you mention it I spend almost all my 'retro time' fiddling with and modding hardware - on the occasion I do actually play a game it's usually to check all is still working.
Old 02 April 2010, 23:30   #32
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Reynolds
I'm balancing between the equal time of read/play and reading more about them. I afraid I have too much nostalgic feelings about the "good old times", and I want to cheat my memories with good things. "yes, the scrolling was so smooth, the plot was so tremendous, the other one is so addictive, etc." Still recall how I liked Test Drive, but deep in my mind I know how slow it runs on any Amigas. crappy code from Accolade...
And yes, Ruff 'N' Tumble has amazing graphics, but leave me alone with it's scrolling routine... ;I
Old 03 April 2010, 19:05   #33
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

I once made love to a beautiful woman whilst doing the following activites;

Completed Arabian Nights
Read War & Peace
Posted a thread on EAB

Only the Amiga makes it possible Including it's patriotic users!
Old 03 April 2010, 20:16   #34
wilshy

Send a message via AIM to wilshy Send a message via MSN to wilshy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
the last single-player game i played properly was Syndicate, and mostly on my lunchbreaks at work.
Amiga in the work canteen, now there's a novelty
Old 05 April 2010, 03:01   #35
Kroah

In my case, i spend more time diassembling games than playing them. And the few times i play them, it's with the Steem debugger to understand some parts of the disassembled code .

But i can't stop doing this and taking more time playing with my amiga/ST, maybe when i will be fed up with asm...
Old 05 April 2010, 03:05   #36
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
Amiga in the work canteen, now there's a novelty
canteen? haha! no such luxuries!

I open my laptop at my desk, eat my sandwich, get the PS3 pad out and if anyone interrupts me, i mumble "on my lunch" for the duration of my allotted hour.

Its usually pretty obvious i'm "on lunch" if i'm playing SWOS or something though.
Old 05 April 2010, 21:43   #37
Smiley
Amiga-less!

At the moment I read more about retro games than I play them. Too much modern gaming has made me suck at stuff like Apidya and Ruff N Tumble.

Don't have a miggy at the moment so I have been dealing with UAE on the Wii.
AdSense AdSense