English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 May 2002, 12:55   #1
cosmiq

Best games ever!?

Hi amigo's

Wich games do you most like for the Amiga500+, either 1 or 2 player games? I'm desperately looking for some new action games..
My opinion:

1player:------
Turrican II
Cytron

2player:------
SuperCars II
Speedball 2

Now I'm asking your opinion. I heard in earlier posts that chaos engine 1 is cool? (never played it).. anyway.. go ahead and post me some suggestions!

Thanks!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 May 2002, 13:09   #2
oldpx

Play Chaos Engine 1! You won't be sorry

I'll name some action games I like but I'll probably miss many of them, some of them are more strategy or adventure oriented:

SWIV, Silk Worm, Project X, Stardust, Alien Breed (all except 3d ones) Shadow of the Beast (all three of them), Turrican (all three of them), B.C Kid, Gods, Myth, Leander, Walker, Super Frog, First Samurai, Second Samurai, Arabian Nights, Cannon Fodder (both of them), Elvira: the Arcade Game, James Pond (I don't remember which one was good), Fury of the Furries, R-Type 1&2, Apidya, Shadow Dancer, Syndicate, Zool 2, Agony, Pang, Switchblade 2, Universal Warrior

Last edited by Burseg; 30 May 2002 at 13:16.

Old 30 May 2002, 16:09   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Cytron? I thought I was the only one in the whole world to like this little blast'em up.

Burseg already said, but I'll say again. Go for Chaos Engine, you won't regret, it's an excellent action game.

Here are some of my fav action games for Amiga, probably there will be some common names with the burseg list.

Battle Squadron - vertical shmup
Uridium 2 - horizontal shmup
Apidya - horizontal shmup
Ruff 'n' Tumble - Platform
Soccer Kid - Platform
Qwak - Platform
Arabian Nights - Platform
Turrican series - Platform
Benefactor - Platform/Puzzle
The Lost Vikings - Platform/Puzzle
Benefactor - Platform/Puzzle
Brutal Sports Football - Erm.. it's a brutal american football game
Cannon Fodder - War game
Sensible World of Soccer - ok, not exactly an action game, but no amiga games collection is complete without it
All Terrain Race (A.T.R.) - Overhead Racing (If you like Super Cars II, you'll love this one )
Micro Machines - Overhead Racing (great for 2 players blasts)
Alien Breed series - Overhead blast'em up
Flashback - Platform/Arcade Adventure
Another World - Platform/Arcade Adventure

Those are a few I can remember now.. cross the above list with Burseg's list , and you'll get some great action games for your A500. Well, there a couple of games on Burseg's list I don't think I would recommend ... Shadow Dancer is good but not that great, and Elvira:The Arcade Game is no big deal.. but that's just my opnion . I think all James Pond games are great, but I believe he's talking about James Pond 2: Codename Robocod.. that's the most popular one, and indeed is the better one.
Old 30 May 2002, 16:21   #4
cosmiq

Yes, Cytron isn't very popular.. I once mentioned it on a newsgroup and there were a few who replied negative comments on the game.. But I like it very much!
Can I play A.T.R. with 2 players, like SuperCars II? It sounds attractive!
I know a lot of games listed above but I was already forgotten that they existed! Like Battle Squadron - Very kick-ass with two players (one with mouse / other with joystick).. SWIV.. the follow-up from SilkWorm.. GREAT game! - And of course the James Pond series.. In my opinion James Pond I is the best.. Maybe Robocod has better graphics, but I more like the idea of James Pond I...
Thanks for the 'reminder'! ;-)
Old 30 May 2002, 17:06   #5
oldpx

I knew I forgot Another World, Flashback and the Lost Vikings. I'd add Barbarian 2 from psygnosis but I don't think anyone else likes this game other than me (like Elvira, which rocks IMO )

Old 30 May 2002, 17:12   #6
oldpx

I have to add Moonstone and Lotus series.

Old 30 May 2002, 17:56   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think Barbarian 2 have some fans... I am not one of them

A.T.R. can be played with 2 players, but it's not much as fun. There's only player 1 and player 2 cars on the track, and both stays on the SAME SCREEN. If one is "pushed" out of the screen, the game puts it back on the track again. But the game shines on 1-player mode, with the greatest A.I. I've ever seen on a game like this, and amazing track design.

For 2 players overhead racing mayhem, I recommend Micro Machines. It works a bit like A.T.R. , it's a head-to-head competition, and both players are on the same screen. But when a player gets 'off' the screen, the other player is awarded a point. Who makes 8 points first, wins. It may sound harsh, but believe me, it works greatly. Both players always have a chance of winning, but they still need skill to do it (unlike say, Super Mario Kart, where the player behind always get the best power-ups) , and the races are always full of adrenaline. If you look for 2-players action, Micro Machines is one of the best recommendations I can give to you.

Edit: About Cytron.. the only real problem with that game are the graphics.. They could have used a better pallete. most stuff are yellow, and the explosions are BLUE!! What kind of explosion is BLUE? other than that, is a very good game, and one I played a lot.

Heh, now I saw, I've put Benefactor twice on my list

Last edited by Shatterhand; 30 May 2002 at 18:09.
Old 30 May 2002, 18:25   #8
cosmiq

edit2:
and the explosions are BLUE!! What kind of explosion is BLUE? other than that, is a very good game, and one I played a lot.

Hey man, these are hypermodern conversioncharge megablasts! They supposed to be blue!

Yupz.. I know micromachines.. Played it alot on PC.. Great game! Especially the toilet racing track.. Heavy shit! hehehe

Okiz.. I think I'll start with trying Chaos Engine1 ..
thanks again for the ideas folks!
Old 30 May 2002, 18:30   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

lol

The one with race on toilet racing track is Micro Machines 2. I think the 1st one is better, but that's up to personal taste. IMO , the tracks on the 1st one were much better designed. I mean, while nearly 100% of MM1 tracks are great, MM 2 has lots of crap tracks, but a few great ones (The Toilet one , for example )
Old 30 May 2002, 19:51   #10
RCK
Administrator

off-topic

Quote:
cosmic trance
Will you come to "the" august festival ?
"a 4 day electronic and dance music festival inSamothraki Island, Greece"
http://www.samothrakidancefestival.com/

I hope to be there.
Old 30 May 2002, 20:48   #11
Uukrul

If you like Turrican games try Jim Power, imho the best Turrican clone.

Old 31 May 2002, 04:05   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think Turrican and Jim Power are very different games.. apart of being platform blast'em up games, and both have gorgeous graphics, they play very different, Turrican being much more blasty.
But Jim Power is nonetheless a great game, and one I can recommend too
Old 31 May 2002, 04:17   #13
kafiend

Simon the Sorcerer

A wonderfully accesible Adventure game with the difficulty level set just right.
Old 31 May 2002, 04:34   #14
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Amiga Favourites

mine are....

Frontier
Turrican Series
Alien Breed Series (apart from the 3d ones)
Speedball 2
The Chaos Engine
Gods
SuperCars 2
Creatures
ATR
Another World
Flashback
Project-X
Lemmings & Oh No More Lemmings
Ruff N' Tumble
Leander
Defender of the Crown
Wizball
Rainbow Islands (new WinUAE finally supports it)
Eye of the Beholder 1&2
Xenon 2
Roketz
Scorched Tanks
Hired Guns
Wiz N' Liz
Monkey Island 1&2

i wish i had the time to play em all now....

Old 31 May 2002, 10:13   #15
cosmiq

Quote:
Will you come to "the" august festival ?
Probably not. I never heard of it! I see that the party is held in Greece!? Well, that's a bit far away from here.. Anyway.. 4days techno sounds good to me!

I checked some screenshots of Jim Power.. Looks great! I will test it soon. But as I said before.. First of all I'll try the Chaos Engine..
AdSense AdSense