English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 March 2015, 07:54   #701
s2325
Zone Friend

Flashback was not game for kids who liked Sonic, it's too different.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 March 2015, 10:22   #702
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I've always really really wanted to get into Sonic games (apparently everybody loves them), but they're SO mindless!

You just have to keep right pressed while jumping occasionally hoping that you won't lose speed by hitting something. There's no deep objective, nothing to collect - just speed to the finish (hoping to get there alive) and that's it. Boss battles are better, but I've never reached one due to the dullness of the previous levels!
Old 12 March 2015, 10:30   #703
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Clearly you've never made it pass the first world of Sonic 1.
Old 12 March 2015, 11:55   #704
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I've always really really wanted to get into Sonic games (apparently everybody loves them), but they're SO mindless!

You just have to keep right pressed while jumping occasionally hoping that you won't lose speed by hitting something. There's no deep objective, nothing to collect - just speed to the finish (hoping to get there alive) and that's it. Boss battles are better, but I've never reached one due to the dullness of the previous levels!
Not really...

But when speaking of Sonic, IMHO much more fun was Sonic for Sega Master System, witch really was completely different game, and imho was more fun then fancy looking Genesis version.

Might be good time to try both and see, you might like them...
Old 12 March 2015, 20:53   #705
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Another World was not a platform game in any sense, it is really more like an interactive movie, like Dragon's Lair, where you just have to learn the sequence of moves to perform. But even getting killed is a sort of reward in itself because you get to see all the cool animated death scenes.
Old 13 March 2015, 10:21   #706
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Might be, but I've definitely completed more than one world in Sonic Advance (it's the one I spent more time on, compared to the others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Not really...

But when speaking of Sonic, IMHO much more fun was Sonic for Sega Master System, witch really was completely different game, and imho was more fun then fancy looking Genesis version.

Might be good time to try both and see, you might like them...
Yeah, I've played those as well, they were slower from what I remember, which made them way more playable.
Old 13 March 2015, 11:18   #707
Gzegzolka

I have never been big fan of Sonic style games, I like to explore levels with my own speed. Sonic Adventure looks fantastic on Dreamcast, but when I play it on emulator I always discover some gliches that throw me out of map, that's stop me from enjoying this game. I like much more Sonic 1,2 and Sonic CD on Sega CD, they can be fast but they are not "mindless" I meen You need to control how fast You go to reach different places, too fast and You will miss them or land on traps, too slow and You wont reach some platforms or not pass some wall-runs. Sonic games got great paralax backgrounds with many layers - I like that effect when You go somewher low from high and see how big those backgrounds are. Music is also awesome, very addicting. Boss battles are easy (typical hit and avoid).

Most similar game to Sonic on Amiga is Chaos Kid, sometimes I turn it on just to play few first levels and that feel of speed.

There are games that try to be like Mario, and there are games that try to be like Sonic, some platform games like Flasback are "platforms" because they just look like that but play in a different way, more like adventure game where You need to solve puzzle and colect important items. I do not think that interactive-movie is good description, sure there are some nice animations, but You are still in controll for most moments. Dragon's lair was example how much bad those interactive-movie games could be in terms of gameplay.
In platform games You have diversity of gameplay styles, some are based on speed, other ones on runing with gun, etc. etc.

You know, everybody got bit different taste
Old 13 March 2015, 11:57   #708
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Sonic Adventure looks fantastic on Dreamcast, but when I play it on emulator I always discover some gliches that throw me out of map, that's stop me from enjoying this game.
There is your problem....

DC should not be that much today... I got one for 20 bucks with some games?! I actually paid more for Saturn then for DC.
Old 13 March 2015, 19:49   #709
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There's a difference between sheer frustation and "damn, i try it again". Play Yolanda!
I'd never heard of this until you mentioned it. I can't believe it was made by the same guy who coded Robocod. For anyone who enjoys the 'die as often as you breathe' play mechanic, this will be right up your street. Deleted!
Old 13 March 2015, 20:12   #710
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Another World was not a platform game in any sense, it is really more like an interactive movie, like Dragon's Lair, where you just have to learn the sequence of moves to perform. But even getting killed is a sort of reward in itself because you get to see all the cool animated death scenes.
Yah, I agree that Another World/Flashback/Prince of Persia are not really platform games. They are puzzle-come-interactive movies. I never cared for them myself.

I did always like the Oddworld series on the PSX though. I thought they improved on the formula.

Quote:
Definitely. The second level of Sonic 1 is a relaxing maze where you spend just as much time going left instead of right. Sonic 1 had amazing level design. If all you ever played was Sonic 2 I can see why someone might think it was a 'push right' fest.
Old 21 April 2015, 20:56   #711
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I'd never heard of this until you mentioned it. I can't believe it was made by the same guy who coded Robocod. For anyone who enjoys the 'die as often as you breathe' play mechanic, this will be right up your street. Deleted!
He didn't design the game, it was just a port from an older game made by some other guy.

I am a big fan of Chris Sorrel's work .
Old 21 April 2015, 22:13   #712
demether

Robocod is a great plateform game. Huge levels, good difficulty curve, great playability and innovative gameplay (with the "bionic" body), disks access reduced, great music.
Old 21 April 2015, 23:43   #713
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
He didn't design the game, it was just a port from an older game made by some other guy.

I am a big fan of Chris Sorrel's work .
Me too, that was my point. That would explain the radical departure from form then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
Robocod is a great plateform game. Huge levels, good difficulty curve, great playability and innovative gameplay (with the "bionic" body), disks access reduced, great music.
Agreed on every point; it's a masterpiece and one of the few games I never seem to tire of, even after all these years. I fell in love with the game 2 minutes after playing the cake level demo I got on a magazine cover disk, and the full game was the first thing on my Christmas wish list that year.
Old 22 April 2015, 00:11   #714
demether

I still whistle or sing the 2 main songs of this game, 20years later, when working, driving my car, etc...

That's definitly one of my all time favorite games.
Old 22 April 2015, 15:37   #715
Pyromania

I don't like FPS games and thought platform games were always one of the Amigas strengths. It had a few duds but so does every platform.l
Old 22 April 2015, 21:55   #716
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
I still whistle or sing the 2 main songs of this game, 20years later, when working, driving my car, etc...

That's definitly one of my all time favorite games.
I couldn't get them out of my head with a lobotomy even if I wanted to!

Also worth noting; it's the first and last game featuring product placement that actually added to its endearing charm.

I think the title of this thread should read, "I prefer console platformers". While the Amiga had several me-too console platform game rip-offs, mostly the best platformers were simply different. Not worse, just different. Personally I think this is one area where the Amiga excelled. I still don't really get the appeal of Mario and Sonic.
Old 29 April 2015, 10:51   #717
TenLeftFingers

I can't say why they may or not be partixularly bad on the Amiga per se, but I think the problem as I experience it lies within the platform genre itself.

Lets face it, its a very limiting structure to place a game in and its been done millions of times. The only progessions I've seen in modern days is the likes of Braid or ones that dynamically generate levels and even thats not enough to draw me away from classics like Sleepwalker (a very original concept regardless of anything else).

To my mind, there were only a handful of original platofrmers and the rest differ only in their sprites, music and licensing deals.
Old 04 May 2015, 20:01   #718
JudasEZT

long reading this thread..

I find Second Samurai is one of the best platformers ever. And much better on Amiga than its overstimulated Megadrive/Genesis version.

First Samurai is rather good too. Just a bit slow for nowadays standards.

Another platformer which deserved more recognition is Hudson Hawk.
It is not as big as a typical 16bit console platformer.. is more like the typical small 8 bit european computer game.. not much long, fucking hard.. also counts with the typical jump-button problem..
But it's hard design and humor is something rarely you'll find on console. More over is a good challenge for very expert and hardcore gamers ( its inertia is not for everyone ).

Another which could be slightly better, but I love it as it is.. is MontyPhytonFlyingCircus ..

Last edited by JudasEZT; 04 May 2015 at 20:09.
Old 05 May 2015, 14:46   #719
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I Love Hudson Hawk too. It got some console ports, at least NES and GameBoy from what I remeber. Yet the Amiga version was better than all of them.

The graphics were good enough, the music was pretty good (MUSIC + SFX as it should always be!) and it was really challenging. I saw many people complaining about the inertina on it, but I think it was desgined to be this way on purpose, it takes a while to get used with it, but its part of its gameplay design and makes the game more interesting.
Old 05 May 2015, 17:41   #720
JudasEZT

Yes, people complained about its inertia... and yes, it was part of its design..

People also complained about jump system.. you press jump and Hudson makes jump+direction.
I think that precise complaint is well based and logic. Even with that flaw, I love that game
AdSense AdSense