English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 December 2009, 01:55   #281
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Good, then we have a common enemy We should join forces and...
Wait! I actually like all three That sucks! We need to find someone else to bully around. Hmm, there was this Chupa Chups guy...
Theres always "Gex" the gecko - an old 3DO mascot
The only Chupa Chups thing i can think of is Zool.... but i kinda like Zool

.... Rayman must die
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 December 2009, 02:03   #282
TCD
Global Moderator

Yeah, Rayman and Gex are good choices Oh and this Spyro dragon thingy
Now, we haven't talked about 3D platformers yet, have we?
Old 15 December 2009, 02:04   #283
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Yeah, Rayman and Gex are good choices Oh and this Spyro dragon thingy
Now, we haven't talked about 3D platformers yet, have we?
We can also add Crash Bandicoot to that list too
Old 15 December 2009, 16:50   #284
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
We can also add Crash Bandicoot to that list too
That game was rendered in 3d, but for the vast majority of the time played strictly as a 2d game. Kinda like Doom in that way.
Old 15 December 2009, 16:58   #285
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
That game was rendered in 3d, but for the vast majority of the time played strictly as a 2d game. Kinda like Doom in that way.
Yes the graphics came out pretty well for an early PS1 game although it is really a 2D game with some 3D trickery Doom was (still is in it's own right) a great game and i still have my original 486 PC that i first played it on
Old 15 December 2009, 17:20   #286
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Yeah, Turrican had balls You could fecking shoot things (not like that wimpy 'fire flower' thingy) Just saying you know
In fact, you could also explode (in T2) to kill enemies. Now THATs commitment to the cause.
Old 16 December 2009, 06:52   #287
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Theres always "Gex" the gecko - an old 3DO mascot
The only Chupa Chups thing i can think of is Zool.... but i kinda like Zool

.... Rayman must die
Rayman sucks, but Gex is cool
The first Gex game, the 2D one, had really nice gameplay and lots of moves.
I like it a lot, I have both the Playstation and PC versions (they're identical but the scrolling is much better in the Playstation version... well, in an emulator anyway, I don't have a real Playstation so I can't say how it scrolls there).
Old 23 December 2009, 08:58   #288
vulture

A bit OT, but I saw C65 was mentioned as a better machine than miggy. Well, other than the 8-bit palette on screen, it was quite an inferior design in every other aspect compared to A500. And, regardless, we don't know how fast the new VIC would move things with all 256c displayed simultaneously. Just saying....
Old 23 December 2009, 09:09   #289
laffer
Zone Friend

I actually happen to like a lot of Amiga platformers. I think the sometimes not so professional feel of some of them kind of adds to the charm somehow
Old 23 December 2009, 11:40   #290
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I don't think any Amiga platformer comes within one lightyear of Super Metroid.
I do like some Amiga platfomers, like Turrican series, Rainbow Islands/Parasol Stars, Leander, Ruff n Tumble, Yo! Joe!, Prince of Persia/Flashback, BC Kid and Robocod, but they cannot hold a candle, in my opinion, to the better platformers on the SNES, Genesis, or PC-Engine.

As for non-professionalism can equal charm, that's true. But so's the reverse, and, to me, the Mario franschise proves the reverse beyond reasonable doubt.
Old 27 August 2013, 17:11   #291
s2325
Zone Friend

Old 27 August 2013, 20:21   #292
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Very interesting. Could you post the exact reference of this article (magazine, issue, page)?

It raises two points for HOL notes in the game entries for which I will start a thread a bit later:
1) Is Alfred based on the NES or the GB release of the game?
2) Is Wonderdog actually using the CR2engine?
Old 27 August 2013, 20:27   #293
s2325
Zone Friend

It's from first issue of Amiga Game Zone (1994). Sorry, I don't remember which page, scans are on computer at my work. If you compare size of playfield in both games they are almost the same.

Last edited by s2325; 27 August 2013 at 20:33.
Old 28 August 2013, 13:10   #294
s2325
Zone Friend

It's from page 24 (26 in PDF viewer)
http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/am...4_Premiere.zip
Old 28 August 2013, 13:13   #295
Marcuz
Wurk???

That article is very actual in 2013, on the unbalance between game characters and actual game in which the characters act.

It is however based on the false premise that the games the guy played in his oh so arcadic times of olde were the normal instead something seminal, an episode; the gameplay he referred to was probably already trasitioning from an infancy of home entertainment software with limited distribution to a large commercial venture.

Plus, on the boxes of those MSX or CBM64 games, there were no single pixels representing whatever, but illustrations depicting heroes, menaces, situations, that were there to sell the game.
Old 28 August 2013, 13:34   #296
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

The Amiga platform games of that period were really trying to compete with those on the consoles, especially Sonic the Hedgehog, and a lot of those games were really very good. It's not the focus on the "cute character" that did the Amiga games down, so much as the fact that they were trying too hard to be like something else, and failing. Those games were mostly just not very well designed. It was all style over substance, and even the style wasn't really up to scratch.
Old 09 September 2013, 13:18   #297
sokolovic

There is only one reason most amiga games don't compete with the consoles ones : money (and fast conversion appealing and no quality control by C=)

Just watch the devs teams on each system and you'll understand.

Games like Mr Nutz, Brian the Lion or Kid Chaos prove that amiga could easily have handled great platformers with fast multi parallaxes scrollings and gorgeous graphics. Ruff'n'Tumble is also impressive althought there isn't any parallaxes.

In my opinion, it was really only a matter of money (and maybe time, especially in the mid 90's when editors were rushing amiga's developpers in order to save maximum money after C= bankrupcy ) . Only one coder and one graphician for Cool Spot, the Lion King and Puggsy and one coder and two graphicians for Aladdin.
Then compare it to the teams on the consoles versions, or to the team behin amiga's Mr Nutz (http://hol.abime.net/2527). Kid Chaos is an exception, one coder and one graphician, but Magnetic Fields were surely much more talented at mastering the amiga than John Twiddy (and Kid Chaos was made with the Amiga in mind).

Look at James Pond 3 on amiga. It's an AGA only version (!!!). Even on a stock A500 with 1MB of ram, I'm sure you could have made better. Mr Nutz prove it easily. And what was the reason for not having the same parallaxes of the consoles version on the A1200 and the CD32 ? Time and money.
Old 10 September 2013, 14:37   #298
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Look at James Pond 3 on amiga. It's an AGA only version (!!!). Even on a stock A500 with 1MB of ram, I'm sure you could have made better. Mr Nutz prove it easily. And what was the reason for not having the same parallaxes of the consoles version on the A1200 and the CD32 ? Time and money.
Time and money are no excuse. Ok Mr Beanbag took me a long time but I learnt to program asm/Amiga hardware while I was doing it, and I only did it on and off while I was in full time education. I also suffer terrible lapses in motivation. Had it been my full time job to do it, and if I'd had anyone to help me at all, it could have been finished a lot quicker.

I think it's more to do with a lack of vision. People just churned stuff out and didn't really care, for which I would blame management rather than the development teams. Too many small companies in competition perhaps, instead of a few large companies making polished products, it was quantity over quality. But another thing that Sega or Nintendo didn't have to contend with. A lot of Amiga games were not just Amiga games, but were developed for multiple platforms simultaneously, so targeted the lowest common denominator. Bitmap Brothers games were all designed for the Atari ST hence no parallax. It seemed like only a few houses such as Psygnosis dared make anything that was Amiga-specific so it could really take advantage of the hardware. Shame that their game design was so bad.

EDIT: although it occurs to me Xenon II Megablast had parallax scrolling even on ST, goodness knows how they managed that.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 10 September 2013 at 14:49.
Old 10 September 2013, 14:41   #299
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yeah, imagine a Bitmap Brothers (design) and Psygnosis (technics) co-production back then. Could have been a great game.
Old 10 September 2013, 15:31   #300
kipper2k

Maybe i'm too easy to please, i think there are a lot of good platformers for the Amiga. Some of the controls are a pain at times like jump forward and backward, (never seem to be able to move the joystick in 45 deg increments). Someone should make a controller with little detentes (bumps) so that we know when we are in one of the 8 positions.
AdSense AdSense