English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 May 2010, 14:16   #221
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Regarding Argus, this guy 'Philip Mulholland' clearly has a copy of the full game (I suspect he set up the Argus website back in 1996 to help Craig with sales).

http://argus00.tripod.com/

Anyway, from some googling (and without reading the Argus readme.txt) it seems that Craig and Phil are both from Australia? There's an active programmer down under by the name Craig Burlock, and I think he is on facebook, so I'll try dropping him a pm tonight.

Please let me know if I'm investigating up the wrong path before I mail him!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 May 2010, 14:47   #222
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

RE: Argus - Craig Burlock certainly is in Australia - that's where I sent my letter... his email address is dead BTW

Please feel free to follow up any leads you may have - it would be great if more people could get involved in the hunt for these game as it does take a bit of time and more often than not the search does prove fruitless. I never really meant for this thread to just become a place to request lost games, I rather hoped that people would follow my example in hunting for games and this would be a place to share them

I am really grateful to all who have participated and contributed
Old 11 May 2010, 15:08   #223
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Of course Peter - that's exactly what I was proposing. I'm interested in helping out, and will do some work in trying to find some of these

I think people have been using this thread primarily as a place to post what info they have about missing games - no one is expecting you to do all the work!

Also, it's worth noting that this thread has at least resulted in some lost games being found, so you deserve a pat on the back for instigating all of this

BTW Peter, have you been using Facebook to try and find some of these people? If not, then I'll give it a go (but I don't want to pointlessly repeat something you've already done).
Old 11 May 2010, 15:16   #224
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
...however, from searching here it seems an ex-eab member called MackMack actually had a copy of the full version on floppy disk. Is there any way of moderators retrieving ex-members contact details so we can drop him a line?
Alas, sadly this isn't possible.
Old 11 May 2010, 15:44   #225
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Thanks Heavy Stylus

I'm not a big Facebook user so that would be a great place for you to investigate!
Old 11 May 2010, 16:17   #226
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

OK, will do.

Back to Xenomorphs; I did a bit of digging on Aiden M Boustred and found that he actually released a demo of Xenomorphs 2 (as well as another game called Culture Tank) after that first game release. I'll check these out later.

However, I think I may have found him working for a company in Nottingham called Union Square Software (which would tie in with him going to Sheffield Uni). I've emailed and will let you know what I hear back.

The email I sent was as follows:

-------------------------------

Hi there,

Apologies for emailing this work account, but I’m trying to track down a gentleman by the name of Aidan M. Boustred. Back in the 90’s he used to live at his family home in Reigate, Surrey, and went to Sheffield University. He used to be an active Amiga programmer, and there are members of the Amiga community who are wishing to get in touch with him regarding some of his old work.

I believe he works (or previously worked) for Union Square Software. If so, please could you ask him to drop me a line when he gets a chance? You can either reply on this email or use xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon!

James.

-------------------------------------------

I hope that's the right sort of thing to say!

If only more coders had uncommon names such as Aiden M Boustred!

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 11 May 2010 at 16:39.
Old 11 May 2010, 16:29   #227
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Perfect - fingers crossed!
Old 11 May 2010, 16:36   #228
TCD
Global Moderator

Cheers Heavy Stylus
Maybe you want to 'obfuscate' your email addy? Just in case you know
Old 11 May 2010, 18:05   #229
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

And here's Aidan's reply

--------------------------------------------

Your email to Sales has been passed to me. I'm guessing that you are trying to contact me with reference to Xenomorphs. If this is the case, then the answer is that I'm happy to release what I have, but not entirely sure what I've got. I'm fairly certain that the source code won't be in the public domain anywhere, because as far as I remember, I was the only person who ever had it - the full game went to a handful of people, so one of them may have the lha files. I definitely do have all the original IFF graphics on my PC. However, the game was on my HD, which I got rid of long ago, but I may have a floppy backup of the uncompiled code somewhere. I'll have a dig around tonight, and if that turns up blank then I'll will have a rummage when I'm down at my parents in a couple of weeks time. It is more likely that I have the original LHAs of the full game than the source code.
Old 11 May 2010, 18:09   #230
TCD
Global Moderator

Sounds great Fingers crossed he finds some stuff
Old 11 May 2010, 18:28   #231
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

I'll be happy enough to see the gfx
Old 11 May 2010, 18:38   #232
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Excellent news! Great Stuff
Old 11 May 2010, 19:34   #233
hitm4n

Looking forward to hearing if you have any luck with John Hardie on Facebook. Platman is a BIG favourite of mine and those 50 rooms don't last me very long any more, played em so many times...
Old 11 May 2010, 19:45   #234
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Hehe - well, trying to track down Argus has left my facebook account blocked for now. It seems that multiple messages being sent in a short amount of time (to identify the correct person) = ban

Should be lifted later this week.

Ah. Also, it seems there are 143 John Hardie's on FB :P
Old 12 May 2010, 09:18   #235
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

More good news; Aidan has found the full version of Xenomorphs. He's also found a zip disk (amiga formatted) that he believes contains the source code. I have a PC zip drive here that I use to transfer data to and from my atari; is there any way I can access the data on an amiga formatted zip disk via UAE?

Otherwise, is there anyone here with a zip disk attached to their amiga who could transfer the data to a cd rom?
Old 12 May 2010, 09:25   #236
TCD
Global Moderator

Great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
is there any way I can access the data on an amiga formatted zip disk via UAE?
You can 'mount' the zip disk as a HD in WinUAE I guess.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:32   #237
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

I don't need a catweasle or anything to do that?
Old 12 May 2010, 09:34   #238
TCD
Global Moderator

You need a zip drive in your PC. That should be enough, but I've never tried it. Just try to select it via 'Hard drives' -> 'Add Hard Drive...'.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:37   #239
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-109

OK, so it seems that this should prove to be simple enough
Old 12 May 2010, 10:23   #240
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

That is fantastic - just a few short steps away from reinstating another Amiga full game!!
Great work Heavy Stylus - thank you!

I am sure that Asman would be interested in seeing the code as well.
AdSense AdSense