English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 16 September 2009, 23:59   #21
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
hiya,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
It would be awesome if this could play some of the rarer formats... especially if it can do like Deliplayer and play .cust files somehow, although I can imagine this isn't an easy thing to program.
custom modules do present a problem..
it wouldn't be too difficult to play them.. but any kind of understanding or translation of the data wouldn't be possible, because the structure of the data would be undefined; this means no possible support in the sequencer view, instrument mixer, module info.. etc

a custom module cannot be defined as a format, because it's really just a wrapper for an undefined format.. but the data enclosed within the wrapper is still a format, and i think it's important for historical preservation that the format itself, independent of the wrapper, must be properly defined and recognised.
because of this, i don't aim to provide any support for custom modules themselves, but i do want to support the formats contained within them

hrm.. unless..

do you think i should write additional play-only support for custom modules?
.. this would sadly mean special exception to eMod's overall vision.. eMod's full range tools should be adaptable to all types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
(would be great if rewire was available for synchronisation with cubase etc)
great idea!

i don't intend to support any new-gen formats.. but rewire would be superb.. would give you the flexibility to use eMod with the new-gen apps if you wish

i know very little about midi's inner workings, and i would indeed like your help with this in the future, thanks

added this to the todo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
Encountered 1 cash when using this so far.. but I'm unable to replicate it. It occurred when I loaded up a mod whilst one was already playing.
oh no!! first crash report..

it's very important to catch these elusive bugs now before they cause more serious problems if more layers are added on top of them. rotten roots = dead tree

please grab the debug info from the windows report if you can, whenever you get a crash

Last edited by snyp; 17 September 2009 at 01:51.
snyp is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 September 2009, 15:02   #22
pattinsonrobert
 
Posts: n/a
Hi Snyp.

Nice effort. All the best for your project.
Keep it good work.It's pleasure to be a part of your forum. I love to try also what you are discussing here. Thanks!
 
Old 16 November 2010, 20:34   #23
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
New release 16th November 2010. Check it out
snyp is offline  
Old 17 November 2010, 02:46   #24
Cammy
Registered User
Cammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 1,134
This program looks really cool, I can't wait for the Aros/AmigaOS version.
Cammy is offline  
Old 17 November 2010, 12:32   #25
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
This program looks really cool, I can't wait for the Aros/AmigaOS version.
Thanks!

I don't know anything about the API for AmigaOS, hopefuly someone will port it when I release the source
snyp is offline  
Old 19 November 2010, 14:59   #26
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Just saw some mention of my search stuff earlier. I am happy to give external (sql) access to my search databases if its useful to you.
BuZz is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 00:22   #27
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
Just saw some mention of my search stuff earlier. I am happy to give external (sql) access to my search databases if its useful to you.
Excellent, I would really appreciate that BuZz.
Actually the 'browser' will probably be the next thing to work on. WIP right now is some functions of the 'converter'.

I will throw a PM your way when I get an SQL framework set up

regards
snyp is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 00:32   #28
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
However, the pattern offset calculation is rather slow... Hencing the "Seek" box when you jump to another pattern. What's up with that? Should be instant...
Hopefuly the work I have done since the first alpha has addressed this.
On my Pentium 4 (overclocked to just over 4Ghz) it now takes around 600ms to seek to a 10-minute offset.
Within the 600ms, a complete run of all emulated 68000 code is run to preserve integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asle View Post
"those three.mod" has 2 extra bytes. "classic.fc" has quite a few extra bytes too
Hopefuly the 'File Medic' can help diagnose issues like this. In some circumstances it can offer an automatic repair of corrupt data.
I am still working on this area of the application
snyp is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 01:54   #29
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyp View Post
Excellent, I would really appreciate that BuZz.
Actually the 'browser' will probably be the next thing to work on. WIP right now is some functions of the 'converter'.

I will throw a PM your way when I get an SQL framework set up

regards
sure thing. If SQL on the client side would be annoying, we can setup server side stuff with xml output perhaps. i have that in place for modland actually in a basic form, which is used my my xbmc modland plugin - where you send a search string and you get back tunes related to that but the streaming urls, so they can be streamed to the xbox1 or htpc running xbmc. for modland we also store instrument data for some formats, and in hvsc we have a bunch of other data. mostly relational depending on if we need to index from it, otherwise its data packed in json format.

since we already use md5s for reference actually people could already use th streaming interface again their mod collection.. for example

http://modstream.exotica.org.uk/mods...2313b8b98bfcd3

would stream termination day from 4-mat in ogg format or

http://modstream.exotica.org.uk/mods...98bfcd3&fm=mp3

in mp3..

so anyone with a mod collection could actually do an md5sum and try and see if we have it and stream if it matched..

there is actually

http://modstream.exotica.org.uk/mods...8bfcd3&fm=flac

also... currently non public due to bandwidth.. oops. well it was ;-) the service isnt used as much as i thought so what the hell
BuZz is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 12:54   #30
trackah123
Amiga User

trackah123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delft / The Netherlands
Posts: 323
Looks good, actually maybe it could be a good converter in the future to convert all kinds of old formats to new tracker formats like MadTracker or Renoise files. Would be great to make Amiga-remixes!
trackah123 is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 12:57   #31
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackah123 View Post
Looks good, actually maybe it could be a good converter in the future to convert all kinds of old formats to new tracker formats like MadTracker or Renoise files. Would be great to make Amiga-remixes!
I think it would be even better to convert things to MID0 or MID1 format.

Samples are a bit harder but most software nowadays will import nearly anything, cue the Aphex Twin track.
Loedown is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 13:36   #32
trackah123
Amiga User

trackah123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delft / The Netherlands
Posts: 323
True, for example Renoise loads XM and MOD.
But i tried a MED file from Addams Family game, and that was a bit harder.

First i had to convert all hybrids to samples in Octamed v4 itself, then used a tool from Aminet called Med2XM and then i could import the XM into Renoise.
trackah123 is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 13:47   #33
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackah123 View Post
True, for example Renoise loads XM and MOD.
But i tried a MED file from Addams Family game, and that was a bit harder.

First i had to convert all hybrids to samples in Octamed v4 itself, then used a tool from Aminet called Med2XM and then i could import the XM into Renoise.
So what's the point, make something that converts to a current standard and keep the source code open for future developments, MID 0/1 is an old standard but it's still current.
Loedown is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 17:41   #34
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
If SQL on the client side would be annoying, we can setup server side stuff with xml output perhaps. i have that in place for modland actually in a basic form, which is used my my xbmc modland plugin - where you send a search string and you get back tunes related to that but the streaming urls, so they can be streamed to the xbox1 or htpc running xbmc. for modland we also store instrument data for some formats, and in hvsc we have a bunch of other data. mostly relational depending on if we need to index from it, otherwise its data packed in json format.
Well, if people will be using eMod to browse and fetch data from your domain, bandwidth becomes an issue, especially if we are thinking about mp3 (or flac!). I would like to see access to the module files themselves, with SQL queries to search and sort the title/artist/game/demo etc.

You have given me other ideas too, maybe I should include a seperate workspace to connect to radio streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
So what's the point, make something that converts to a current standard and keep the source code open for future developments, MID 0/1 is an old standard but it's still current.
The thesis behind conversion between two formats is to convert the source into a 'language', and then convert that to the destination format. Because of the different types of effects provided by different formats, the conversion language needs to be as generic as I can make it, and unfortunately in some cases there will be accuracy issues in the destination output; synth sounds converted to pitched samples is one example, arpeggio effects is another example.

Point of interest, when I begin work on the editor/sequencer workspace, I intend to develop a 'super-format', which will closely emulate the synth sounds of several formats in one piece of music. Example, playing Delta Music sounds with Future Composer sounds with Sonic Arranger sounds.
snyp is offline  
Old 20 November 2010, 17:56   #35
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyp View Post
Well, if people will be using eMod to browse and fetch data from your domain, bandwidth becomes an issue, especially if we are thinking about mp3 (or flac!). I would like to see access to the module files themselves, with SQL queries to search and sort the title/artist/game/demo etc.
the bandwidth for the data wouldnt be much for the database. the streams would use a fair amount if it was busy, but usage is quite low at the moment. the streaming backend was not really relevant for you I guess but I wanted to mention it . for the database stuff for modland for example you can pull out module name, author, instruments, collections (which could be a playlist, or the name of a game the module is from) and a few other things. this is just generated from the modland filesystem structure. for hvsc, we use the filesystem + the meta data in the sids, + the stil + remix.kwed.org references to link to remixes. I am happy to share the scripts for hvsc/modland etc if you are interested (made in perl).
BuZz is offline  
Old 22 November 2010, 00:15   #36
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
for hvsc, we use the filesystem + the meta data in the sids, + the stil + remix.kwed.org references to link to remixes. I am happy to share the scripts for hvsc/modland etc if you are interested (made in perl).
I would definitely be interested in the HVSC scripts Buzz, thanks
However I'm not planning on the work for SID (and C64 hardware emulation) support for many months yet.

Because HVSC is as important as it is, I will most likely begin work on the 'browser' workspace, the SID format, and c64 emulation at the same time. Can i ask you to retrieve them from your backups in a few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
for the database stuff for modland for example you can pull out module name, author, instruments, collections (which could be a playlist, or the name of a game the module is from) and a few other things. this is just generated from the modland filesystem structure.
Generating lists and metadata from the filesystem is pretty much what I'd planned with most online collections..

This reminds me of something you can clarify for me BuZz, a few months ago I downloaded a chunk of the filesystem on Unexotica to get an idea of how to organise your collection, and I spotted .txt files such as "composer.txt" and "archivename.txt".. How are they generated? Do I need to parse them, or will our SQL interface bypass anything useful in these files?
snyp is offline  
Old 22 November 2010, 00:32   #37
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyp View Post
Can i ask you to retrieve them from your backups in a few months?
sure. are you like

I'll sort you out with a copy. you might need to remind me - you can contact me on buzz [at] exotica.org.uk - I need to just remove one thing from the script which is the private reference/access to the remix.kwed.org site to pull out their data. you can contact them and ask for access if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyp View Post
Generating lists and metadata from the filesystem is pretty much what I'd planned with most online collections..

This reminds me of something you can clarify for me BuZz, a few months ago I downloaded a chunk of the filesystem on Unexotica to get an idea of how to organise your collection, and I spotted .txt files such as "composer.txt" and "archivename.txt".. How are they generated? Do I need to parse them, or will our SQL interface bypass anything useful in these files?
they are manually generated by contributors, but then the data is gathered up by a perl "bot" which then edits the various related wiki pages.

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/UnExoticA/Structure

however I may well make a sql database for this stuff too to have a similar search frontend as for modland.
BuZz is offline  
Old 22 November 2010, 01:19   #38
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
private reference/access to the remix.kwed.org site to pull out their data. you can contact them and ask for access if needed.
I can't decide.. Something to include as something more than a web link..

Once I heard a remix of Saboteur II and I loved it so much I emailed the remix author to discuss it, maybe he is here on the forum, Marcel Donne?

Remixes shed a light and cast a shadow..


Then again, special interest is special interest

Last edited by snyp; 22 November 2010 at 01:39.
snyp is offline  
Old 22 November 2010, 05:32   #39
8bitbubsy
Registered User

8bitbubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norway
Age: 28
Posts: 1,254
Send a message via MSN to 8bitbubsy
What .MOD replayer do you use? It even plays black_queen.mod correctly - impressive!
I guess it's not one you coded yourself since you use the UAE emulator in your program?
8bitbubsy is offline  
Old 22 November 2010, 14:29   #40
snyp
'Difficult'.
snyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 39
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
What .MOD replayer do you use? It even plays black_queen.mod correctly - impressive!
I guess it's not one you coded yourself since you use the UAE emulator in your program?
I use protracker's source replayer with some modifications. UAE is used to translate/execute the motorola opcodes, then the Paula/DMA state is captured.

Re: black_queen.mod,
I looked this up on youtube and I can see what you mean
As you can see, playing this module in eMod doesn't come with the visual 'tricks' which comes with playing it in Protracker.. The pattern data you see is produced by a function in the plugin DLL. Each format has it's own version of this 'translator' function which basically runs through the module and produces a table of the data for each pattern step.
The red lines in the pattern view denote a pattern break, and yellow lines denote a loop.

Following on from your post I tested 'ode 2 protracker' as well, apparently notorious for it's trickery..

Last edited by snyp; 22 November 2010 at 15:19.
snyp is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old music program Marcuz request.Apps 53 08 February 2011 16:05
PC music program Galahad/FLT Nostalgia & memories 18 01 March 2008 16:11
Weird music program semt-x request.Apps 3 04 July 2007 16:47
I'm after a Music creating program!! Zeewolf request.Apps 11 08 October 2001 20:19

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.28703 seconds with 12 queries